PDA

View Full Version : About to get fired, what would you do?

ginastarke
1-3-11, 10:11am
Hi all,
I'm pretty much at the end of my career as a call center rep, ever since they decided we need to be salespeople, too. I've got lots of apps out there, but no bites just yet. No surprise since it was the holidays. I'm praying that my employer doesn't put up too much of a fight for unemployment, and trying to take care of everything I can before the day comes. I'm pretty good at survival frugality, and I'd like to make sure I'm prepared. Are there any purchases you would make in this situation, or would you just shove as much cash into "the mattress" as possible? :help:

Merski
1-3-11, 10:36am
Are you sure you don't want to at least try out the sales component?

Crystal
1-3-11, 11:39am
Stock up on inexpensive staples like beans and rice, shove as much cash into the mattress as possible, pay off debt if you have any, trade down to a cheaper place to live if you can, if you have health insurance get things like a checkup, try to stockpile some meds, get a dental checkup, catchup any car maintenance -- and I'm sorry to hear this. I went through it and these are the things that helped me.

Kat
1-3-11, 11:47am
Sorry to hear of your situation. Use your health insurance while you still have it. If it were me, I'd work on lowering my monthly bills as much as possible (which includes debt payoff if possible). Cancel anything that is not necessary--cable, internet, cell phone, etc. Save, save, save while you can!

ApatheticNoMore
1-3-11, 3:05pm
trade down to a cheaper place to live if you can

Although if it's a rental make sure you actually LIKE the place you are living in. Because of you hate your current crib, it will be a lot harder to get a new one when you don't have a paystub to show them. Ownership is a different ballgame, and not one I've played, so I'm not sure what to do if you have a mortgage. Although of course moving also always cost something :(, oh well just something to consider.

Jilly
1-3-11, 7:01pm
Gina, you did not ask this, but there are some things to consider pre-unemployment-wise.

If you quit, no unemployment benefits.
If you are let go, and it is for cause, the most likely result will be no benefits.

However, this change-over in job requirements, requiring employees to sell in addition to fielding calls, might be part of a restructuring. Some might call it a "culling" of less productive employees, but it all comes to the same thing. Visit the web sites for your state's department of workforce development. There you will find what the current regulations are for employers and employees, as well as how to prepare for the circumstances of becoming unemployed, and how to launch an appeal if you feel that appropriate.

Using the word fired implies that your parting with your company might not be on the best of terms, as least in relationship to how it benefits you. Whilst getting ready financially with regards to gathering provisions, but it is more important that you use this time to avoid doing anything that might have a negative impact on your future job prospects.

If I have gone off into an area that does not interest you, please accept my apologies. I am retired and this is the area my own career has led me. I am just thinking that you should be as self-protective about these aspects as possible.

ginastarke
1-3-11, 11:26pm
Sorry I wasn't more clear earlier. I'm definitely doing all I can to meet my numbers, but callers are panicky about spending anything since Christmas. Not about to do anything crazy. From ex co-workers I've talked to, termination for numbers is usually pretty safe for unemployment. As far as how it looks, most people get fired in 2-3 years, and I've survived 10. Even with that said, I'm sure looking for something else.

pattirose
1-4-11, 11:50pm
Apply for credit cards as you will not get one without a job, same with a line of credit, along with stockpiling medications, getting dental work done and any health tests or checkups you can while you are still covered (as already mentioned).

debi
1-5-11, 2:13pm
Gina: I worked for a call center when I first located where I'm at. The call center moved to another state (NC) and also to the Dominican Republic. We were offered a choice to stay and look for another position or go with the company. Most of those that followed the company were terminated within 2 to 3 month timeframe. What I would suggest - stay with the company as long as you can, but meanwhile update and put your resume out there. Look at your local newspapers, go on line and also to your state employment agency to look for jobs. You may have to take a cut in pay, benefits, or take any job until a better offer comes along. I hit the pavement at least 3 or 4 days per week. I also searched for positions within a 50 mile radius. I could have relocated back to the lower peninsula, but did not want to make the weekend trek of 6-1/2 hour drive one way each weekend. I was dealing with two homes and all the extra wear and tear on the vehicle and myself. Be patient as the times have not improved as much as what was first thought.