PDA

View Full Version : Experience Valley Childbirth Ad Campaign

mybodymyself
4-22-11, 5:34pm
Experience Valley Childbirth Ad Campaign (http://experiencevalleychildbirth.com/)

Passing this along to you guys because I want to know your thoughts on this. Have to say that I'm still torn on this. Especially, I'm no longer volunteering in that area of the hospital because they got rid of everything that I did while I was there. Also, haven't been up ever since then, but do see some people from up there in another parts of the hospital. They have asked me why I'm no longer there and of course I explained why. Have to say that its somewhat of relief to no longer be up there, but still miss it.

domestic goddess
4-23-11, 1:19pm
I'm not quite sure what kind of thoughts you want on this. It's an advertisement, so I take it with a grain of salt. Like just about everything else, this is the ideal. Some people will get it, and some won't, for a variety of reasons, which may not be anyone's fault. Most hospitals have similar ad campaigns here, too, so I don't think this is all that unusual.
Don't know how I would feel about volunteers in that area. I didn't really feel like socializing when dd was born, during the cruel hoax known as "natural childbirth". Preferred it when dh went out to "talk to the dr.", and came back smelling like cigarette smoke. Apparently, he thought I was too stupid or too preoccupied to notice. Anyway, when he was there, he couldn't be quiet, so it was something of a relief when he left. Since I couldn't get the answer I wanted from the dr., I didn't really want him around, either. The nurses were much more helpful.
DD, on the other hand, had an excellent dr. for her first delivery, who came into her birthing room and spent hours with us. She talked with us all, kept us informed, and just joined the group. So did the nurse, who was very helpful afterwards, too. 2 decades apart, different experiences, but dd likes having people around her more than I do.

Stella
4-23-11, 3:40pm
I'm not sure what you are looking for either. It sounds like a nice place to have a baby.

I've had four kids in two different hospitals with different experiences each time. Domestic Goddess, I'm not someone who wants a lot of people around when I'm giving birth either, which is odd for me because pretty much any other time I am very social. I'm like a cat. Let me crawl into the closet and birth my babies. I loved having DH there and I really liked my nurses. The first birth my sister was there too and for the second my freind was there. I wanted back-up in case DH passed out. He has fainting issues when looking at blood. For babes 3 and 4 I knew he could hold it together.

I've never had the doctor there in the room with me for more than a few minutes before birth. I'm OK with that. It surprised me with my first, but not in a bad way. I've had an epidural each time and I'm grateful for it. My last birth was actually almost entirely pain free. I watched HGTV and napped almost the whole time.

The volunteers at the hospital where I had my last two just brought in hot tea, hot towels with lavender oil and cookies or scones everyday. Lovely! They just popped in and asked what you wanted and popped back out. It didn't feel intrusive.

domestic goddess
4-23-11, 4:18pm
Stella, I'm a loner most of the time. If I'm sick, mourning, angry, whatever, just let me be. I really would have been fine without DH there, because he wasn't helpful by any stretch of anyone's imagination, and he couldn't seem to just leave me alone, except when he was smoking.
DD's dr. was just great. She was a family practice MD who also did deliveries. She was already at the hospital for another delivery, and when it was over, she came in to check on dd and ended up staying. This was soon after 9/11, so we talked about that, watched news on TV, and were there for dd, who likes to have people around. The dr. even talked about herself a bit, and we learned that she was trying to get pregnant (actually probably already was then). She was young, calm, and a good person for dd to have around. Since they spent almost 4 days trying to get dd to go into labor (pre-eclampsia), and she just wouldn't do it, I was glad this dr. didn't push for a C-Section. DGD finally decided to enter the world, and all was fine. I wish the dr. could have seen her as an older child, but she and her dh moved out of the state shortly after the birth.
Me, I don't really form relationships with drs. or many other people, for that matter. I hire them to do a job, and that's all I want. The only volunteers I saw at the hospital when dd was born was nursing students who asked me if I would teach a class on bathing a baby.

lhamo
4-23-11, 6:34pm
What's the problem? I don't get it.

lhamo

H-work
4-24-11, 12:05am
The website caused my Safari browser to crash, the sound came thru but the video didn't play, then the whole thing froze.

Tiam
4-24-11, 12:55am
I'm not sure I get what the question is?