PDA

View Full Version : Anything I shouldn't miss in Denver?

gimmethesimplelife
6-19-16, 10:37am
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas for must sees in Denver? I've already got the Mint and the Art Museum on my list. Rob

Gardnr
6-20-16, 6:48am
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas for must sees in Denver? I've already got the Mint and the Art Museum on my list. Rob

The Art Museum is fabulous. The city library is huge. Red Rocks is awesome! It's west of town.

The downtown area is very walkable and the art museum is near the heart. The 16th street mall has lots of eats. If you go to the end of it, there's a great park and bridge. on the other side is more to see.

You don't say how long you're there.....you can spend days just in the heart of downtown.

Zoe Girl
6-20-16, 7:53am
I wouldn't miss Red Rocks! You can hike or drive through the park during the day depending on the concert schedule. The Botanic Gardens is pretty great, of course 16th street mall has lots of walking and looking and eating. The Museum of Nature and Science and the zoo are right next to each other and both are pretty fun. There are some smaller niche museums as well, like the Black Cowboy (have not seen) and an airplane museum (have seen).

When are you coming?

gimmethesimplelife
6-20-16, 8:45am
Thanks for the advice! I am so looking forward to Denver and am so glad I found this cheap airfare and am even happier to be out of the heat in the worst time of the year here though right now is challenging too with the heat. I will be in Denver August 24th to the morning of the 28th. Rob

That library does sound interesting!

ToomuchStuff
6-20-16, 8:51am
How about the TSA at the airport? They seem to develop quite the lines.:laff:

Might see if the city has a website with any tourist brochures on it. (sometimes they also give prices)

jp1
6-20-16, 5:19pm
I would also suggest a tour of the Capitol building, if only because you can go up in dome which has awesome views. It's also free and just across the way from the library and art museum.

And you'll get to ride the light rail from the airport! I'm jealous. It just opened a month or two ago.

And when you leave town there's a shorter security line than the two big ones. Follow the signs towards the pedestrian bridge to concourse A. There is another security line there that is always faster.

jp1
6-20-16, 5:22pm
Also the Colorado history museum across Lincoln from the Capitol is very cool. And no,trip to Denver is complete without visiting the Molly brown house.

Also, I don't know if you go out much, but the Denver wrangler's Sunday beer bust attracts a pretty broad cross section of the LGBT community. In the summer they take over the parking lot next door so it's not such a mobscene crowded bar type thing.

Zoe Girl
6-20-16, 7:04pm
oooh the light rail from the airport, so super cool,

I have a retreat starting that Friday but I would love to see you and your hubby if you have time!

Teacher Terry
6-21-16, 1:28pm
WE were there last year and really enjoyed the restaurants downtown. WE didn't get to see the Mint because all the tours were booked. I would make your reservations now.

bae
6-21-16, 1:31pm
There is the beautiful interstate highway in Denver. If you take it south for ~6 hours, you'll be in Santa Fe. So I'd do that :-)

Teacher Terry
6-21-16, 1:35pm
Santa Fe is nice but Denver is also awesome and we spent 4 days there and really enjoyed it.

gimmethesimplelife
6-22-16, 8:56am
oooh the light rail from the airport, so super cool,

I have a retreat starting that Friday but I would love to see you and your hubby if you have time!Hi ZG! I will send you a PM as it gets closer and as I have a better handle on how my time in Denver will schedule out/what I will be doing/what free time I will have. It would be great to meet up.....I did not catch that you are in Colorado. Rob

Gardenarian
6-22-16, 12:36pm
The Tattered Cover bookstore is one of my favorite places in Denver.
Tea at The Brown Palace is great, too.

ToomuchStuff
6-23-16, 10:23am
I did not catch that you are in Colorado. Rob

Surprised you never caught any of her posts about her daughter being in the theater, during the shooting, in Aurora Colorado.

gimmethesimplelife
6-23-16, 11:45am
Surprised you never caught any of her posts about her daughter being in the theater, during the shooting, in Aurora Colorado.Now that you mention it I do remember.....I just didn't "click" it......it didn't register right away that ZG is in Colorado. Rob

Zoe Girl
6-23-16, 10:19pm
Hi ZG! I will send you a PM as it gets closer and as I have a better handle on how my time in Denver will schedule out/what I will be doing/what free time I will have. It would be great to meet up.....I did not catch that you are in Colorado. Rob

Awesome, and it is easy to lose track of all the things people share. Tattered Cover is awesome!