PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 is just a pain to deal with

razz
4-22-11, 9:26am
Windows XP is so easy to work with for hooking up printers, Wifi sticks etc. Windows 7 requires another driver downloaded for every blooming thing.

Please tell me something positive about Windows 7. How is it new and improved over Windows XP?

leslieann
4-22-11, 9:53am
My teenage stepdaughter, who likes graphic design, says "It's prettier."

That's all I know..

JaneV2.0
4-22-11, 10:49am
I just bought a new laptop, and so far I'm not impressed with Windows 7. I made an entry error in a critical field and can't figure out how to delete it; it should be simple but it isn't. And I'm already tired of multiple prompts and caveats. Maybe MS peaked with XP.

iris lily
4-22-11, 11:00am
Oh joy, more new technology "improvements" to wade through. I can hardly wait.

Alan
4-22-11, 11:13am
I've had just the opposite experience with Windows 7. XP continues to be a solid workhorse and 7 seems to me to be an improvement that Microsoft should be proud of after the poor performance of Vista.

I do realize that it's difficult sometimes to adjust to something new, especially with 7's attempt to make things more intuitive, but overall I've been very pleased.

freein05
4-22-11, 11:44am
Windows 7 is far better than Vista and a little bet better than XP.

razz
4-22-11, 12:11pm
Never having tried Vista, I am aware of XP and can see no advantage for my purposes to date. In fact, I have heard that the XP will lose the support resources in a short while

I try to find the positive in most things and having a struggle finding a positive in Windows 7. I have the IntelCore i5-430M processor so it is not a power issue just the useability. My computer intuitiveness is lacking, it seems.
Intuitivity is not what computers are noted for in my limited knowledge base but the programming ability of techies/programmers.
Grrrrr with the frustration that I am going through. I am so glad that I paid for the extended warranty support so that Staples techies can do the downloads. It is frustrating to give up my computer for all these steps now.
I need a new driver for my Wifi stick that I use at the library. Cannot connect without the Wifi stick, cannot use the stick without the driver, can't get the driver without access to internet..... Grrrr.

AmeliaJane
4-22-11, 12:21pm
I'm sorry Windows 7 is giving you so many headaches. I've never had any problems, but I got it on a highpowered new HP computer and HP did a good job with the set-up tools. I believe that one of the advantages of Windows 7 is that it is much easier on the memory/chips in netbooks which so many people use now. Also, there are a couple of tools that are superhandy. I adore the "Clipping" tool--makes it SO easy to edit pictures when I want to pull a single detail out for a lecture. For the record, I went straight from XP to 7 without any stops at Vista.

Alan
4-22-11, 12:46pm
Grrrrr with the frustration that I am going through. I am so glad that I paid for the extended warranty support so that Staples techies can do the downloads. It is frustrating to give up my computer for all these steps now.
I need a new driver for my Wifi stick that I use at the library. Cannot connect without the Wifi stick, cannot use the stick without the driver, can't get the driver without access to internet..... Grrrr.

Don't let your frustration get the better of you. Installing a driver is a pretty simple, straightforward process. If you have access to a flash drive, just download the driver from whatever computer you're posting here on to the flash drive, then plug the flash drive in to your new laptop.

If you're having problems finding the appropriate driver, give me the model of the device you want to install and I'll find it for you. I enjoy making things work. :cool:

razz
4-22-11, 7:52pm
Had to chuckle when I saw the EMS wagon icon over the Grrr. I didn't put it there!
Thanks so much for the offer, Alan, I will find the right name and see what you are able to find.

JaneV2.0
4-22-11, 8:24pm
I haven't yet had to deal with W7 driver issues, but I'm going to have to set up a cable modem without any other way to get on line, apparently--which is clearly impossible. I guess I'll just use my old laptop for the setup, and maybe in perpetuity. I don't care what MS supports as in 16 years of being on line I've never contacted them about an OS problem, or anything else.

mira
4-23-11, 6:05am
My partner works in IT support and tells me Windows 7 is much easier to use in general and that it has lots of useful things built in. I've never used it, so I can't comment.

JaneV2.0
4-23-11, 12:44pm
I'm willing to be converted, but XP has worked for me for years, transparently. And I like transparency in an OS.