PDA

View Full Version : I hate, with a passion, waking people up in the morning

Zoe Girl
4-19-11, 9:02am
Okay I just have to say it even though I am sure I will hear how I really don't need to. But many days that is how my son with absolute horrific attendance this year gets to school and my daughter does anything with her school. There is almost nothing left with my daughter to ground her from or take away or add as a chore, so I make sure she is up. She can appear awake and not actually be awake for a long time, hold a conversation and then fall over and not recall anything at all. And my son has good days and migraine days but still I make sure he wakes up. he is not as bad with appearing awake but I can wake him up mutliple times and he has no recall until I start to get frustrated and lose my temper.

In any case, I look forward to the day when all my kids are out of the house because they ALL have the worst sleep schedules and personal habits around waking up. I am ready to just be done with it. I grew up with people who wake up and I swear it must be genetic because my ex's family is all like this. His mother would visit and sleep until noon, his dad woudn't wake to do planned things with grandkids and they even put ice on him. My ex was amazing in his ability to not wake up when others needed him (but once he decided it mattered to him he seems to wake up, still can't plan time worth a darn). So if this is some sort of passed on trait I just concede defeat and am waiting to have my own space where no one needs to be woken uip.

Meanwhile they have these awesome alarm clocks at ThinkGeek that are helpful. I need more of them for more kids.

Rosemary
4-19-11, 10:24am
I hear you! My DH and his mom are the same way. I come from a family of morning people and it has been a big adjustment. Luckily my DD seems to function well in the mornings, and I refuse to wake up DH - he has to use his alarm.

domestic goddess
4-19-11, 10:37am
I'm with you both! DSIL starts swinging in his sleep, so don't ever try to touch him, DD tells you she willl get up, then goes back to sleep, dgd1 whines. dgd2 jumps out of bed in a good mood. This morning, everyone overslept except dgd2. When I came home from work, I took the kids to school because no one else was up. Not a problem for me, because I hadn't gone to bed yet, anyway, but good grief! How hard is it to set an alam clock?

Stella
4-19-11, 10:45am
LOL. When you talked about your daughter having whole conversations before she's awake that reminded me so much of DH and his brothers. I remember one time my BIL's car was broken down and he needed a ride to work. I called him and he told me he was up and getting ready so I could head over. When I got there I found out that he had never been awake at all. When I called he had been dreaming that he was up and getting ready for work. I find it much more amusing in hindsight than I did at the time. :)

sweetana3
4-19-11, 1:19pm
How about some of those compressed air airhorns like Kathy Bates used in Harry's Law?

Mrs-M
4-19-11, 5:56pm
It's not one of my favourite cups of tea either. Alarm clocks were presented to our kids at an early age to help set the stage for responsible living as to waking up all on ones very own. Sure, there are many days where I still go in and make my rounds doing the wake up thing, but I addressed (early on) as to what sort of reception I expected from each of them along with a couple of ground rules. I have to say mornings in our house are (for the most part) uneventful.