PDA

View Full Version : New dehydrator purchase?

Gina
4-18-11, 11:47am
I've been mulling over the purchase of a new food dehydrator for almost a year. I really want it, but I already have one that is still working. (It's running now.) The one I want is an Excalibur, 9 rack, with timer. It's about $250 ($220 w/o the timer) including delivery and a few nice freebies, from the company. I use a dehydrator a moderate amount. The special lasts until the end of April, and the dehydrating season is just beginning here.

I've watched Craig's list and ebay, but hesitate to buy used for almost as much as new. The new one has a 10 year warranty.

I hate making such decisions. I know I can afford it, but spending money on things I just 'want' as opposed to 'need' are always difficult.

:devil:

loosechickens
4-18-11, 2:20pm
If you can afford it, there is much less need to run everything through the "want or need" program. Sometimes, it's nice to just say, "I'd love to have that", and it's o.k.

After all, why do we practice frugality in the first place? Or simple living for that matter? It's to reach a point where WE are in control of our lives, financially, in time and effort, and degree of contentment with life. Not necessarily to spend the least possible money.

Obviously, someone deep in credit card debt, with insufficient income for their needs and little savings, probably doesn't need to invest in a $250 dehydrator, because you will have to dry an awful lot of food for it to pay off.

BUT....if you've been putting your life in order and CAN afford that dedydrator, why not? Buy it and enjoy it.

Hey, I get most of my blouses, etc., at thrift shops.....but once in awhile I see something in a store or online that I just like, and I buy it. I shocked several friends by buying a nice linen shirt online once that cost a hundred bucks. Heck, the cost of every other shirt hanging in my closet didn't add up to a hundred bucks. But, I liked it, I could afford it, and every time I put it on and wore it, I loved it.

Save on things that don't matter to you so that when something comes along in your life that you WANT to spend a bunch of money on, the money is there. Buy it.

razz
4-18-11, 4:12pm
I wanted mine and simply bought it on sale and love the 9 rack Excaliber. Be gald it is that price as the Canadian price is higher even on sale.

I love the sheets for making fruit rolls and need to get some more.

bae
4-18-11, 4:39pm
I wanted mine and simply bought it on sale and love the 9 rack Excaliber.

My mother has one of those, and loves it.

Gina
4-19-11, 11:51am
After all, why do we practice frugality in the first place? Or simple living for that matter? It's to reach a point where WE are in control of our lives, financially, in time and effort, and degree of contentment with life. Not necessarily to spend the least possible money.
Thanks for the input. I actually know all that stuff, but it's good to hear again. I still have difficulty just spending on something just because I want it and probably always will. But that difficulty of not being frivolous with money is how I got to financial indendence to begin with. Even though it can be uncomfortable and angst-producing at times, in reality I appreciate that I am not quick to buy non-essential items, especially because I have relatively expensive tastes.

When I consider some of the more 'needless' but nice things I have purchased over the years, there are none I've really regretted, and in fact many have made everyday tasks much more pleasant - or are just pretty to look at.

So I ordered the dehydrator - 9 racks with a timer. http://www.ez-smilies.com/smilies/character00283.gif

Kat
4-19-11, 12:05pm
So glad you went for it! I felt the same way about buying a Kitchen Aid stand mixer a couple of years ago. I bit the bullet and bought one, and I haven't regretted it for one second. Enjoy your new toy!