PDA

View Full Version : So many selfies on Facebook......

CathyA
6-17-16, 9:25am
What does it mean when people put their own faces on their Facebook page all the time? I get embarrassed for them! Is it a cry for acceptance? A test? A narcissism? I find it very curious.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 9:26am
CathyA:

You are speaking to my very soul in this social critique!

Ultralight
6-17-16, 9:34am
Back when I was online dating I had a rule:

If a woman had more than 5 selfies on her profile I would not talk to her.

catherine
6-17-16, 9:35am
I have friends that take selfies and change their profile pics every week it seems. To me it's embarrassing, because then people feel compelled to "like" the pic. I don't get it. My DD has been BEGGING me to change my profile pic to a really nice one of me that she took. If I could just quietly upload it without it winding up as big as a billboard in my newsfeed I'd do it. I told her that one Sunday morning at 2am I'll get up and and change it when no one is likely to be online.

It is interesting how much people like taking pictures of themselves.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 9:44am
After my year without pictures I have not really regained an interest in them, and beyond that I always thought selfies were just the huge red flag in a person that says: "I am vain!"

CathyA
6-17-16, 9:52am
Maybe if I were more "attractive" and confident, I'd do it more, but I don't think so. I mean, seriously, why??
I have a relative who has been very unsociable most of his life, but has discovered Facebook and posts many pics of himself now. I'm thinking, in this case, he's trying to force acceptance. (like "here I am, with all my flaws........take me or leave me........but I sure hope you take me!!! Please!!). I just find it borders on psychological funkiness. Exhibitionism??
Then I have another ex-relative who posts pics of herself almost daily. It's funny......sometimes, when she posts herself with others (boyfriend, son, etc.) her face is in the middle and sometimes the other person's face isn't all in the pic. :0! Yeah.....it's definitely funky.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 10:00am
There is a feedback loop. People who like to see pics of themselves take more pics of themselves and they like seeing them so they take more. On and on...

iris lilies
6-17-16, 10:13am
I don't understand, and never have understood,the obsession of taking hundreds of photos, period.

But certanly selfies are a new tangent.

Last night We had an event at the Botanical
gardens and I spent time with somene who had taken 60 photos of designs at the big flower show, and printed them. Printed them! Who does that!!!???

Ultralight
6-17-16, 10:19am
I don't understand, and never have understood,the obsession of taking hundreds of photos, period.

People take pics, I think, to try to make a naturally temporary moment into something permanent.

CathyA
6-17-16, 10:20am
Well, I'm guilty of taking lots of pics........of flowers, birds, clouds, vegetables, etc. I guess, for me, it's an attempt to capture that beautiful visual moment forever.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 10:23am
Well, I'm guilty of taking lots of pics........of flowers, birds, clouds, vegetables, etc. I guess, for me, it's an attempt to capture that beautiful visual moment forever.

This is very common. I think the incessant selfies are a whole different beast though.

ApatheticNoMore
6-17-16, 10:50am

with you it's artistic expression :)

with online personal pics they are probably just trying to give a somewhat accurate although flattering picture of what they look like (and in some cases to convey what they enjoy doing, depending on the context). With facebook though I don't know, it probably is kind of vain.

Float On
6-17-16, 10:53am
Watched a girl on a flight from Charlotte to Chicago take selfie after selfie, she never put her phone down.
Just how many times she posted "this flight is so boring but here I am" I have no idea. I was begging for her battery to die...but she pulled out a spare!

jp1
6-17-16, 11:02am
I suppose if you studied 100 different selfie changers you'd probably get 100 different reasons, as with most things involving people's habits and reasons. Among the friends I have who change their selfies my impression is that the couple that do it on a weekly, if not more often, basis, are indeed insecure in some way. Among my friends that change their profile pic less than once a month there are probably more reasons. Some probably just want to change it up, others do so whenever they get a really good photo of themselves that they like, etc. I figure these people don't have any more emotional issues than someone who likes to change up their avatar on a chat forum from time to time.

Personally I change my profile pic maybe once a year, but I've been known to post almost daily pics of my cat on my news feed. Apparently the rest of the world thinks he's as adorable as I do because I get more comments and emojis for pics of him than I do for anything else I post. Like anyone else I like the positive feedback that those posts bring, so I keep doing them.

JaneV2.0
6-17-16, 11:07am
I've mostly avoided cameras for years; taking incessant selfies or hundreds of pictures of oneself seems bizarre bordering on pathological to me. But maybe it's the reverse of the old superstition about photographs stealing your soul--such people may need constant reassurance that they exist? Or maybe it's a perfectly natural human preoccupation. What do I know.

However, I have pictures of art/craft/inspiration that I would love to have printed records of, if I could wave a magic wand. I look at them over and over as it is, and it would be great to have them organized into albums.

CathyA
6-17-16, 12:09pm
Jane "such people may need constant reassurance that they exist?" LOL! Maybe that's it.

Alan
6-17-16, 1:06pm
Selfies are obviously used by people with low self esteem to make themselves feel better, unless they're used by high self esteem people to verify their high opinions of themselves. They're obviously not used by normal folks:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1609&stc=1 http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1610&stc=1http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1611&stc=1

Oh,,wait...

KayLR
6-17-16, 1:10pm
I have several "friends" who are chronic selfie-takers. And it is embarrassing and uncomfortable to witness. These women are in their 60s, probably used to be attractive, but aren't any longer, really. I get the feeling they think they're pretty cute. Another must never eat at home; she is constantly posting photos of herself eating at restaurants. Just staring in the camera with a plate of food in front of her. Weird.
ETA: I've just read this and it sounds pretty mean....but it really does make me feel uncomfortable. Maybe it's MY problem.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 1:25pm
I think a few selfies here or there can be fun, as noted sardonically by Alan.

Recently I cut my beard into a goatee, dyed it pitch black (to better match my hair), and slicked my hair back like a greaser. This was funny, so I took a selfie and sent it to a couple friends who got a laugh out of it.

Then I deleted it.

herbgeek
6-17-16, 1:32pm
The people in my circle who do lots of selfies seem to be fishing for someone to say "oh you look great". One extended family member does this, usually with a duckface and her hands on her hips in a model pose. She's really a pretty woman, but she comes across as desperate and looking for attention.

Ultralight
6-17-16, 1:49pm
The people in my circle who do lots of selfies seem to be fishing for someone to say "oh you look great". One extended family member does this, usually with a duckface and her hands on her hips in a model pose. She's really a pretty woman, but she comes across as desperate and looking for attention.

Thirsty!

Ultralight
6-17-16, 1:50pm
So supposed a couple goes on a long hike. They reach some scenic overlook. No one is around anywhere to take the pic. Why not take a selfie?

But for someone to get their hair did, go on Facebook, take a selfie, and the post it is just plain thirsty!

catherine
6-17-16, 1:55pm
haha, Alan! I have to say, if there was a "like" button under your pics, I'd definitely click on it!!

CathyA
6-17-16, 2:02pm
haha, Alan! I have to say, if there was a "like" button under your pics, I'd definitely click on it!!

Me too Alan!

Geila
6-17-16, 3:02pm
Cute selfies Alan!

Most young people post tons of selfies on their various social media accounts and I don't think anything of it. It's the young thing to do right now and it seems harmless enough. But I agree that when grown adults do it excessively it feels awkward. If done once in a while I think nothing of it - kinda like me enjoying photos of my cutie pies. In fact, I wish there was more photo posting here on SLF. I enjoy visuals.

pinkytoe
6-17-16, 3:32pm
Not a big FB user but have my original silly pic up from years ago. Me with a big red clown nose and silly face. Other than keeping up with distant family, I find it very boring.

CathyA
6-17-16, 4:55pm
Cute selfies Alan!

Most young people post tons of selfies on their various social media accounts and I don't think anything of it. It's the young thing to do right now and it seems harmless enough. But I agree that when grown adults do it excessively it feels awkward. If done once in a while I think nothing of it - kinda like me enjoying photos of my cutie pies. In fact, I wish there was more photo posting here on SLF. I enjoy visuals.

I guess I have concerns that the young people today are much too self absorbed in other ways too. :(

Ultralight
6-17-16, 5:07pm
I guess I have concerns that the young people today are much too self absorbed in other ways too. :(

Elaborate. And can you give me an age range for "young people?"

I live in an apartment complex filled with college students and graduate students, as well as many young professionals. I see some wacky stuff.

Back in 2007-2010 I taught college students... I saw some stuff then too

Geila
6-17-16, 5:09pm

It'll all work out. I'm sure our parents thought we were spoiled self-absorbed kids compared to them. I'm prone to complain about the work ethic I see in college kids these days, but, it is what it is. We all find out our limitations and learn from our mistakes in due time.

jp1
6-17-16, 5:33pm
Every generation thinks the next generation are a bunch of eff ups who are going to ruin the world. And then the younger generation gets older and turns into a bunch of mostly fuddy duddies just like the one before. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Personally I love hanging out with some of the kids in my office. There's a whole team of people who graduated from college within the last 3-4 years that sit in a cube field just outside my office. So much energy and optimism out there. They also generally have much more interesting stories about their weekends come Monday morning than I do...

And, oh, by the way, get off my lawn, ya damn kids!

Ultralight
6-17-16, 5:48pm
Every generation thinks the next generation are a bunch of eff ups who are going to ruin the world.

I would say they have all been correct. ;)

jp1
6-17-16, 7:02pm
I would say they have all been correct. ;)

Does your new apartment building have a lawn? Or do you just randomly yell out the window at the kids walking down the sidewalk on the principal that they need to be yelled at for their own good even if they aren't ruining the lawn?

Ultralight
6-17-16, 8:04pm
Does your new apartment building have a lawn? Or do you just randomly yell out the window at the kids walking down the sidewalk on the principal that they need to be yelled at for their own good even if they aren't ruining the lawn?

I say: "Dag nabbit, you whippersnappers! Respect your elders!"

ctg492
6-18-16, 5:54am
I have only pictures in a box from years ago, about 20 years ago of the kids mostly.Then I totally stopped and that is not many. Never been a picture fan. Smart phone brought the picture easy and fast. I never got into it at all, maybe 20 at a time on phone of which I delete often. I have never enjoyed "looking" back at what is past even if it was just last week.

Fast forward to FB which I am attempting to use now for the last couple months after trying it off and on for the last few years. I do like seeing others pictures, happy smiles and fun times. The selfies of just their face is strange to me. I have only two showing off new hats. I am kinda ashamed I posted those feeling like "look at me". I actually wonder why I feel like this? Are others smiles better than mine? Are they happier? Are their lives more exciting? Sometimes FB seems to me to be a Look At How Wonderful I am doing type place. I do not ever remember back in the day life being like that. Photo Albums were taken by the person or others so selfies were not common.

Yes it is weird to me, selfies.

creaker
6-18-16, 8:07am
I like looking at pictures in facebook - not so much the generic selfies, but the ones of people I know actually being somewhere or doing something. I don't post much, but putting up nothing kind of makes it feel like I'm stalking.

CathyA
6-18-16, 9:18am
I have to admit, I have a couple relatives on facebook, and I look at their stuff often......but it's more like being compelled to look at an accident scene/road kill. It's a mix of curiosity/amusement/disbelief.
One of them is always posing like a model.......one hand on hip, turned to the side, same alluring look on face. Yeah......road kill. :~)
There have been times when I'm so tempted to take a picture of myself, trying to look the same........but I'm overweight, white haired, wrinkled...but I would have the same stance, stick out my boobs, hand on hip and as alluring a look as I could muster.......and post it on her facebook page. But I won't. :devil:

ctg492
6-19-16, 4:14am
...Back in the Day.......It was difficult to take a selfie. Plus maybe we would have been classified as vain if we had a collection of selfies. Today it seems it is more of a Look at me thing. 15 minutes of fame today is far less fleeting if we can keep snapping pics and posting.

rosarugosa
6-19-16, 6:01am
I enjoy seeing the occasional selfies posted by friends on FB, but I do think it's unhealthy when someone's primary hobby seems to be taking & posting pictures of herself (Yes, it's usually a her and not a him, although not always). Most of my friends who do this actually have mental health issues of one kind or another.
Alan, anyone can see that taking selfies are not your primary interest in life, so that's not what I'm talking about. You are clearly a person of many activities and interests.
I'm referring more to those shots so often taken in front of the bathroom mirror; you would think someone could at least find a better backdrop!
I think photography can be a wonderful hobby (thinking of you Cathy A!), but a constant series of self-portraits of the photographer just doesn't seem like it would be very gratifying.