PDA

View Full Version : Huge Challenge in So Many Ways

Float On
4-25-11, 2:27pm
I barely know where to put this post.

We've rec'd 10" of rain so far and another 2 days of rain expected.
I can put this post here because it's a challenge to stay dry. It's been raining since Friday.
I could put it in gardening because my raised beds of veggies are suffering from too much water.
I could put it under housing or financing because one of my dormers sprung a leak and I'll need to replace some of my ceiling drywall afer we get it found, dried, and fixed (roofer is a neighbor so he is stopping in several times a day to check on it but the caulk won't dry as long as it's still raining).

My "Float On" seems pretty appropriate. They are getting ready to open the gates at the dam, and down stream is already flooding.

What fun!

To top it off, This could go in Rants because I have to do the mad dash into the grocery store - I'll have to get plastic bags instead of reusing my paper ones. I hate loading and unloading wet grocery bags.

pinkytoe
4-25-11, 3:23pm
Please send it our way. We are in a record drought with multiple wildfires across the state. I guess that high pressure ridge across the middle of the country acts like a barrier for sharing our weather. Such extremes though...

razz
4-25-11, 7:03pm
We have received about half that amount and it is more than enough!! Hope that you get the issues worked out with your roof.

Glo
4-26-11, 9:23am
Its been raining for several days with more to come here in NE Ohio. The rain is on my last nerve; we can't mow because its too wet; can't start my garden because its too wet. I could go on and on but bottom line is I wish we'd dry out. And I'm a person that likes rain!

CathyA
4-26-11, 9:47am
I hear ya Float On...
We're getting ridiculous, unending amounts of rain too, but nothing like some counties in the southern part of the state (Indiana).
We have a huge creek down the middle of our property and fortunately, it seems to go down quickly, although at times half of our property is under water.
Some of my garden is under water, but that's nothing compared to flooding of homes.
I'll send some dry thoughts your way!

kib
4-26-11, 10:38am
I'd be delighted to send some dry thoughts your way too. New Mexico is having the driest season in 100 years, and that apparently extends into our extreme southeastern corner of Arizona. We have had less than a quarter inch of rain here in seven MONTHS. Too wet or too dry, either way these extended anomalies are killers for the local ecology and community. :(

Float On
4-26-11, 10:46am
There is nothing wet falling from the sky this morning but more expected.
They opened all 10 gates at the dam around the corner from my house and then had a small mudslide at the dam so they've closed that road. We drove down the hill last night and the neighborhood is flooded. So I have much to be thankful for that I just had a small leak and only a small repair - not an entire house repair (2nd time in 3 years for a lot of these people).

And Glo we discussed how when we finally get to mow we'll have to mow once on the highest setting, rake and then mow again on a lower setting - at least I'll have lots of green to add to the compost.

CathyA
4-26-11, 10:56am
I was thinking you lived in MI, but its MO. It would be sort of scary living near a dam during horrible flooding times.
My chicken coop is leaking, but I shouldn't even be mentioning that! No biggie.
We run out and sit on our deck whenever there's a few hours of dry time.....which is hardly ever.
And the grass...........we'll have to cut and bale it when we can ever get to it!
The asparagus is popping up, and not flooded, which is a nice little ray of hope.
Stay dry Float On..........and don't drive through any water!

CathyA
4-27-11, 10:00pm
How's it going Float On?
I was wondering if you lived in the area that was on the national news tonight. I forget the name of it. But they mentioned a dam. I hope you're okay.