PDA

View Full Version : Zimmerman is selling the gun...

Ultralight
5-12-16, 7:13am
George Zimmerman’s name trended on Twitter late Wednesday night, and it will likely be filling most social newsfeeds throughout Thursday. That’s the day his auction begins — he’s selling the very gun he used to kill unarmed, 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on February 26, 2012. He calls the gun an “American Firearm Icon” and wrote that proceeds will be used to “fight [Black Lives Matter] violence against Law Enforcement officers” and to “ensure the demise of Angela Corey’s persecution career and Hillary Clinton’s anti-firearm rhetoric,” though he hasn’t expounded upon how.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/12/george-zimmermans-many-many-controversies-since-the-trayvon-martin-case/ (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/12/george-zimmermans-many-many-controversies-since-the-trayvon-martin-case/)

CathyA
5-12-16, 9:06am
How ridiculous.

iris lilies
5-12-16, 9:29am
That white Hispanic man seems to be a jerk.

ToomuchStuff
5-12-16, 7:03pm
Behind a spam wall.

jp1
5-13-16, 2:39pm
Bidding got to $65m thanks to someone named Racist McShootface who was later determined to be a troll. Other than that the auction is going smoothly with real bidders wishing death to the children of the troll bidders.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/us/george-zimmerman-gun-auction/

freshstart
5-13-16, 7:17pm
this is absolutely disgusting

Ultralight
5-13-16, 7:20pm
http://www.dariawiki.org/wiki/images/c/c3/Ssw-french.jpg

Teacher Terry
5-14-16, 3:47pm
I doubt he will donate the $. REal scum!

Williamsmith
5-14-16, 9:05pm
I just visited the auction site and found that the auction had been deleted again. Trolls are sabotaging the effort to sell the gun. The gun was listed with a starting bid of $100,000 and a buy it now price of $500,000. I agree that the sale of this gun is shameful, especially the way it was promoted but I think trolling with fake bids is just providing more publicity for a man who needs to be ignored. He thrives on attention and should not be afforded any.

There are ways to negate the offensive nature of this transaction. Not altogether but certainly somewhat. I believe that the best outcome here is that the gun is sold. If this gun does not remain in the possession of its owner, it will be a good thing. Once he does not possess it, he can not use it as a tool to open up old wounds again. But as important as it is to get sold, it is as important for the right type of person to buy it. I do not believe there are many legitimately interested in this gun.

There are countless individuals wealthy enough to purchase this firearm. If someone bought with the purpose of destroying it so that it never goes up for sale again.....I think that would be a good thing. Yes, the owner would profit but he has a right to sell the gun, profit from it and use the money any way he pleases. He was found not guilty and the Department of Justice failed to make a civil rights violation case against him.

But if the purchaser would hold the gun and fund raise donations toward the eventual publicized and documented destruction of this firearm, I believe at least as much money could be raised as is needed to actually buy the gun. If not more. Upon destruction, the money would be used for a college scholarship fund in the name of Trayvon Martin at say....the University of Miami.

In this way, something disgusting could be turned into something honorable.

iris lilies
5-14-16, 9:13pm
A scholarship in the name of Travon Martin is a nice idea, WSmith. Its not a cause I would donate to, but that doesnt mean I would like to see the white hispanic man George Zimmerman contInue to pimp out that firearm.

enough already, George.

Williamsmith
5-14-16, 9:23pm
A scholarship in the name of Travon Martin is a nice idea, WSmith. Its not a cause I would donate to, but that doesnt mean I would like to see the white hispanic man George Zimmerman contInue to pimp out that firearm.

enough already, George.

Iris, if I bought the gun and I asked you personally to donate something....you'd give me a few bucks I know you would. And I would promise to grow a Lilly on my patio in your honor.

catherine
5-14-16, 9:27pm

enough already, George.

+1

I've resisted responding to this thread because I don't want it to take up any of my time or cyberspace. It doesn't deserve it. And that's all I have to say about that.

Williamsmith
5-14-16, 10:45pm
+1

I've resisted responding to this thread because I don't want it to take up any of my time or cyberspace. It doesn't deserve it. And that's all I have to say about that.

No doubt a common response. I felt the same way for a couple days now. But then I started to feel like to ignore it for me was like getting pushed around by a bully. There are a lot of raw feelings that this incident exposed and a lot of fear of discussing it.

Which to me points out just how vulnerable we are to divisiveness. I don't think it portends well, for us as a nation when we can't look something in the eye and stare it down. I'm not wired that way. I see a pile of excrement , I figure somebody has to pick it up. I can't walk by and pretend it's not there. But I respect your approach as being just as valid.

iris lilies
5-14-16, 11:06pm
Iris, if I bought the gun and I asked you personally to donate something....you'd give me a few bucks I know you would. And I would promise to grow a Lilly on my patio in your honor.
ok, yep.

freshstart
5-15-16, 8:43am
In this way, something disgusting could be turned into something honorable.

For once I think it's you with the rose colored glasses and me being cynical. I don't think our society is this good right now, I'd be shocked if this could happen even if you attached a big Hollywood star