PDA

View Full Version : How was everyone's holiday weekend?

Ultralight
7-5-16, 7:35am
Okay, I will start... But I sincerely hope you all join in. :)

Friday I did some reading, biked around a bit, and just decompressed.

Saturday my significant other came over. We took a long walk, a long bike ride, cooked lunch and dinner together and just relaxed.

Sunday My significant other came over again. We spent some time reading a book together and discussing it. Then we went on a walk, had a fish fry, and rode bikes again.

So...altogether pretty relaxing. But the weekend went really fast and I did not feel like I was able to really decompress from the the work week.

My hometown, which has 238 people in it, has a 4th of July parade every year and has done so for at least 50 years. People come from all the surrounding towns to hold an ice creme social at the little church, sell crafts and outsider art, and to socialize. People light fireworks, ride around on ATVs, motorcycles, bikes, tractors, etc. and drink and smoke heavily.

The well-to-do folks from nearby areas bring in draft horses, show ponies, classic cars, etc. for the parade.

I had not attended in over a decade.

So when I woke up yesterday morning I thought: "What the heck!"

I called up my significant other and we decided to go.

It was a real redneck party. lol

Twas also thought-provoking... in so many ways...

Okay, your turn! How was your weekend? What did you get into?

catherine
7-5-16, 7:57am
I love small town parades! One of our favorite July 4 parade that we went to was in a very small town in VT. The parade was so small that when they got to the end of the street they did a U-turn and paraded back the other way. And the "Santa Claus" float--the most important float that wrapped up the parade--was an old couple in town who had been married 50 years (that was literally their claim to fame in the parade)--they sat there beaming and waving to everyone.

I once built two floats for our home town parade for the school district. I was the district PR person at the time. Not a fun job, but we won a trophy and the kids that rode it had a great time.

The parades I've been to most recently (going back a couple of years) were ones that I would follow my husband around for when he was playing bagpipes for pipes and drums bands. That was fun. He used to do several a year--St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July.. I'd love for him to get back to that--it would be good for his lung function.

This weekend I spent a relaxing weekend--did some gardening, visited my son/DIL/GS and just puttered. No parades, no fireworks--got rained out Friday night, and then we were at my son's the next night, so we missed them. I also am not quite ready to get back in the saddle but today's a slow day, so I'll just ease in.

Ultralight
7-5-16, 8:57am
I love small town parades! One of our favorite July 4 parade that we went to was in a very small town in VT. The parade was so small that when they got to the end of the street they did a U-turn and paraded back the other way. And the "Santa Claus" float--the most important float that wrapped up the parade--was an old couple in town who had been married 50 years (that was literally their claim to fame in the parade)--they sat there beaming and waving to everyone.

I once built two floats for our home town parade for the school district. I was the district PR person at the time. Not a fun job, but we won a trophy and the kids that rode it had a great time.

The parades I've been to most recently (going back a couple of years) were ones that I would follow my husband around for when he was playing bagpipes for pipes and drums bands. That was fun. He used to do several a year--St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July.. I'd love for him to get back to that--it would be good for his lung function.

This weekend I spent a relaxing weekend--did some gardening, visited my son/DIL/GS and just puttered. No parades, no fireworks--got rained out Friday night, and then we were at my son's the next night, so we missed them. I also am not quite ready to get back in the saddle but today's a slow day, so I'll just ease in.

Small town parades are interesting, for sure. haha

A couple of particular highlights:

-2 very drunken, big, huge rednecks riding around on mini-bikes swilling back beers

-Numerous confederate flags on the back of "pick'em up trucks"

-The opportunity to introduce my significant other to the woman who babysat me as a kid (I introduced her as "my former babysitter and moral compass" because that was for real)

-Riding around county roads for a while before the parade

It also served as an especially good chance to let my significant other really see -- I mean really see -- a lot more of my background and what my formative years were like. I will admit she was very uneasy about all the bars & stars flags, the hillbillies "packin," and the near total disregard of dental hygiene in so many folks back that way.

All in all though, I think she saw that many country folk and even redneck types were rather friendly and kind. A neighbor offered us a couple folding chairs and chatted us up. Others came over to just catch up on old times or gave us slices of watermelon and other goodies.

Though right out of the gate a good ol' boy from the back in the day saw me and shouted: "Right there is a Hillary Clinton supporter if I ever saw one! G-d d-mn it!"

I shouted back: "I'll have you know I voted for Bernie Sanders!"

We both laughed because we knew were were joking, but my significant other was very uneasy -- especially since the guy was "packin'."

catherine
7-5-16, 9:05am
The great thing about holidays like this is everyone can be together and share just having fun--which makes us all less tense about our differences and more "neighborly."

Kestra
7-5-16, 10:40am
I got to be in the small town parade with my roller derby teammates. That was fun. It's too light here for fireworks.
Then lots of walking and relaxing the next two days.

IshbelRobertson
7-5-16, 10:50am
No holiday here!

Ultralight
7-5-16, 11:01am
No holiday here!

Another example of why all other countries are inferior to America. ;)

iris lilies
7-5-16, 11:47am
No holiday here!but arent you all silently celebrating that you are rid of us? :~)

Ultralight
7-5-16, 12:01pm
but arent you all silently celebrating that you are rid of us? :~)

Ha! Good point.

catherine
7-5-16, 12:09pm

OR if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You guys could always come on over to our side--there's talk over here (http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/29/opinions/make-the-uk-the-51st-state/index.html?sr=fbcnni062916make-the-uk-the-51st-state0127PMVODtopLink&linkId=26036787%5D) about the UK becoming the 51st state.. how about it, Ishbel? :~) We promise you'll have taxation WITH representation!

LDAHL
7-5-16, 12:11pm

I think we kept some of the best parts. English Common Law, Enlightenment Thinking, Capitalism. A certain ferocity in defense of one's rights and dignity. Scotch. Angry Irishmen. A combative press.

Float On
7-5-16, 12:55pm
A great weekend in between rains though it would of been nice to be invited to a potluck or something.
Took a 12 mile float.
Watched several firework displays from my front porch (remembered to kennel the dog this year, last year he went missing for 36 hours). Living on one of the higher ridges has advantages, no traffic to fight for fireworks displays.
The boys worked and went to events with friends so I didn't even have to prepare much food beyond a salad and grilled cheese sandwich.

Ultralight
7-5-16, 12:58pm
Took a 12 mile float.

:)

CathyA
7-5-16, 1:03pm
Being the hermits we are, DH and I enjoyed being around no one. :) I was just relieved that it rained so that the folks who live nearby and shoot off big-gun fireworks, couldn't burn our woods down.
We had hamburgers, potato salad and corn on the cob. I apologized to DH for not having any dark greens. I called it "carb-day". Oh......and strawberry shortcake with whipped cream.
It was a nice, quiet day. We celebrated our independence from the rest of the world. :)

iris lilies
7-5-16, 2:01pm
After a week of preliminary fireworks from the public housing projects two blocks away, and from lower socio-economc neighborhoods as well, we got the big noises last night for about 3 hours solid.

I am always gratifi that those whom we support in public housing have extensive funds to buy fireworks for a week. My tax dollars could not go to better use. /sarcasm.

But I do have sincere thanks that

1) my dog isnt bothered by this kind of thing, but ma y pets panic and escape this time of year.
2) the public housng residents now use fireworks far more often than guns. Shooting guns in the air used to be the preferred method of celebrating with loud noises

IshbelRobertson
7-5-16, 2:02pm

Yes.... But keep it under your hat!

IshbelRobertson
7-5-16, 2:04pm
Another example of why all other countries are inferior to America. ;)

AZZIF

IshbelRobertson
7-5-16, 2:05pm
I think we kept some of the best parts. English Common Law, Enlightenment Thinking, Capitalism. A certain ferocity in defense of one's rights and dignity. Scotch. Angry Irishmen. A combative press.

THIEVES!

JaneV2.0
7-5-16, 2:10pm
After a couple of years of relative calm, heavy shelling resumed for this Fourth. I'm always sorry for the domestic and forest animals and the unlucky people whose houses burn during such "festivities." The rockets' red glare finally shut down some time after midnight. Whoopee.

Teacher Terry
7-5-16, 6:17pm
I planned a camping trip for 4 couples and made all the arrangements, etc. Well the night before we left I got a cold-no big deal. Well it turns into something nasty and for 2 nights I can't sleep and coughed all night so I decided to ride home with one of the guys who had to go to work. It was only an hour from home. so everyone enjoyed 4 nights of camping and my homemade spaghetti while I was home sick. I also love small town parades and perch! I can't get perch on the west coast. IL: years ago my sister and I were in your town and thought it would be great to live there. From your description so glad I don't.

rosarugosa
7-5-16, 7:11pm
I had a pleasant but uneventful weekend. DH worked Sat & Mon, I got a bit accomplished on my to-do list, we managed two walks in the woods, and we went to a small cookout Sun night. Weather was great. I finished one good read (The Boys in the Boat) and started another (The Nightingale). It was a good balance of productivity and leisure.

Tammy
7-5-16, 7:39pm
Drove around the Grand Canyon - both north and south rims - for two days. Now camping in flagstaff before returning home tomorrow. Next week is our 35th wedding anniversary but we're both booked with work and meetings. So we took off on this little adventure a week early. The 4th just happened to occur at the same time. 🇺🇸🎉

Gardenarian
7-5-16, 7:54pm
I rode my new bike with the public library gang in the parade - lots of fun! There was so much to do here - concerts all day, a wonderful wildflower show, the pops concert in the evening, and then the fireworks. A great Independence Day!

I did end up getting a headache just before bed, but I meditated and had this amazing experience. I felt like my body was filling up with cool water from my feet on up, and when it got to my head - my headache vanished. Just, completely gone. Very cool.

Nice cool day today - good to get back to gardening and getting our vacation rental ready for prime-time. Almost there.

Ultralight
7-5-16, 7:58pm
I rode my new bike with the public library gang in the parade - lots of fun! .

:cool:

Alan
7-6-16, 11:29am
My wife and I turned our holiday weekend into a 3 week motorhome trip to various points west. So far we've celebrated our independence by enjoying the beauty of the United States in the Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, a 12 mile rafting trip on the Green River, and later today a float trip on the Gunnison River.

Wehave another week and a half to go and no firm plans other than to enjoy each day in a new and interesting place.

LDAHL
7-6-16, 12:03pm
THIEVES!

Some at the time claimed that the true Englishmen of the colonies felt the need to severe the bonds from a corrupt, class-ridden, tyrannical, un-English Britain. That's why they outlawed titles of nobility and gave the chief executive the most unpreposessing title anyone could think of. I think Jefferson and Adams felt they had a better claim on Enlightenment ideals than Lord North. Not there isn't enough to go around.

Ultralight
7-6-16, 2:00pm
Lots of great weekend reports here! Enjoyed them!

CathyA
7-6-16, 2:23pm
My wife and I turned our holiday weekend into a 3 week motorhome trip to various points west. So far we've celebrated our independence by enjoying the beauty of the United States in the Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, a 12 mile rafting trip on the Green River, and later today a float trip on the Gunnison River.

Wehave another week and a half to go and no firm plans other than to enjoy each day in a new and interesting place.

Sounds great, Alan! Have fun!