PDA

View Full Version : Happy Columbus Day

LDAHL
10-10-16, 9:42am
As with all major historical events, one could argue that the European discovery of the Americas had both good and evil consequences. But as someone who is quite happy to be an American, I choose to celebrate Columbus Bay.

Ultralight
10-10-16, 9:47am
I stand with Howie Zinn on this one! ;)

LDAHL
10-10-16, 9:58am
I stand with Howie Zinn on this one! ;)

Guilty Americans, but still Americans?

Ultralight
10-10-16, 10:03am
I don't feel guilty.

I just think Chris Columbus is not worth celebrating.

LDAHL
10-10-16, 10:32am
I don't feel guilty.

I just think Chris Columbus is not worth celebrating.

I think his accomplishment is. I'm grateful for all the glorious and sordid turns of history that landed me in this place and time.

early morning
10-10-16, 3:38pm
Whatever anyone thinks about CC, I am grateful for the day off!

Ultralight
10-10-16, 3:38pm
I live in Columbus, OH but I have to work!

bae
10-10-16, 3:48pm
Columbus was a newcomer.

https://sturgischick.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/bike-trip-newfoundland-sept-7-094.jpg

http://www.landoffirstcontact.ca/files/site_media/Viking%20site_27.jpg

ApatheticNoMore
10-10-16, 3:48pm
Whatever anyone thinks about CC, I am grateful for the day off!

Yep, the most important thing is to get and keep more time off, however it's done (but like most people of course I don't have off).

greenclaire
10-10-16, 3:59pm
I thought Columbus landed on the 12th? My birthday is the 12th, that's how I remember it. Today is only the 10th!

Alan
10-10-16, 4:02pm
I thought Columbus landed on the 12th? My birthday is the 12th, that's how I remember it. Today is only the 10th!In the US, we like to subvert history to fit our desires. We now celebrate most of the minor holidays on Mondays in order for government workers to have a 3 day weekend.

LDAHL
10-10-16, 4:03pm
I thought Columbus landed on the 12th? My birthday is the 12th, that's how I remember it. Today is only the 10th!

Alan is correct. In this civilized country we generally round history off to the nearest Monday for the sake of our beloved government workers. I remember my first year in the Air Force I innocently showed up for work on Columbus Day. The guard at the gate gave me such a condescending smirk that I pretended that I was there to put in some extra work, and sat in my office for six hours out of pure spite.

greenclaire
10-10-16, 4:05pm
Well I guess you don't have that much history so you can pick and choose your days ;)

LDAHL
10-10-16, 4:15pm
Well I guess you don't have that much history so you can pick and choose your days ;)

Our eccentricity is part of our charm. We aren't that keen on the metric system either.

I once tried explaining the Electoral College system to a visitor from Armenia. He thought I was making it up.

creaker
10-10-16, 4:35pm
I think his accomplishment is. I'm grateful for all the glorious and sordid turns of history that landed me in this place and time.

Maybe we should have Hitler day as well - he probably had more to do than anyone with transforming the US from its gray post-Depression days to the vibrant superpower it became.

ApatheticNoMore
10-10-16, 4:39pm
even government workers having off is good, the commute of those who do have to work was very light, and everyone likes that, and those that didn't work - that's tons of carbon not spewed into the air (commuting) for who knows what really.

Alan
10-10-16, 4:44pm
even government workers having off is good, the commute of those who do have to work was very light, and everyone likes that, and those that didn't work - that's tons of carbon not spewed into the air (commuting) for who knows what really.I've long been a proponent of downsizing government but even after 40 years of arguing for it, I've never thought of that benefit.

Tybee
10-10-16, 4:49pm
We have lots of history, greenclaire, including some of yours. My Yorkshire ancestors, the Calverts, settled Maryland, and my Williams grandfather went to Cambridge and then founded Rhode Island--I'd say there is plenty of history to go around.

bae
10-10-16, 4:54pm

I recently visited a village here in North America that has been more-or-less continually inhabited by the same people for ~12,000-13,000 years, and possibly a few thousand years longer. They still have a rich oral history...

greenclaire
10-10-16, 4:59pm
We have lots of history, greenclaire, including some of yours. My Yorkshire ancestors, the Calverts, settled Maryland, and my Williams grandfather went to Cambridge and then founded Rhode Island--I'd say there is plenty of history to go around.

I know, my partner is American and it's a long standing joke. BTW, where in Yorkshire? I'm from Yorkshire and know a few Calvert's here.

LDAHL
10-10-16, 5:01pm
Maybe we should have Hitler day as well - he probably had more to do than anyone with transforming the US from its gray post-Depression days to the vibrant superpower it became.

Well he certainly taught us a valuable lesson about the twin follies of indifference and appeasement.

greenclaire
10-10-16, 5:02pm
I recently visited a village here in North America that has been more-or-less continually inhabited by the same people for ~12,000-13,000 years, and possibly a few thousand years longer. They still have a rich oral history...

Surely they're a bit wrinkly by now ;)

LDAHL
10-10-16, 8:37pm
Surely they're a bit wrinkly by now ;)

You know how it is. You find a decent rent controlled place, and you want to stay forever.

Zoe Girl
10-10-16, 8:43pm
No day off here! I work all days up to the day before Thanksgiving.