PDA

View Full Version : Have to brag on my son a little..............

CathyA
4-27-11, 11:21am
I had such troubles with my son growing up. I'm convinced he is ADHD. I knew he was gifted somehow, but he was so un-focused, never listened, forgot things all the time, struggled in school, etc., etc.

He's a senior in college in film-making. He's become extremely talented in sound production. A group of the students at his university made a feature film and we got to view it last night at the university. It was just amazing.

I never realized this, but putting sound to a movie is no easy task. You pretty much add all the sound, after the filming is done. He did an excellent job. Plus, he did most of the music score for it.
They used the songs of 2 local artists, and my son built the score around those.
He also did the sound for another short film, which won Best Picture at the university in the Student Film Festival and will be going to LA in the summer for the finals!
Everyone last night raved about his talents and his humility.
I'm so very proud of him.
And this should give all of you hope, who have very challenging children. Hang in there and keep supporting their individual talents. One day you will hopefully see it all pay off!
Thanks for letting me brag a bit!

redfox
4-27-11, 12:13pm
Yay! How gratifying for you. Thanks for sharing this with us... it's interesting!

Greg44
4-27-11, 1:15pm
It is great to see kids - no matter at what age - "take flight" and amaze us with what they do! A Mother's Day present a couple weeks early! Congratulations to the both of you!

pinkytoe
4-27-11, 1:21pm
You did a good job, Mom!

Kathy WI
4-27-11, 2:03pm
That is so cool to hear about. My son is ADHD to the max and driving me insane lately, but he's also really talented in music and all kinds of creative stuff. Right now he's downstairs playing "Born This Way" on the piano and singing. He has had so many problems in school and at home because of his behavior, but I can imagine him as an adult doing something really cool in music, choreography, planning bombastic events, something like that. My son is also into movie scores and has used them for skating programs, the more dramatic the better! Congratulations!

loosechickens
4-27-11, 2:09pm
We should probably remember that large numbers of the people who turn out to be creative, original, visionary, etc., and accomplish amazing things, were misfits, dreamers, problems in one way or another when young. Whether it's Einstein, who was considered literally stupid, to kids with attention disorders, etc., sometimes it takes some "odd" quality for originality to be born.

Good for your son.....I can just feel how proud you are, and how much he deserves it.

CathyA
4-27-11, 2:26pm
Thanks everyone,
I agree loosechickens. I wonder how many more really creative people would be out there, if we didn't try to fit every child into the same mold.
As we parents are going through the rough times when the kids are younger, it would be sooooo helpful to just have a little glimpse of creativity and focus that might be ahead of us! It would have eased our distress a bit.
I can still see the ADHD in DS. I've heard often that its really misnamed. Its should be "hyperfocus" syndrome. What makes DS good is his total obsession with what he's working on, until its finished and as good as it can be, to the exclusion of everything else. When you're older and working on one goal, it seems to be a good quality. But when you're young and ignoring all the other stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to, its not as good a quality!

Good luck with your son Kathy WI. Having a child like this is like riding a bucking bronco. You just have to hold on for dear life and ride along! (and try to keep them from hurting themselves!).

Kat
4-27-11, 3:23pm
What a talented young man! You must be so proud! :-)

earthshepherd
4-27-11, 3:26pm
Congratulations to your son! I also think that ADHD is a badge of creativity. And your support and encouragement and acceptance are, I'm sure, feathers in his cap as he becomes who he is!

Gardenarian
4-27-11, 3:38pm
That's wonderful Cathy! Congratulations to you and your son! :cool:

ejchase
4-27-11, 4:25pm
Congratulations!

KayLR
4-27-11, 7:56pm
That's wonderful he's found his niche! Sounds like he was meant to do this! You should brag!

iris lily
4-27-11, 7:57pm
That's very cool, I'm glad to hear it.

Zoebird
4-27-11, 8:09pm
Awesome! Congrats to him! :D

He might look into the job postings at Park Road Post (Peter Jackson's outfit) here in Wellington. :) It's a great (safe) town and a cool film community.

Fawn
4-27-11, 9:49pm
CathyA--very cool.

I wish the society scripts would just disapear.

So many of us have to find our own path!

Congrats to your son (and you) for finding the way.

CathyA
4-28-11, 8:04am
Thanks everyone!

He has come so far. There are still areas that he has trouble with. Like the amount of parking tickets on campus he has gotten. The amount has surpassed what the cost of a parking permit would have cost. His VISA debt is scary. He didn't get any money from all this work he's been doing. In fact, he bought some equipment to do a better job. He will have great earning potential shortly, but right now his bills are mounting, which is disconcerting. Its sort of a catch-22. If he doesn't buy some of the things he needs, he can't do a good job......but right now he's not earning any money.

Its funny....but now he's working on a video that will earn the university some grant money for film-maker students there in the future..........but not for him this year. I'm trying to teach him financial responsibility, but he needs to spend some money, in order to further his career.........but that's another post!

Thanks for your replies!