PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Feet on your furniture?

Geila
7-1-16, 6:44pm
Recently we took off the feet from all of our sofas and ottoman because the dogs' ball kept rolling underneath and the dogs would scratch at the sofa to get to the ball. In fact, they ripped one sofa in two spots doing it. When we went underneath to do the removal we discovered LOTS of cobwebs and dust had gathered under there. We have wood floors so it's easy to see all the gunk. It made me want to get rid of the feet on other stuff too, including the beds, which always gross me out when I see how much dirt and dust gathers under them.

I'm thinking of taking off the feet on other big things we have that don't get moved or vacuumed under very often. I know the legs look nice and make the furniture and room look more expensive and classy, but it would be so much easier to clean without them. Taking the feet off the sofas did make them lower to the ground, and a workout to get out off at first, but now we're used to it and don't even notice. I saw that ebay has similar sofa feet at $5 each, so I guess many people like the footed look - I know I was excited when I bought these and they had cute feet, my old ones didn't have them. But I don't know if the trade-off is worth it.

Maybe in this case form can follow function?

herbgeek
7-1-16, 6:47pm
I think the feet help me clean better, I can get a Swiffer under there if feet are on it. Of course that would mean I'd actually have to do that, which I don't that often, but you I /could/ ;)

Geila
7-1-16, 6:53pm
Ah, yes... the swiffer and/or dry mop. I don't know that I would actually do it - clean with them that is. And it becomes one more thing to keep and maintain. Whereas if the unit is smack on the floor, dust can't get under there and I grab it when I do my twice weekly vacuuming. That's my theory right now anyway. We have our windows open almost year-round, 2 dogs and 2 cats, so dust is part of my life. And I dislike mopping and dusting.

I just saw the dry/wet swiffer at Costco on sale yesterday. Maybe I should give it another look. Did I mention I dislike mopping? :|(

catherine
7-1-16, 7:07pm
I don't know--I can't imagine chopping the feet off my Queen Anne loveseat, or even the little stubby feet off my sectional. I think it would somehow mess up the proportion. As for cleaning, I would rather give up the rug so that I could pull the furniture out easily to clean under it than to mess with the design.

Geila
7-1-16, 7:18pm
I don't know--I can't imagine chopping the feet off my Queen Anne loveseat, or even the little stubby feet off my sectional. I think it would somehow mess up the proportion. As for cleaning, I would rather give up the rug so that I could pull the furniture out easily to clean under it than to mess with the design.

How often do you actually move the furniture to clean under it? I always mean to do it but don't until I have to because I'm moving things around or something like that.

I was concerned about the look of our sectional, sofa and big chair but I found that having them lower actually looks better in our rooms. We have 8' ceilings and the pieces look more balanced now. They looked a bit too big before. Now the rooms look very loungey. But I don't think chopping off your Queen Anne would improve it :). Luckily we only have regular dept. store stuff.

I also recently hacked off a bunch of extra stuff on the mission-style tables I have and painted them pretty colors (pale sage green, sky blue and wisteria) and I love it. They are so much lighter and prettier! I hated the old look, so heavy and clunky. No grace at all. And now they will be easier to clean under too because I removed the bottom shelf which always gathered clutter and dust.

catherine
7-1-16, 7:39pm
How often do you actually move the furniture to clean under it? I always mean to do it but don't until I have to because I'm moving things around or something like that.

Well, you're right about that--in fact a lot of icky stuff falls between the sectionals, too. But regarding the Mission tables, I love that look, so I don't think I'd be the one to chop those up either, although I love the colors you picked to paint them!

Miss Cellane
7-1-16, 10:46pm
Shaker furniture is designed to either be flat on the floor, so that nothing can get under it, or high enough off the floor so that it is easy to clean under it. Or light enough to move easily to clean. Or built in, so that you don't have to clean under or over it. No legs isn't the only solution.

I'd rather have a comfortable height chair/sofa, and invest in the proper tools to clean under it easily, myself.

Tammy
7-2-16, 12:39am
I swiffer under my bed and love seat and lazy boy every few weeks. I'm feeling pretty good right now! Ha.

ctg492
7-2-16, 6:59am
***Recently we took off the feet from all of our sofas and ottoman because the dogs' ball kept rolling underneath and the dogs would scratch at the sofa to get to the ball. In fact, they ripped one sofa in two spots doing it.***

Oh too funny! That is what I did kinda, I flipped the end tables and coffee table upside down this last week. I also have a "poker" to retrieve balls the little Jack Russell Terrorist puts under them for hours a night. One can only take to much of that fun! I sent pics to every one saying look at the JTR new furniture style! I am glad I was not the only one.
SO whatever works for each is best.

razz
7-2-16, 12:01pm
I can so relate to this.

I was persuaded by my grandson to buy an iRobot Roomba vacuum and it does the bedrooms weekly and about every three months an extra manual check on the corners. It is amazing what it vacuums up.

I also kept my furniture very simple so that I can have felt pads on the feet and simple push them around as I vacuum the rest of the house every other week. I do need to vacuum the living room rug every week as the dog lives on it and seems to be continually shedding.

I had to chuckle as I had thought the thread was going to be about people putting their feet up on the coffee tables etc. I do this all the time.

Gardenarian
7-2-16, 8:06pm
All our furniture is on legs (sofa, chairs) or open at the bottom tables, bookshelves.) My husband has a morbid fear of spiders and is sure they will breed in anyplace he can't get to.

I use a Bona dust mop, broom, and vacuum frequently.

We recently adopted a longhaired dog and I forgot - dog hair everywhere!

Teacher Terry
7-4-16, 3:51pm
I sweep and mop under the furniture weekly. I have robots but sometimes I even do it myself:~).