PDA

View Full Version : New Household Dust Study

19Sandy
9-15-16, 2:26am
So, there is a new household dust study that reveals that the stuff is often toxic, leading to infertility and illnesses.

I can dust almost everyday now that my windows are open during the daytime, and it is always dusty!

I prefer wet dusting to collect it and then I also do a lot of vacuuming, sweeping and mopping.

Dust is coming through the window screens of course.

In addition, my apartment is old with the paint, drywall and other construction materials degrading rapidly.

I make sure to change the filters on the climate control equipment myself (landlord seldom does it).

I am sure getting rid of stuff like I am doing is going to help eliminate the dust problem.

A lot of the dust is from road traffic from outside.

I know I have to wash my curtains and drapes a few times a year (royal pain to take the things down and put back up).

I have thought about buying an air purifier machine but those are pricey.

Another good reason to discard stuff is to avoid collecting dust!

Zoe Girl
9-15-16, 7:25am
My kids and I have asthma, and my oldest was so sensitive to everything in her environment! Dust was a big deal. So we had very little knick knack things, wood floors whenever possible, extra things stored in plastic tubs when needed, etc. I even noticed the smell of new shower curtains could be a problem with off-gassing. The best way to dust for me is the west method, just a damp microfiber cloth without any products on it. I also have a hepa-filter vacuum I use after I dust (we have carpets now). The air purifier really helps when my lungs have been 'twitchy', reactive to dust and things with fragrances. However if you do not have asthma or allergies I am not sure you need one.

greenclaire
9-15-16, 8:55am
I've just read the research paper. I think the title is a little misleading as it doesn't appear to be dust itself that's the problem (there's always been dust) but the toxic chemicals and plastics we are using in our homes that are building up.

https://www.nrdc.org/resources/not-just-dirt-toxic-chemicals-indoor-dust suggests some advice.

sweetana3
9-15-16, 2:42pm
Plain dirt and dust is really not the issue. It is the cleansers, off-gassing, building materials, fragrances in all kinds of products, etc. Basically consider that anything that is sprayed or smells consists of chemicals that are being deposited all over. I have become extremely sensitive, asthma reactive, to all kinds of smells and chemicals.

Years before we used water, vinegar, pure soap, etc. as our cleansers and seemed to survive pretty well.

I am amazed that so few consider that the dryer sheets and products could actually be damaging. I can smell my neighbor's products a house or two away.

Kestra
9-15-16, 3:10pm
I was living with friends recently (in a big housing-transition period right now) and the lady had an "air freshener" spray thing going all the time. Drove me crazy. I minimize chemicals, especially pointless fragrances. I'd turn it off when she went to work and I was home doing stuff. Our home inspector called them chemical dispensers. He had some strong opinions about such things, which I completely agree with.

Chicken lady
9-15-16, 4:53pm
I have an air freshener thingy I keep going most of the winter. It's a cast iron kettle that sits on top of the woodstove and we fill it with water and a couple of cinnamon sticks.

bonus - you can drink out of it.

iris lilies
9-15-16, 5:42pm
I have an air freshener thingy I keep going most of the winter. It's a cast iron kettle that sits on top of the woodstove and we fill it with water and a couple of cinnamon sticks.

bonus - you can drink out of it.
That would be nice!

jp1
9-15-16, 10:13pm
I was living with friends recently (in a big housing-transition period right now) and the lady had an "air freshener" spray thing going all the time. Drove me crazy. I minimize chemicals, especially pointless fragrances. I'd turn it off when she went to work and I was home doing stuff. Our home inspector called them chemical dispensers. He had some strong opinions about such things, which I completely agree with.

Ugggh. Don't get me started about the hotel in Denver that we used to stay at when visiting my father. I swear they just poured a gallon of fabreze around every room after cleaning it. And the windows didn't open so we just had to live with it. At least for the first day.

19Sandy
9-16-16, 12:30am
I think hotels have to fumigate now for bedbugs, I bet the febreeze is to cover up the pesticide odor.

sweetana3
9-16-16, 6:58am
There is no known pesticide that a hotel could use to fumigate for bedbugs. They just use perfumed cleaners due to smells.

CathyA
9-16-16, 7:49am
There is no known pesticide that a hotel could use to fumigate for bedbugs. They just use perfumed cleaners due to smells.

DDT? ;)

jp1
9-16-16, 3:55pm
Actually SO's hotel uses heat to kill bed bugs. They take as much potentially infested stuff out of the room (sofa cushions, bedding, etc) to be cleaned, prop the mattress up so air can circulate all around it, and then use a massive propane heater for 24 hours. Once everything gets above a certain temperature the bugs die.

19Sandy
9-16-16, 6:31pm
Yes, heat treatment is appropriate but that doesn't mean that place uses it. They might still use pesticides for bedbugs

By the way, bedbugs is indeed one word not two - it is one of the most frequently misspelled words in the English language.

I remember it because we don't write grass hopper (two words) because it is actually grasshopper.

However, a lot of exterminators use bed bugs (two words) - this is one of my pet peeves!

Anyone who travels risks bringing home bedbugs in their luggage. The critters can also be inside airplanes and such - yikes.

Kids can bring the insects home in backpacks too.

I wouldn't surprise me if some of those climb into library books.

You can't see the eggs or nymphs (clear bodies and very tiny).

Heat treatment are majorly expensive too.

One of my neighbors brought home bedbugs from a vacation and of course landlord evicted this person right away. Got a 3-day eviction notice.

Neighbor had to move out fast but sued because it was illegal.

Scary stuff!

19Sandy
9-17-16, 2:12am
Growing up, my family was subjected to massive toxic overload from volatile cleansers and lot of Avon products. I was sick all the time as a child and still have health issues as a result. Of course, no one considered that that stuff was dangerous in the olden days.