PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see 60 Minutes tonight (Easter Sunday)?

Tradd
4-24-11, 9:43pm
If you did, just wondering what you though of the two segments on Mount Athos, the millenium old center of Orthodox monasticism in northern Greece?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/21/60minutes/main20056101.shtml?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

If not, you can watch online.

Will withhold my comments until I hear some of yours. ;)

iris lily
4-24-11, 11:33pm
I can't comment on the show because I watched, literally, 5 seconds of it, but I thought of you when I saw that it was about Orthodox church.

JaneV2.0
4-25-11, 12:39pm
I made a point to watch. I've never bought that the only way to get to whatever your understanding of the afterlife is is through unending prayer/ritual/denial. If there's any point to all this, it is that we all have a turn at this material dimension to make what we will of it, and I don't think you have to be a saint to move on--if indeed we do move on. But I do long for a quiet, scenically beautiful sanctuary to live in, and that icon studio was very appealing to me. I can see why the monastic life calls out to some.

ETA: Living in the real world is so much more fraught with frustration, struggle and strife, I can see why these men are considerably healthier than average--they're living in a pretty little bubble.