PDA

View Full Version : everything broke!

Zoe Girl
8-2-16, 8:20pm
I had the most frustrating day, argh. I have to work at the main office until my school re-opens, the school I had camp at needed me to move out so I did that quickly. I have some frustration with things being in the wrong place again, like some paperwork at home that I needed today at the office. I really thought the only issue would be that I would feel displaced a little, but it was much worse, mostly technology and I have a call into tech support but thought I could fix it myself.

* my work computer does not connect to the payroll/timeclock system
* I got the site computer out of storage since it works with the payroll system and found I left payroll paperwork at home
* neither of the computers talk to any of the printers at the main office, 3 other people had the same issue
hey no problem, I am resourceful. I took both computers home, got them onto my home network, they are connected to the work printer I have at home, AND
* neither one will work on the payroll system now, even with using the desktop icons installed for me
* tech support replied to the printer issue and wanted to know when in the next 5-7 days I was available, I think I need to print before that

So I am a day behind where I needed to be on payroll, I am going in very early tomorrow to see if I can make it all work and tempted to load up the printer and bring that in too. I can do the payroll there but I want to print copies for my staff since I can only go back one pay period and check records. I could always save the copies as files instead of worrying about printing tomorrow,

I have Thursday and Friday as vacation days and I REALLY want no reason for work to call me!

iris lilies
8-2-16, 8:23pm
I love computer problems. Not.

If
I were single and did not have DH around to fuss about how much things cost, I would have a tech guy on retainer.

jp1
8-4-16, 11:14am
Assuming you connect from home using a VPN it's possible that the site computer didn't map the network drive that the payroll system is on. I have that problem with a couple of network drives when I use my work computer remotely. Hopefully the problem resolves itself when you connect it directly to the office network.

ToomuchStuff
8-4-16, 2:27pm
Sounds like you are having workgroup and permissions errors. Sorry about your sanity (EVERYTHING broke).:D

Zoe Girl
8-9-16, 9:30am
Okay it all worked out, but I couldn't answer because I was at work and then I went on vacation! Awesome! and all my staff are set up to get paid. Whew,

I got tech support on the phone, and the payroll system worked better when I was on the district server. Plus they had to set up a 'follow me' printer, which means now I can print from anywhere in the district by just putting my work ID in on the printer/copier.

razz
8-9-16, 9:40am
Technology is wonderful when it all works together.