View Full Version : Recipes: Gluten Free

Amaranth
1-3-11, 7:25am
Gluten Free baked goods
Gluten Free sauces
and more

peggy
1-3-11, 10:11pm
I do know that the jarred white sauces, like alfredo sauce and triple cheese, etc..the kind you find in the spaghetti sauce aisle, is gluten free. Go figure! They use cornstarch. I don't know why, but they all seem to. Must have something to do with stability of the sauce. (I still haven't figured out why beef broth would have gluten!:confused:) Do read the labels though. I've read most of them but I'm sure not all.
Also, rice noodles are greatly enhanced if you boil them in chicken or vegetable stock. If you are going to make a chicken casserole, for instance, cook your chicken, then use that water to cook your noodles. Makes a HUGE difference. And buy your noodles from the local Asian food store, not the supermarket chain. Much better price.

Bastelmutti
1-4-11, 2:34pm
My SIL has celiac, and we usually make appetizers at Christmas when we're together. Here are a couple that are GF:
* Block of cream cheese and can of chili (check brands) topped with a little cheese & microwaved or baked until cheese melts. Serve with tortilla chips.
* Hot artichoke dip - canned artichokes, mayo (check brands), parmesan cheese baked in oven. Serve with rice crackers.

I also babysit a friend's children a couple of times per week, including one celiac kid. For snacks I usually serve
* GF hummus (check brands or make your own) with carrots/celery (cut on a separate GF cutting board)
* Cut-up cheese ("natural" cheese like cheddar, not low-fat or flavored) with apple slices (cut on a separate GF cutting board)

Two other favorites are chili mac made with Tinkyada elbow noodles from the southernfood.about.com recipe & tostadas with black beans, cheese, sour cream (Daisy is GF and other full-fat brands should be, too), lettuce, salsa (Pace and Green Mountain Gringo are labeled GF, or make your own). Another favorite GF kid dinner is plain grilled chicken drumsticks (I just season with salt) with rice & veg.