PDA

View Full Version : A cruise?

Ultralight
3-27-17, 9:46pm
I am thinking of taking a vacation. I want to go on a cruise.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a divorced middle aged man taking a cruise?

At the moment I am waiting on my passport to get renewed. So I am thinking this option over.

I was told cruises are great for unplugging. No need to have a phone and no need for a computer. You just show up.

Simplemind
3-27-17, 10:32pm
They are great for unplugging because you have to sell a kidney to afford what they charge you for internet service.

iris lilies
3-27-17, 11:36pm
Is that your main purpose, to unplug?

i just can't visualize you on a typical cruise. Maybe you aren't doing a "typical" one, though.

Kestra
3-27-17, 11:37pm
The only cruise I'm interested in is from Vancouver to Alaska. I think that'd be great. One day.

iris lilies
3-27-17, 11:40pm
The European river cruises sound interesting to me. But otherwise, nope.

Tybee
3-28-17, 12:15am
This is a USA today article about singles cruises to Mexico, some good info there:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/mexico-cruises-singles-43726.html

Ultralight
3-28-17, 6:56am
Is that your main purpose, to unplug?

i just can't visualize you on a typical cruise. Maybe you aren't doing a "typical" one, though. I like unplugging. But going to a foreign place without a cell phone or a computer could be rather problematic in this day-and-age.

I talked to a coworker about it. She said she and her family go purposefully to unplug their cell phones (can't get reception) and to stay off the internet (too costly!). She said this way she and her husband have to actually be together, or if the kids go too then this means they actually have to focus on their kids.

One of my classmates said it is just a good way to relax -- you just show up and get food and beverage. You just walk off the boat and stroll over to a beach. You can hang out at the pool. You can lounge around and read. You get to go to a few different places all at once.

Chicken lady
3-28-17, 7:47am
I have never been on a cruise. My parents went on one and my father hated it. Lots of people, touristy places, shows and activities and every time he tried to sit on the deck and read his book, people came over and tried to talk to him. My mom otoh loved it because she loves meeting new people and she loves shows and games and tourist traps.

At least, she loved it at the beginning. But my dad says everybody opens with "what do you do?" He hated his job and he hates the conversations it always leads to, so he told everybody he was a retired math teacher. Only problem was, there was a huge group of teachers on the cruise, and they kept wanting to talk to him about teaching stuff. After 4 days, he told everybody that he lied and started leading with conversation killers. By day 6, nobody would sit with my parents at meals anymore. So then dad was happy and mom was not.

also, be careful to balance your tolerance for economic injustice and environmental damage with your choice of destination, or you may end up depressed.

Ultralight
3-28-17, 7:52am
I have never been on a cruise. My parents went on one and my father hated it. Lots of people, touristy places, shows and activities and every time he tried to sit on the deck and read his book, people came over and tried to talk to him. My mom otoh loved it because she loves meeting new people and she loves shows and games and tourist traps.

At least, she loved it at the beginning. But my dad says everybody opens with "what do you do?" He hated his job and he hates the conversations it always leads to, so he told everybody he was a retired math teacher. Only problem was, there was a huge group of teachers on the cruise, and they kept wanting to talk to him about teaching stuff. After 4 days, he told everybody that he lied and started leading with conversation killers. By day 6, nobody would sit with my parents at meals anymore. So then dad was happy and mom was not.

also, be careful to balance your tolerance for economic injustice and environmental damage with your choice of destination, or you may end up depressed. Horrible tragic follies!

JaneV2.0
3-28-17, 9:33am
I've thought about that Alaska cruise; people who have been on it come back awed. There's also one on the equivalent of a tramp steamer where passengers help with the chores and sleep on the deck. I've forgotten who runs that one, and I don't know if it even still exists.

A lot of cruises now are organized around interests like quilting or a lecture series of some kind. Those might be interesting.

Chicken Lady, I like the sound of your father. My parents were the same combination. They say everyone marries their mother, which explains a lot in my case.

Tammy
3-28-17, 9:44am
The forced socialization with strangers at meals sounds awful to me. I've never gone on a cruise. I do like my solitude. I don't mind a crowd if people let me alone and I can observe from the periphery. Cruises have no way for me to escape. It sounds too much like junior high and high school - forced togetherness.

sweetana3
3-28-17, 9:47am
We went on numerous cruises because it was one of the few trips where hubby got away from work completely and did not have to drive or travel. We did not even get off the ship. It was wonderful and quiet when everyone else was pushing and trying to get into tourist ports and going on overpriced "expeditions". We read, napped, took in some activities, ate great food and had a wonderful time.

If you watch a couple of the online cruise consolidators, you can get cruises for 80% off list price all the time. pm me if you want a recommendation. Now husband does not want to go because he is retired and too busy with all his enjoyable retirement volunteer activities but when we did cruise it was lovely and so easy.

Chicken lady
3-28-17, 9:48am
I think my father married the mother he wanted instead of the mother he had. I hope to god my dh did the same!

CathyA
3-28-17, 10:04am
UA........I don't know. I think you have to be very careful of the type of cruise and the types of people who are drawn to them. If you pick the wrong kind, you might want to jump overboard!
I think a cruise that is sort of low-keyed, but shows you beautiful things in nature might be better than one like "The Love Boat". And you might meet more similar people with yourself.........or very rich people??
I would never consider most cruises, but one in Alaska might be tempting.

Float On
3-28-17, 11:13am
My husband wants us to do one of the Windjammer cruises http://www.sailmainecoast.com/get-to-know-us/welcome-aboard?gclid=Cj0KEQjwk-jGBRCbxoPLld_bp-IBEiQAgJaftfKSyslDJR4za8K-hgbhU7tWSD8b1TQ6b1ed3QOhlywaAl0N8P8HAQ . I'm not so sure. Tiny quarters with only cold water in most of them and sailing stresses me out. A boyfriend took me once in a small sailboat and we had a hard time getting out to open water and actually hit another boat! I think I could pick and choose and enjoy a large cruise but I'd probably have to go alone or with a few girlfriends, DH has no interest at all. But my idea of getting away is renting a cabin or casita alone and creating my own agenda. Cruise ships keep a tight schedule and I think the unloading/loading and time requirements at each port would bug me. I think it's hard to really "experience" the port/island/culture because those communities tend to come alive when the ship nears....they want your money.

CathyA
3-28-17, 11:17am
How about a dude ranch out west?

Simplemind
3-28-17, 11:22am
Not all cruises are created equal. Each cruise line draws a certain kind of person and the time of year you go will determine a lot as far as age group. Many want a tropical experience and others mention Alaska. I'm not a fan of the mega ships. I don't need water slides or a mini golf course. I'm going to chill an relax. River cruises are a different animal entirely.
We have been on several, all different. When my son was younger we did two down each coastline of Mexico. It was spring break and there were other families with kids. We enjoyed sitting with the other families we met (at dinner) and the kids entertained each other. First time we did things off the boat. The second time we didn't. In port everybody gets off and you have the place to yourself. I will say that it always surprises me how many places there are (other than your room) to be by yourself if you choose. We always bring cards and games and can find little nooks and crannies to play on inside and outside upper decks. We have never been approached by people trying to talk to us. Our last cruise was very different from any we had taken before. We had a table for two each night, no conversation with any one if we didn't want it. We never cared what anybody did for a living but it was always fun to find out where people were from.
They are very relaxing. I always sleep like the dead. There is a level of luxury that you will never find elsewhere for the money you are spending. I have found a deal on each one and have not paid more than $100 per person/per day. You do as much or as little as you want. Be around people or engage in a solitary pursuit. Our last was the Pacific coast from Vancouver BC to San Diego. It was our first time trying one since DH had his stroke five years ago. I found such a deal we couldn't say no. I think it was $60 per person/per day. Unfortunately it whipped up his vertigo between ports. It was last fall, perfect weather in each port and had fun in each one. No kids because they were all in school. The food was amazing. I could give a list of pros and cons because there are both. It all depends on what you want.

Tybee
3-28-17, 12:55pm
this would have been perfect for you but it sailed March 16. Maybe they will have another one like it?

https://www.meetup.com/critical/events/229478357/

Teacher Terry
3-28-17, 1:44pm
We really love cruising. We have been on 4 in the past 2 years. WE like to eat with people but they do have tables for 2 if people prefer to be alone. There are a ton of activities to do and you can do them or not. For instance my DH has sung in the choir, took an acting class, etc. Lots of time for privacy if you prefer and pools, hot tubs, etc are so nice. I don;t understand why people don't get off at the ports because it would seem to me that sightseeing or taking a tour would be one of the reasons for going. We have met lots of great people. CL: if I was your Mom I would have pushed your DAd overboard:~). The night entertainment is always fabulous and so much to choose from. We always take RC. We took Princess once and it was not a good experience. I would research the age groups that tend to take cruises with certain lines. I have heard many times that Carnival is a bunch of very drunk young people so we avoid them. We have been to Alaska, the Caribbean twice and in Sept are going to Boston through New England and then to Canada. River cruises cost about 3x's as much as regular cruises so we don't take them. We would rather go more often.

Ultralight
3-28-17, 3:10pm
They say everyone marries their mother... I'd rather stay single and lonely.

iris lilies
3-29-17, 12:46pm
I married my father. DH married his mother. We are A-ok with that.

iris lilies
3-29-17, 12:47pm
My husband wants us to do one of the Windjammer cruises http://www.sailmainecoast.com/get-to-know-us/welcome-aboard?gclid=Cj0KEQjwk-jGBRCbxoPLld_bp-IBEiQAgJaftfKSyslDJR4za8K-hgbhU7tWSD8b1TQ6b1ed3QOhlywaAl0N8P8HAQ . I'm not so sure. Tiny quarters with only cold water in most of them and sailing stresses me out. A boyfriend took me once in a small sailboat and we had a hard time getting out to open water and actually hit another boat! I think I could pick and choose and enjoy a large cruise but I'd probably have to go alone or with a few girlfriends, DH has no interest at all. But my idea of getting away is renting a cabin or casita alone and creating my own agenda. Cruise ships keep a tight schedule and I think the unloading/loading and time requirements at each port would bug me. I think it's hard to really "experience" the port/island/culture because those communities tend to come alive when the ship nears....they want your money.dont do it.

we have sets of friends who did that "small sail boat where you are the captain" trip once and are now not speaking to each other, that was a decade ago.

jp1
4-3-17, 10:45pm
My sister and her wife did a cruise up to alaska and loved it. It's such a big state this seems like a good way to see some of the cool bits like the kenai fjords national park.

We have friends that love to do gay cruises. (not that i expect this to be UA's style...) It sounds dreadful to me. Like one long circuit party. These friends spend months planning the outfits they'll wear to the various nightly parties. (and since these friends are both former navy (that's how they met all those years ago) and that's inevitably one of the party themes they are excited to bring their old uniforms.) Another couple of friends are going with them on a cruise this summer. We were at a housewarming party recently along with both couples and when one of the cruising couple started a discussion with one of the non cruisers about planning outfits for the parties the non-cruiser friend had pretty much the same (dreading it) reaction I would've if I were the one going on this cruise with them. It'll be interesting to hear how the non-cruisers liked it...

Ultralight
4-4-17, 6:40am
My sister and her wife did a cruise up to alaska and loved it. It's such a big state this seems like a good way to see some of the cool bits like the kenai fjords national park.

We have friends that love to do gay cruises. (not that i expect this to be UA's style...) It sounds dreadful to me. Like one long circuit party. These friends spend months planning the outfits they'll wear to the various nightly parties. (and since these friends are both former navy (that's how they met all those years ago) and that's inevitably one of the party themes they are excited to bring their old uniforms.) Another couple of friends are going with them on a cruise this summer. We were at a housewarming party recently along with both couples and when one of the cruising couple started a discussion with one of the non cruisers about planning outfits for the parties the non-cruiser friend had pretty much the same (dreading it) reaction I would've if I were the one going on this cruise with them. It'll be interesting to hear how the non-cruisers liked it... When you were in your 20s did cruising mean something else? ;)

Zoe Girl
4-4-17, 9:32am
My dad wanted to go to camp as an adult, It was a beer making camp. I am not sure what happened but he didn't end up going to summer camp after all. I wonder if there are cruises for people who love to read since that is a big positive interest for you.

Float On
4-4-17, 10:16am
dont do it.

we have sets of friends who did that "small sail boat where you are the captain" trip once and are now not speaking to each other, that was a decade ago.

Yes, I finally had the serious talk with DH and said "sorry...you can go on a windjammer alone and I'll go on a bigger cruise". We settled that a smaller cruise boat would ok that take river passages but not the giant ones.

sweetana3
4-4-17, 10:59am
And if you want a kind of cruise on land experience, check out the John C. Campbell Folk Art School in NC. You park your car and dont have to get in it again for a week. Meals are provided where everyone gets together family style, several types of housing, and wonderful classes to fill the day. We are going back for a week of Shaker Cooking in November. www.folkschool.com I think we have gone about 5 times.

roadscholar.org has some wonderful classes around the country and world. A great one we took was a week of BBQ cooking taught by a BBQ competitor and judge in SC. Again, park the car and all is provided plus education and meeting some great people from all over.

early morning
4-4-17, 8:19pm
I've done the Vancouver to Alaska twice and loved it - I'd go again if I had the opportunity. Most cruises are very flexible, food-wise. If you don't want to eat in the formal dining room, there are generally several casual dining areas. Neither of the trips we did - both with major lines- had assigned tables or dining times unless you preferred that option, which was available in a smaller formal dining room. No enforced togetherness - the guests quickly sorted out both chat areas and what I called "leave me the eff alone" areas. It was a great way to see beautiful country and wildlife (Whales! Moose! Seals! Bear!) and some really nice port cities that really aren't very accessible by car. And not having to drive, or plan meals, or do anything other than be at our assigned spot for tour pickup, was soooo nice! Once we did the train trip up to Denali after the cruise, and that was lovely too.

Tenngal
4-5-17, 10:55am
my advice is to do a 3-5 day cruise. I did a 7 day with stops in Jamaica, Cozumel, etc. and got a little bored. The Alaska cruise is so interesting and I would love to do it.

Teacher Terry
4-5-17, 12:54pm
We never go for less then a week because there is so much to do on a cruise. The longest we took was 2 weeks and that was awesome. If you get bored on a big ship you are not looking at your daily cruise letter that has so many things to do that it is not possible to do them all. We have been taking 2 cruises/year the past few years.

iris lilies
4-5-17, 1:19pm
We never go for less then a week because there is so much to do on a cruise. The longest we took was 2 weeks and that was awesome. If you get bored on a big ship you are not looking at your daily cruise letter that has so many things to do that it is not possible to do them all. We have been taking 2 cruises/year the past few years.
It is pretty likely I WOULD be bored on a big boat, that is why I don't cruise. Any activity or entertainment seems to be antiseptic or not my thing.

Big boat, warm waters, open sea for days, Caribbean countries = not very interesting to me.

I would be more likely to take one of the European river cruises.

Teacher Terry
4-5-17, 1:30pm
Besides the Caribbean we have taken one to Alaska and in the fall will see New England and Canada. The river cruises cost about 3x's the price of a big ship and don't have enough things to do. BTW the entertainment is fabulous on these cruises. In addition to the big show each night there are many lounges that offer very different types of entertainers so if you don't like one you just move on to the next. We don't cruise when we go to Europe because I want to be immersed in the local culture, food, etc. I figure that when I am going all that way I don't want to be on a ship.

iris lilies
4-5-17, 2:24pm
Urm, see, I don't like traditional "shows" and if there is singing and dancing, count me out. I could probably enjoy a variety of stand up comedians, however. Truthfully I don't know much about on ship entertainment so maybe I am wrong, I picture a lot of it being lounge singers, and singalongs by senior citizen audience members dressed in sparkly tops. Not my thing.

The river cruises provide stop offs in great old European cities, so that is what attracts me as entertainment.

i was on a big ship as a teenager crossing from Southampton to NYC and that was all the big ship stuff I want to do.

But in the end, I would just rather get a hotel room and use my own two feet and trains to get around a city.

catherine
4-5-17, 4:27pm
I never had any interest in a cruise for most of my life, mainly because of ILs description of it. Then a bunch of our friends started touting the wonders of cruises, including cheap entertainment and tons of food. For my part, I liked the part about no one being able to reach me (that's probably changed by now).

So, I'm open to it. But I would prefer the Viking River Cruises, which are a LOT more expensive than the Cruises for the Masses.

iris lilies
4-5-17, 11:52pm
Food all the time seems kind of yuck on a cruise, a sure way to gain ten lbs.

our friends who travel a LOT went on one of the Rhine River cruises, one that was supposed to have exemplarary food. She said it wasn't that great, it was probably "great" for people who don't know food very well. She isn't a snob, she is just a very good cook, well traveled, and she hangs out with a lot of friends who are good cooks.

Teacher Terry
4-6-17, 3:23pm
The food on Royal Caribbean is excellent in the formal dining room. It is good in the buffet. WE never gain any weight but we not only keep up our regular exercise routine but we usually do extra so we can eat a little more. We always meet some great people to hang out with. People either love it or hate it. WE took Princess once and never again. The food and service was not nearly as good.