PDA

View Full Version : Happy (fill in here) Holiday!

Zoe Girl
3-27-16, 1:13pm
I know it is Easter for the majority, so Happy Easter. I actually bought my kids chocolate bunnies and am taking them to Indian food buffet which is our tradition.

At my grocery store there is a section with a big sign for passover as well, so I saw that Purim was last week and Passover coming up. I don't know all the correct information on that but happy holidays.

I am sure there are many other holidays around so happy holiday for that.

And a little grumpy, I wish that I had raised my kids as more Buddhist or practiced more in the Buddhist tradition when they were younger. I made compromises with family to find middle ground, That seems like a good idea, I just now have no connection to what this holiday is other than food and some bunnies.

iris lilies
3-27-16, 1:46pm
I didnt know that Indian food was an Easter thing. Last night we had 8 people here for Indian buffet. I have friends who are fabulous cooks. My dishes were mediocre,theirs were sublime. I didnt even coordinate the menu and we still had a perfectly balanced Indian spread.

JaneV2.0
3-27-16, 1:57pm
It's probably like Chinese food is a Christmas thing. We once had a vegan Thanksgiving at the Bamboo Garden on Roy. But I'm always up for Indian food. Ham and jelly beans, not so much.

Zoe Girl
3-27-16, 3:20pm
When we lived in California we belonged to a very small church (some said cult-ish but I disagree because I argued with the priest). It was Indian Orthodox so we would go to these fabulous Indian buffets in the San Jose area when we met. The head honcho lived in India for 2 years so he loved it but I has also been eating Indian food since college in Boulder in the 80's. In any case I cannot imagine eating ham, I have not had pork anything since I was 13. One year I did Easter with my sister and she made the ham and potatoes and I made some Indian dishes, my BIL loved the curry eggplant with ham and scalloped potatoes.

Oh and my daughter's first instinct this week was to wish everyone a happy spring solstice! The she decided she was weird enough at work with the pink and blue hair, but it encouraged me that the way I raised them has not just been erased by dominant culture. Weird thing to worry about.

iris lilies
3-27-16, 3:25pm
I like pork a lot. But hate salty, cured ham.

I like fresh ham roasts and pork chops because that meat is mild tasting and you can do so many things with it: stir fries, thai dishes, etc.

rodeosweetheart
3-27-16, 3:26pm
We went to meeting this morning and it was quiet and nice and people were inspired to sing a few hymns. I am such a shy person that I can't imagine speaking up, but I can certainly sing, and really, have only felt happy in church singing or playing an instrument, so it's nice to find a meeting that is pretty laid back and people get inspired to sing.
Then we went to the omelette shop.
I guess traditional Easter eggs, haha?
Happy Easter, Zoe. have never heard of an Indian Orthodox church--that is really interesting!

rodeosweetheart
3-27-16, 3:27pm
Speaking of salty, cured ham, my mom used to make Virginia ham, which involved years of hanging hams from rafters and scraping off years of mold and boiling in salt brine.
The deal was you got the ham your child's christening and then cooked it for the child's wedding.
Definitely an acquired taste, and not something I have bothered to make myself lately.

SteveinMN
3-27-16, 8:52pm
Speaking of salty, cured ham, my mom used to make Virginia ham
My parents did that. Once. They got a real SmithfieldŽ ham. It was so big that my dad asked his buddy at the deli down the road to cook it in their oven as it would not fit in ours. Saltiest stringiest thing in history. It probably cost a small fortune (especially to our family) and it was virtually inedible. I don't believe I've partaken in such a ham since.

We did enjoy our ALDI spiral-cut ham at DW's family's celebration and many people took home a sandwich or two worth of leftovers. They're a family of traditionalists, so making a fresh ham (as IL mentioned, and which I love) would not cut it. We ended up with the rest of the ham, much of which will be frozen for enjoyment at some future date (a frugal).

JaneV2.0
3-28-16, 11:28am
Spiral-cut ham can be delicious; I enjoy ham a couple of times a year. Jelly beans not at all. I always think of Ronald Reagan and dementia, oddly.

Simplemind
3-28-16, 1:36pm
Glad to hear I'm not the only ham hater. I will eat a small bit of a honey ham. Anything else has so much sodium it makes my lips and tongue burn then crave water for hours. Easter dinner for me has always been about the sides, fresh seasonal spring veggies. My mom always made the most luscious lemon pies.