PDA

View Full Version : Happy Easter!

Merski
4-22-11, 7:42am
I remember getting a new Easter outfit as a kid...it was a tradition in our house. I also remember polishing my patent leather shoes with my brand-new white gloves because they got dusty on the walk to church!

Kat
4-22-11, 10:39am
Happy Easter to those who celebrate it! Happy Spring to those who do not! :-)

I loved getting a new Easter dress as a little girl. I still fight the urge to get a new dress for Easter every year! ;-) I resisted this year since I am pregnant and won't get much use out of it. But I am having a little girl, and I have been scoping out dresses so I can maybe get one for next year after they go on clearance. I love going to church and seeing all the little girls in frilly dresses and the little boys in miniature three-piece suits. Not the reason I go, obviously, but it is very cute!

Easter was always such a fun time for us as kids. My Dad really went all out. When we woke up that morning, there was candy EVERYWHERE, along with some new toys. Our baskets were always hidden. In them we would find our chocolate bunnies, which were missing the ears. They were (and still are) my Dad's favorite. Ah, those memories remind me of what an awesome Dad I have.

Stella
4-22-11, 11:12am
Happy Easter! My Dad bought me a new Easter dress this year and I feel as giddy as a little kid. I needed to feel cute.

I love all of Holy Week. We went to the Holy Thursday service last night. That's always moving. Watching the altar being stripped, in particular, and the prayer time spent "in the garden" with Christ afterwards. Beautiful and moving. It always strikes me how hard it is watching the altar being stripped, even the little things like the altar cloth. It's so empty and bare.

Today is tenebrae, the Service of Darkness and Shadows. Also very moving. It all sets the stage for the beauty and joy of Easter.

When I was a kid I LOVED the Easter bunny stuff, and I still do that for my kids. This year we're cutting back a little on the quantity of candy and getting better quality. We do have a few obligatory Peeps and M&Ms but the main attraction is the handmade Easter eggs made by a monastery my dad likes to support. They are amazing! Luckily Dad bought us a few treats too.

domestic goddess
4-22-11, 1:33pm
Oh, Stella, where does your dad get those eggs?
I remember, when I was a child (way back when!) that my dad's mom used to send us each a filled egg for every Easter. Mom and dad always got fruit and nut, my db always got peanut butter, and I always got coconut. They were pretty big; it took several days to eat one, and to tops were decorated. I don't see eggs like that now, and I always thought it was so special. I was an adult before I found out that my grandmother didn't have much money, which is why she just sent us each an egg. They were so special to me that I didn't know! I sliced pieces off mine very carefully, and it was my favorite part of the Easter candy thing. I would love to be able to find eggs like that for my granddaughters. I'm making 5 baskets this year. DSIL won't admit it, but he loves getting one with his very own candy in it. In the past he and dd have had to share, but everyone gets their own this year, even their boarder.
I always love the Maundy Thursday service. Planned to go last night, but I am still sick and didn't want to disturb everyone by hacking and coughing all through the service. I hope to go tonight, but we'll see. I also understand what you mean about getting better quality candy for the kids' baskets; I believe that life is too short to eat cheap chocolate. I love to make the rounds of the specialty candy stores and look for the fun and unique items.

Mrs-M
4-22-11, 6:00pm
Happy Easter everybody! http://th198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/subandhu/Smilies/th_ththbasketsmileyff.gif

Spartana
4-23-11, 3:56pm
I live year round for the Glorious Return of.... Peeps and Cadbury Eggs :-)!

Happy Bunny Day everyone.