PDA

View Full Version : Canadians: Are you voting differently this time?

Oceanic
4-19-11, 6:55pm
With the federal election right around the corner, I'm wondering if anything is going to be different this time around, or if we'll end up with pretty much the same government we have now.

So, my fellow Canadians, are you changing your vote this time? If so, what changed your mind?

Simplicity
4-19-11, 7:23pm
I just don't know what to do. I'm certainly not impressed with the Harper Govt at all, but Ignatiatif (sp?) doesn't seem too wonderful either. I normally vote NDP or Green, but it seems there are no NDP or Green candidates in my riding this year. :(

razz
4-19-11, 9:22pm
You mean we get to choose between "tax and spend" and "slow and steady" but neither is perfect. Of course we could vote for the separation of Quebec.

A really good Green candidate with a chance of making a difference would be so nice!

Jdemyen
4-19-11, 11:06pm
I usually vote NDP or Green Party, as well, but I haven't quite put enough thought into it yet. Thanks for reminding me to get my butt in gear and make a decision!

Mrs-M
4-20-11, 12:03am
Honestly, we don't know what to do this time around. Sort of a "damned if you do- damned if you don't" scenario. I view politics with a different eye, an eye that relays to me- no matter who or what party reins supreme, it never takes long for the lies and deceit to surface. We voted for the Conservative Party last time, this time we're still unsure who to vote for.

Harper, at first, impressed us, but not so much anymore. The more and more I see of him and how he governs himself and his party, the more I see a man who has all but forgotten how the electoral process works and what his job entails.

My husband wants the long-rifle registry abolished, so DH is still bent on the Conservative party, me on the other hand, I'm still wavering. In many ways I like Ignatieff, but am not fond of the Liberal Party at all. (Thank you Mr. Martin and Mr. Chretien).

Kestra
4-20-11, 8:00am
I almost always vote NDP for all the good it does. My current riding is very Conservative. At least when I lived in Winnipeg Centre the NDP candidate always got in. I don't follow politics enough to be really clear on it but I tend to disagree with most things the Conservative party does, and don't know enough positive about Ignatieff.

Oceanic
4-20-11, 12:17pm
These are kind of the answers I expected - nobody is completely happy with any choice. Personally, I tend to vote based on the local candidate, not the party leader. I tend to be a Liberal supporter anyway, which lines up with the candidate I think is best in my riding, so my decision is made.

However, I certainly don't think the Liberals are perfect. Mrs-M makes a good point about the long-gun registry, which I always thought was a stupid waste of money. And I 100% agree that Harper has gone astray with managing the Conservative party and the government. If we had a good 'small-c' conservative party, I could get behind it. What we have now is the re-branded Reform party, IMHO.

Mrs-M
4-20-11, 9:14pm
I enjoy listening to early morning radio (CBC Radio) each morning, but am growing more and more frustrated with all the slander and undermining going on between the party leaders. For once what I'd like to see is a party come out of the starting gates with intentions on promoting "the good" they plan on doing for the Canadian people, and leave out all the rest of the meaningless and self-promoting banter.

Either way one slices it, it comes out the same, they all make promises and once in power they break those promises and solidify an agenda that suits their very own personal needs. Whatever they don't break in the way of promises they lie about, and whatever else is left over they keep a secret from everyone outside the House.

It's no wonder low voter turnout is becoming increasingly chronic. Hard-working people can only choke down so much of a bad thing before reflexes kick in and push it all back out again, and that's what we're seeing happening today. One too many parties doing nothing for Canadian people (term after term), and sooner or later no one cares anymore who's in office and really, at the end of the day our woes and tribulations will never be solved while under the thumb of government rule.

I mentioned to my husband as of last night, I'm not so sure I'm going to take the time to vote for anyone this time around. I'm less than impressed with the whole lot of them to be perfectly honest and now after hearing that Harper has approved Pay hikes along with severance packages to staffers, that, along with the leaked report related to the misspending of monies tied to last years G-20 Toronto Summit, I'm all but done with this current round of election stupidity.

danna
4-20-11, 9:37pm
Too many of us are remembering anything and everything any other party leader has done wrong. (Of course I have heard very little mention of Mr. Mulroney and the AirBus scandal that put him out of office)
And, then we have list as long as your arm that has been done wrong in the last 5 years that Mr. Harper thinks if he just says it didn't happen it didn't, no matter what the prove.
Oceanic you are right about them not even being a conservative party, they are a coalition of reform, alliance and what was leftover of the conservatives after Mulroney.
We are in this election because Mr. Harper is in Comtemp of Parliament, first time this has happened in the history of our country.....
Mrs-M no vote is a vote for Harper as I see it. Also, if the Green only gets votes and no seats they are all votes taken from the other parties that would get seats. I do think they have a good platform but they are not going to form a government; at least not yet. In the last election they got close to 1 million votes but no seats, not even their leader got her seat.
I have gone back and forth between NDP and Liberal all my life..this time I will be voting NDP because that candidate will get her seat in our riding.

I will get down off my soap box now.....

Brian
4-20-11, 10:09pm
Ahh but you CAN vote... as a Canadian expat I cannot in the land of my citizenship (no riding to be attached to), and not for the land that I am in residence at... was 10 year residence requirement when I arrived, then 15 year and as I approach my 16th year.. talk of 25 years is in the wind. Though I do understand that even when I do get it, I will likely not vote locally as I am truly not "Of" the place and for peace in my neighbourhood, best I not vote as someone will lament I skewed a vote or cancelled one of theirs... best leave it be and watch them all duke it out in the role of an observer. :)

Mrs-M
4-22-11, 5:55pm
Hi my fellow friends and Canadians! By chance, did any of you participate in the online quiz "Vote Compass"? I didn't, but am curious as to whether or not any of you did.

Danna. You're right, but I'm sure at my wits end with it all.

Mrs-M
5-2-11, 10:58pm
I can't help but notice the date of my last entry (prior to this one)... Sometimes I feel as though I'm trying to keep conversation going all on my own.

Anyone care to weigh in on tonight's Canada Votes/Election Canada's results?

Kestra
5-2-11, 11:20pm
Just went to take a look. Since it was pretty obvious the Conservatives would win, I think the results are as good as I could hope for (NDP voter, here). Majority government should provide some stability and of course I love how NDP is the official opposition now. Quite the dramatic change in number of seats from last time for each party, too. I don't know much about Quebec politics but obviously the Bloc is losing popularity. Seems a decent shake-up of the status quo. We'll see if anything changes - probably not, but I'm generally fine with most government policies.

Mrs-M
5-3-11, 1:20am
I ended up caving and stuck with the Conservative Party. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and tickled pink over what seems to be the demise of the Bloc Québécois! DH is already rubbing his hands together in anticipation over the long-gun registry being scrapped. Be interesting how things unfold in the days and weeks to come. For the first time in my life I'm actually showing signs of interest in keeping up with all the news and happenings in the House. What a shuffle it will be.

Oceanic
5-3-11, 1:26am
What a surprising result! I think the NDP will be very interesting in the role of Official Opposition. Can't say I'm too happy about the majority conservatives, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

razz
5-3-11, 9:55am
Have to say that I am pleased that the Conservatives got their majority. My local Conservative trounced the others as I had hoped as they were remnants of the past that need refreshing so Lib and NDP local ridings have some work to do.

I hope that the Liberals regroup and never again 'anoint' a leader who has not done the hard work as I think that this defeated their credibility.
The NDP will be held in check but provide some balance.

What I most admire about Harper is that he worked really hard to bring the alienated west back into Canada and managed to develop a national party out of the ashes. Jack Layton has brought back Quebec voters back into Canada as I had hoped. We need some young leaders from all parties to be groomed for succession planning by working hard on building the country. I sincerely hope that the Libs don't simply anoint Justin Trudeau who did win his seat. Sounds as though Iggy is going to try to hang in which I believe is a really bad idea.
Altogether an interesting election.

Mrs-M
5-3-11, 4:45pm
Indeed, a surprising result/outcome it was. Pleasant in many senses. I am pleased seeing a majority government too, but Harper is going to have to start paying attention to what Canadians are saying otherwise he's going to find himself in an entirely different race next time. This is his time to shine.