PDA

View Full Version : Hello Fellows!

Zoebird
4-27-11, 8:32am
HI everyone!

I found this place through the miss miminalist blog, which I discovered via my friend Tradd. :) Sweet.

A bit about me.

I was really blessed to move to NZ last year from PA, USA. We basically got rid of everything except for 8 bags of stuff (which we brought with us) plus the 25 boxes that we wanted to ship (kitchen supplies, our favorite books, and just other things we couldnt' part with). I bet when those boxes arrive, we'll probably be able to declutter down to even less!

We came to NZ to run our own business -- i'm a yoga teacher and we run a holistic health center. DH is a writer, and working on getting into film work here. It's awesome.

We have lived in a 1 bedroom apartment -- DH, our 2.5 yr old son and myself -- for the last year and a bit, and we love it. We bought a bed and dresser when we moved here, the basics for our kitchen, and little else. We were gifted: a wardrobe for our coats in the entry way; a bench which we use in the kitchen; a bean bag, and a foam mattress which we use in our living room when we want a comfy seat.

Every day, we picnic all of our meals on the floor of our kitchen or lounge. I think our next thing will be a table.

We are looking to move into a place with a little yard, and 3 bedrooms. DH is a bit less minimal and more messy than I am, and as a writer, he really needs his own office space. I've tried combining it, and we make each other crazy.

He needs his altar of inspirational trinkets; it looks like trash to me! He loves his piles of papers; I'm a definite and dedicated purger and filer. So, one room will be his office -- for him to keep as messy and piled up as he wants.

The second bedroom will be for DS when he is ready for it. That may be a few years yet, but who knows!

And of course, the third bedroom for DH and I.

So, we will be accumulating a bit more stuff, but the place we are looking at is a 650 sq ft beach cottage with a little fenced front and back yard where DS can play. As our current 500 sq ft seems huge, no doubt this will be massive. :)

I'm excited to move in and feather the nest minimally, as is my austere style. Also, I like to keep it all very clean, and the less I have to clean, the better.

It's autumn here, now, but old habits die hard and I'm hard-core decluttering and cleaning the whole place (our current apartment and the offices where we work).

It's great. Looking forward to joining in!

Mrs-M
4-27-11, 8:49am
A great big warm welcome to you Zoebird! You sound like just the breath of fresh air we need!!! :)

I love the sounds of yoga and holistic health as a combo. You're talking my language. Wishing you all the best with your move and with settling in. Moving can be so stressful.

iris lily
4-27-11, 8:56am
I love New Zealand even though I've never been there, but I know I'd like to live there. It was a great move that you made. Send photos!

Rosemary
4-27-11, 12:21pm
Welcome! I'd love to hear your impressions of NZ - I've never been there, either.

Zoebird
4-27-11, 6:35pm
well, quite honestly, we love it here.

we live in wellington, which is pretty expensive comparatively, but we've adjusted. we love the city, and we love living on the harbor. right now, we live in the city, in a rather "dodgy" neighborhood -- but being from philly, it doesn't even "blip" on our radar. our biggest problem is drunk students, and they are no problem. :) we live in a high-student area. :)

we are currently a 10 minute walk from work. we don't own a car, so we walk and/or bus everywhere. DS also walks -- he can manage about 5-7 kms per day right now. he's quite an active little fellow! Once a week, we walk to the grocery store and back. Usually just my husband does it because it is easier. It's good exercise too -- about two kms with about 80 lbs of food. LOL

i love my work. it's a holistic health collective -- so we have a lot of different modalities. I teach yoga classes and private lessons as well as teacher training. It's a lot of fun! Definitely my dream job!

we will be moving to a suburban/beach-town neighborhood. We will get a car (very used, from a friend, but reliable) to use when we want to head out of town or into town for groceries once a week, but will be using public transport to get into town. I'm also thinking of biking it, but I'm not sure. I'm going to rearrange my work schedule a bit to help fit into family life, and DH will work from home. DS will be starting kindergarden (which goes from age 3-5 here). I believe it's 5 mornings a week.

we love that neighborhood because it is very friendly. there are lots of families and children literally roam in and out of the various houses there. Neighbors are always stopping by for a chat while on their walks. there are neighborhood parties. And, most of our friends live out there anyway. So, it would be a good fit for us.

we are really looking forward to it, and DH is psyched to have his own office. When we move in, my first priority is a kitchen table, my second will be getting his office going. Our bedroom is already done, of course. :) And, a friend gave me two mid-century modern chairs, so I'll recover the cushions and we'll be good-to-go in the lounge!

we have done some travel here -- mostly of the south island -- which is gorgeous. there is enough to see and do here, geologically speaking -- to keep one quite busy. beautiful beaches, gorgeous mountains, rolling plains, all kinds of amazing things to see and do. good thing we (and the kiddo) like to hike.

Jdemyen
4-29-11, 11:37pm
Welcome! I look forward to hearing a lot more from you. I am insanely jealous of the community feel that you have described, as a yearn to be able to give my children the freedom to roam around the neighborhood as we did when we were children. It sounds like you live a truly lovely life in NZ!