PDA

View Full Version : The values-based walk-through

Ultralight
9-1-16, 10:43am
I may have posted some previous version of this idea before. Or maybe I just thought about it and never did it.

But at a minimalist meeting some time back this idea came up:

Suppose a person, maybe some anthropologist or biographer, came into your house today, while you are not there. Suppose this person looked all around -- every room, closet, garage, fridge, etc.

Now if he sketched out a description of you based on what he saw in your home, say a paragraph long... what would he say?

iris lilies
9-1-16, 11:25am
I may have posted some previous version of this idea before. Or maybe I just thought about it and never did it.

But at a minimalist meeting some time back this idea came up:

Suppose a person, maybe some anthropologist or biographer, came into your house today, while you are not there. Suppose this person looked all around -- every room, closet, garage, fridge, etc.

Now if he sketched out a description of you based on what he saw in your home, say a paragraph long... what would he say?

Those in the Iris Lily household value old stuff. That idea is based on the fact that they live in a historic neighborhood known for preservation. They have furniture from the period of the house. The man of the house has an extensive tool collection, and he could (did?) build cabinetry in the house. They value food production and preservation, as evidenced by their big garden, canning and freezing equipment and stockpiled preserved food. There are multiple pets in the home but a curous lack of common consumer pet objects such as commercially available dog beds, balls, toys. Dog food and water bowls are prominent as are nylabones, but that is all. This suggests a minimalist mindset for keeping dogs.

Only a skilled forensic architectural anthropologist could tell that our house was a gut rehab completed by DH. I mean, anyone could tell it has a new interior, but only a very experienced researcher would be able to match up DH's tools, leftover debris in the basement, and the woodwork and carpentry around here to ascertain that he did all of the work himself.

Miss Cellane
9-1-16, 12:05pm

"She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain."*

*Louisa May Alcott

catherine
9-1-16, 12:07pm
Great job, IL. I can just see the "field notes on early 21st century home in central America."

Great topic, UA! When I can grab a minute, I'm going to think about it.

JaneV2.0
9-1-16, 12:13pm
She has many interests--especially creative ones, enjoys cooking spicy foods, is clearly a reader with catholic tastes. and has an accessory fetish. She isn't much interested in decor and she could use a housekeeper.

bae
9-1-16, 12:48pm
Buckaroo Banzai, born to an American mother and a
Japanese father, thus began life as he was destined
to live it... going in several directions at once. A
brilliant neurosurgeon, this restless young man grew
quickly dissatisfied with a life devoted solely to
medicine. He roamed the planet studying martial arts
and particle physics, collecting around him a most
eccentric group of friends, those hard-rocking
scientists, The Hong Kong Cavaliers.

And now, with his astounding jet car ready for a bold
assault on the dimensional barrier, Buckaroo Banzai
faces the greatest challenge of his turbulent life...

... while high above Earth, an alien spacecraft keeps
a nervous watch on Team Banzai's every move...

LDAHL
9-1-16, 1:33pm
A review of the documents and pictures in the small office reveal this to be the household of a minor official of the mandarinate. Credentials as a “Certified Public Accountant” and “Certified Management Accountant” indicate membership in one or more of the scribe-priesthoods of the early 21st century. Other documents, awards and photographs commenorate a brief and undistinguished military career during the final years of confrontation with the decaying Marxist empires of that era. One is perhaps entitled to a fair bit of amusement at the pride taken in the creation of weapons that we might consider to be the onagers and trebuchets of their day. An initial review of the electronic and paper records provide insight into the complex systems of taxation, shelter acquisition and borrowing/lending that prevailed before the Blockchain Age.

catherine
9-1-16, 2:06pm
Inhabitants didn't appear to have outside help such as gardeners, housekeepers or cooks, according to our observations about the upkeep. However, it appears that the decision to keep gardens and well-stocked kitchens was voluntary. The room that we have determined to be one of two "home offices"--rooms that gained in popularity in home design during that time--may have been ransacked prior to the inhabitants leaving, as there were multiple piles of paperwork strewn across furniture in a room that was otherwise orderly and almost "sacred" in wall and table art--incense, candles, inspirational quotations, and books about nature and spirituality etc speak to the inhabitant's interest in less wordly pursuits. It is unclear from the book collection exactly which spiritual tradition the inhabitant followed.

Inhabitants most certainly owned canine pets, as evidenced by many artworks by the dog artist Stephen Huneck as well as the signs in the wood floors of damage and/or wear of the kind caused by a medium sized dog--probably a black mix, as evidenced by the fur and dander seen about the house on floors and fabrics.

The inhabitants most certainly either had limited funds or chose not to spend their funds on new and/or modern furnishings from that time, as the furnishings were appraised to have come from a time two to eight decades prior to the time in which the owners inhabited the domicile. These furnishings were appraised to have minimal financial value. A neutrality in colors used and eclecticism in design belies a certain disregard for cohesion and order.

Ultralight
9-1-16, 2:19pm
These are all so much fun to read!

Ultralight
9-1-16, 2:33pm
Okay, I will do mine...

Seems boring, perhaps poor.
Owns dog.
Likes fishing.
Reads library books.
Works in an office and attends night school at the nearby university.
Fridge and pantries almost empty -- might not eat meat.
Cycle commuter.
Keeps illegible journal.
Flosses daily.