PDA

View Full Version : FREEDOM! Update 2 and counting years of FI!

Packratona!
10-20-16, 8:13pm
Hey all; realized I missed the update of the 2 year "anniversary" of being FI. So decided to do a short update. Read over my last one, so will touch a bit on what I wrote there.
Still learning and practicing new frugality skills.
1) Our health care insurance company, like last year's, is being cancelled at end of year so have to start new one, with new doctor etc. again. So, am being proactive and taking an exploratory two week trip to Mexico, to have dental work done, about a fourth of the cost of the estimate of my dentist stateside. It is a safe city where lots of Brits and Americans go to get their health care; some end up staying.
2) Newspaper subscription was I think $2 or something like that, for a two year subscription. Some kind of special they were running, noticed it on a card with the coupon code. So that is saving me almost $300 over the two years.
3) Got new email address so I can just do Wifi if the internet company I am with tries to raise our rates, we can just cancel.
4) Signed up for a Southwest credit card, so our airfare costs are almost nothing.
5) Remodeled our house, doing some of the work ourselves.
6) As part of remodeling, we had to basically pack up most of our belongings in boxes so they could be moved from room to room as we were working. We purged when we packed it up, and purged even more when we unpacked it to put it all back. A lot of work, we have a ton of stuff, but it is great to be more organized, with less stuff!
7) In between trips, will work on purging and organizing photos and paperwork. That will take longer to purge than our other belongings.

Hope to be completely done by next Spring. Then, I will have more time for some research and writing projects, as well as some more traveling.

Gardenarian
10-20-16, 10:44pm
Congratulations!
My 2 year retirement anniversary is coming up soon - the time has zoomed by.

I've been thinking about Mexico for dental work to, but feel quite nervous about it. I'll be looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Kudos for coming up with new ways to be frugal!

Packratona!
10-21-16, 1:41pm
Congratulations!
My 2 year retirement anniversary is coming up soon - the time has zoomed by.

I've been thinking about Mexico for dental work to, but feel quite nervous about it. I'll be looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Kudos for coming up with new ways to be frugal!

I try to write it my experiences when I get back! Will even try to take photos!

freshstart
10-21-16, 5:22pm
congratulations on year 2, you're getting a lot accomplished

ctg492
10-22-16, 5:14am
Mexico for dental work. This is new to me, I am from the far north and so would never have thought. So what would be the savings really? I assume you can travel there with out a great cost.

Packratona!
10-22-16, 3:17pm
Mexico for dental work. This is new to me, I am from the far north and so would never have thought. So what would be the savings really? I assume you can travel there with out a great cost.

My rough estimate of basic expenses thus far:

$1,320 for dental work there (the estimate from my dentist here, after bargaining, is about $5,500)
$ 245 for 14 nights of hotel per person (splitting the cost with sister). This is for room with air conditioning, hotel pool, breakfast included, two beds.
$ 78.59 for airfare to Cancun, this covers the fees, the actual ticket cost is paid for by Southwest credit card points. Scheduled the trip carefully so I pay the minimum in points.
$ 37.00 round trip luxury bus from Cancun to Merida, Yucatan, where the dentist is. This price fluctuates depending on exactly which class/brand of bus we get and whether we purchase it ahead of time or not.
$ 28.00 local bus transportation; buses cost 50 cents so budgeting $2 a day. Price will go up if we use Uber or taxis some of the time.
$ 140. pp for food at $10 a day. Free breakfast at hotel, one meal at a sit down restaurant (there are tons of them and food is great and price is good) and one meal will be snacks, street food, etc. (tacos 2/$1 for instance).

Total estimate for basic expenses: $1,849 trip including dental care.

I did not include: any pricey tours, taxi rides, or souvenirs. Our hotel is in the historic, touristy center of town and there is lots to do there that is free or very inexpensive, within walking distance.
I also did not include price of trip health insurance as I have not bought that yet. Also, what the cost of the dental work will be is based on prices quoted to me via email from the dentist there who has not seen my teeth yet. I just told him what I needed done based on what the dentist here said I needed done. But anyway it looks to me like the total savings will be several thousand dollars. Check it out on line: dental care in Merida, Yucatan! A lot of Canadians and Americans go there.

19Sandy
10-24-16, 6:05pm
My rough estimate of basic expenses thus far:

$1,320 for dental work there (the estimate from my dentist here, after bargaining, is about $5,500)
$ 245 for 14 nights of hotel per person (splitting the cost with sister). This is for room with air conditioning, hotel pool, breakfast included, two beds.
$ 78.59 for airfare to Cancun, this covers the fees, the actual ticket cost is paid for by Southwest credit card points. Scheduled the trip carefully so I pay the minimum in points.
$ 37.00 round trip luxury bus from Cancun to Merida, Yucatan, where the dentist is. This price fluctuates depending on exactly which class/brand of bus we get and whether we purchase it ahead of time or not.
$ 28.00 local bus transportation; buses cost 50 cents so budgeting $2 a day. Price will go up if we use Uber or taxis some of the time.
$ 140. pp for food at $10 a day. Free breakfast at hotel, one meal at a sit down restaurant (there are tons of them and food is great and price is good) and one meal will be snacks, street food, etc. (tacos 2/$1 for instance).

Total estimate for basic expenses: $1,849 trip including dental care.

I did not include: any pricey tours, taxi rides, or souvenirs. Our hotel is in the historic, touristy center of town and there is lots to do there that is free or very inexpensive, within walking distance.
I also did not include price of trip health insurance as I have not bought that yet. Also, what the cost of the dental work will be is based on prices quoted to me via email from the dentist there who has not seen my teeth yet. I just told him what I needed done based on what the dentist here said I needed done. But anyway it looks to me like the total savings will be several thousand dollars. Check it out on line: dental care in Merida, Yucatan! A lot of Canadians and Americans go there.

Are you getting implants?

Teacher Terry
10-24-16, 6:23pm
I doubt it because implants in the states are 5k each or if you need the entire top or both done each is 33k.

iris lilies
10-24-16, 7:04pm
My friend wants to go south of the border to get one mplant and wants a friend to go with her. I suppose I dont really have a good reason not to go (she will pay my airfare, not sure about hotel) except that, I just am not interested in That part of the world. I am not sure if she is talking about Mexico or elsewhere, I cant remember.

Packratona!
10-25-16, 6:51pm
Are you getting implants?

I am getting 3 crowns.

Gardenarian
10-26-16, 8:37pm
Implants often require multiple return visits, so I wouldn't consider having them done far away. I have a lot of old crowns and a need for a couple new ones.

Packrational, any investment advice? I recently purchased a rental house (rents for $1850/month.) Real estate keeps going up here - more demand than supply. I'll either sell it some time in the future, or dh and I may downsize and move into it.

Packratona!
10-26-16, 9:00pm
Implants often require multiple return visits, so I wouldn't consider having them done far away. I have a lot of old crowns and a need for a couple new ones.

Packrational, any investment advice? I recently purchased a rental house (rents for $1850/month.) Real estate keeps going up here - more demand than supply. I'll either sell it some time in the future, or dh and I may downsize and move into it.

Well if you can stand the hassles of renting out places, this is a good time to do it; good investment if you are careful, and indeed rents are high and keep rising. I personally would never want to rent out, don't have the stomach for it. But that's just me; sounds like too much work ha ha!

Gardenarian
10-29-16, 10:03pm
I'm using a property management company. They take 8% of the rent and do all the work. The company I'm working with are very ethical and have good reviews from both tenants and landlords.

The only thing I'm doing myself is the landscaping (mowing the small yard once or twice a month, in season.) No biggie.

Packratona!
11-1-16, 9:15pm
I'm using a property management company. They take 8% of the rent and do all the work. The company I'm working with are very ethical and have good reviews from both tenants and landlords.

The only thing I'm doing myself is the landscaping (mowing the small yard once or twice a month, in season.) No biggie.

Sounds good then!

awakenedsoul
11-2-16, 11:51pm
Hi Packratona! Congratulations on your two year anniversary. I'm sorry that you need to get three crowns, but it sounds like you have it all organized and planned. Something that saved me a lot of money after getting my dental work done was the system that Dr. Ellie teaches. She has some Youtube videos. It's really helped me. I've been using her routine and rinse recommendations for the past fifteen years, and have only had one very small cavity, between my teeth. I used to have terrible teeth. I buy the zylotol in bulk at Sprouts.

Keep up the great work. I love hearing about people who are FI. It's inspiring...

pony mom
11-4-16, 9:44pm
Hi Packratona! Congratulations on your two year anniversary. I'm sorry that you need to get three crowns, but it sounds like you have it all organized and planned. Something that saved me a lot of money after getting my dental work done was the system that Dr. Ellie teaches. She has some Youtube videos. It's really helped me. I've been using her routine and rinse recommendations for the past fifteen years, and have only had one very small cavity, between my teeth. I used to have terrible teeth. I buy the zylotol in bulk at Sprouts.

Keep up the great work. I love hearing about people who are FI. It's inspiring...

I second the Dr. Ellie system. Super easy, inexpensive and your teeth will look and feel great! I actually reversed a cavity.

Packratona!
11-6-16, 8:10pm
I second the Dr. Ellie system. Super easy, inexpensive and your teeth will look and feel great! I actually reversed a cavity.

Hmm sounds really interesting! Will check into it when I get back, leaving tomorrow!
Update: I just remembered I have a wonderful cousin who stays on the coast, Playa del Carmen for a few months each year so going to go see her for a couple days before I leave! A longer bus ride with the detour but who can turn down a couple days on a beach with soft white sand! She's a great cook but actually I am hoping she takes us out for the "cocoanut chicken" she said she had the other night. So anyway I put my snorkle gear back in the suitcase...ferry out to Cozumel from her place....

Packratona!
11-6-16, 8:13pm

Thank you so much awakenedsoul! FI is really really great! Opens up your world! So I am on my way tomorrow to start learning to speak Maya...on location...

awakenedsoul
11-8-16, 6:19pm
Sounds wonderful, Packratona! I can hear the happiness in your "voice". Have a great time. So glad that Dr. Ellie's system is still working for you, pony mom. I hope your shoulder is better, too.

I buy the zylotol in bulk at Sprouts. The whole chemistry aspect of how cavities develop amazes me. I was talking to my dentist about it. He knew me when my teeth were a disaster, and he fixed everything. He said that the French don't get cavities, because they end their meals with wine and cheese. Dr. Ellie says to eat cheese or nuts after a meal to make the mouth alkaline. Mine was always acidic when I was younger.