PDA

View Full Version : My electric trike is ready!

Gardenarian
4-21-16, 7:57pm
I've been wanting an electric trike for quite a while now, and a couple of weeks ago I took myself to the bike shop and placed an order.
They make them custom, and mine will be ready for pick up tomorrow! I can't wait!!

I'm really looking forward to being able to go grocery shopping and stuff without a car - and without worrying about falling over or running out of steam.
This is my new ride: The Rogue Sherpa (http://ashlandelectricbikes.com/rogue-sherpa/)

(Pricey, I know, butI got a bit of a discount, and the folks who built it are right in my neighborhood. They give free tune-ups and stuff.)

Ultralight
4-21-16, 8:02pm
Hey, I followed your link. That thing looks sweet!

:+1::)

rosarugosa
4-21-16, 8:46pm
Very cool, please be sure to let us know what you think after you've used it for a bit!

Florence
4-21-16, 8:54pm
Very cool, please be sure to let us know what you think after you've used it for a bit!

+1

ctg492
4-22-16, 6:06am
I see you got the 36V lithium Battery, I have the same battery, about 20 mile range and I have never run out of power. I installed it on one of my bikes I had. You will love it! I plug mine in after every use, no matter how much drain I had. I bring it in side in the winter months to keep from freezing, other than that it stays on bike in garage. I had the economy battery before for 3 years with no problems also, so on my second winter with the better battery and I hope to get two more winters out of it (that is when I use it in the winter or when very windy). I use mine as a boost, not as a scooter type ride. Wind and hills or very heavy grocery day. LOVE IT and hope you do too!

razz
4-22-16, 7:02am
+2

JaneV2.0
4-22-16, 10:51am
What fun! Money well spent.

ToomuchStuff
4-22-16, 10:51am
ctg492

Could you tell us/me some more about the battery and the motor that operates it. The forementioned website, had no photo's that I saw of the power plant, just two sides of the trke.

Gardenarian
4-22-16, 1:03pm
I see you got the 36V lithium Battery, I have the same battery, about 20 mile range and I have never run out of power. I installed it on one of my bikes I had. You will love it! I plug mine in after every use, no matter how much drain I had. I bring it in side in the winter months to keep from freezing, other than that it stays on bike in garage. I had the economy battery before for 3 years with no problems also, so on my second winter with the better battery and I hope to get two more winters out of it (that is when I use it in the winter or when very windy). I use mine as a boost, not as a scooter type ride. Wind and hills or very heavy grocery day. LOVE IT and hope you do too!

Thanks for the info, ctg492! How far have you gone on one charge? The bike shop said to always plug it in after using. I think they said to charge it at least once per month if I'm away or not using it. I'll have to ask about that. I figure I'll get heavy use from at least March till November.

Mine is also electric-assist, so I'll be getting exercise - but not dying on the hills and in wind.

I didn't tell dh or dd that I'm getting it, so they'll get a surprise today when I pull up to the house on my new wheels :)

freshstart
4-22-16, 1:18pm
can you ride it on streets that don't have a specified bike lane? It's adorable and looks like a lot of fun

CathyA
4-22-16, 2:38pm
Looks great Gardenarian! I hope you really enjoy it. I know this is really different....but I have a 36 volt lifted golf cart. With my bad knees, it has allowed me to get all over our large property. I love it!
Are you supposed to check your battery levels? I do that at least once a month and add distilled water to them if they are low. I don't know if lithium batteries are any different. Is it just one battery? I have 6 6 volt batteries. Duh...........that would be a little bit much for a bicycle to carry around! I'm guessing you only have 1. You're gonna have fun!

Gardenarian
4-22-16, 2:47pm
No, it just has one battery, and apart from regular charging, there is no maintenance. I think those golf carts are cool. I have a passion for those little electric trucks that are used for maintenance and stuff.

Bummer - it's POURING outside :(
I hope it lets up by the time I get out of work.

Teacher Terry
4-22-16, 3:03pm
It looks like fun!

Gardenarian
4-23-16, 2:28pm
Made it home wet but happy!
There is a definite learning curve to this thing. For example - don't put your feet down until you are at a complete stop, or the back tires will run over your feet! No sharp turns. It'll take some time to get used to the brakes. And to being so wide!

I will miss the maneuverability of a regular bike, but in the long run I think this will be a lot safer for me.

One surprise - it is really easy to pedal. I used the electric assist only briefly on one hill.

Gardenarian
5-14-16, 3:22pm
I have had my electric trike for a few weeks now, and it is definitely a success!

I am becoming much more comfortable cruising around town on it. I have stopped using a helmet, as I found it uncomfortable and distracting. I'm not sure if I'll start wearing one again or not. It seems reckless not too, but most of the roads I ride on either have wide bike lanes or are dedicated bike trails, and the chances of tipping over are slim - and I'm pretty close to the ground to begin with.

I can go far more than 20 miles on it; one day I did about 40 and the battery was still at least half full. Most of my trips are less than 5 miles round trip. According to the bike shop, it costs around five cents to fully charge the battery. When it gets really hot in the summer I'm sure I'll rely on the battery more than I do in these pleasant cool days.

I don't go very fast, usually not more than 10 miles per hour. But that is significantly faster than I can walk, and I can carry over 100 pounds. It's great when I'm taking a big load of books to the library or grocery shopping. I really like the pace; I can look around me and see what's in bloom, stop and hang out whenever I want, and it is so quiet.

I have had to take it the shop twice to get the gears adjusted, which is a pain, and 4th gear is still slipping now and then. Got to take it back in this week and make sure they get it right.

One of the reasons I wanted a cargo trike was that I am having a problem with my leg & hip, and the no-impact cycling seems to be helping (whereas walking is pretty painful right now. I sure I hope this problem resolves soon.)

I would love to hook up a solar panel so I could have an entirely off-grid vehicle - I'm looking into how to do this.

razz
5-14-16, 4:14pm
Thanks for the update. It does sound like the perfect answer for you.

Ultralight
6-10-16, 2:56pm
Any more updates?