PDA

View Full Version : Reduced carbs work for you?

HappyHiker
5-1-11, 11:03am
Not to open a can of worms, as I know we all have our food/nutrition opinions, but I just read Gary Taubes' Good Calories Bad Calories and am trying an experiment in lowering my carb consumption. More South Beach than strict Atkins.

My goal is to slowly reduce the 20 pounds I've gained since college and have more wellness, lower blood pressure.

Though I think I ate a healthy diet before--lots of veggies/fruits, little red meat/animal protein, low fat (mostly from olive oil), I realize I was often eating a lot of carbs--oatmeal/bran flakes with fruit for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and dinner with rice/potatoes or pasta...

Eating more protein, animal-style, is new for me, so this is an experiment. This morning I had a veggie omelet with 1.5 eggs, two strips of bacon, coffee. Lunch will be a turkey burger (no bread, just turkey) and green salad. Dinner is going to be Thai Gang Penang Beef, home-made, maybe with a bit of white rice.

And I'm going to eliminate beer from my habits, I usually drink 2-3 a week. My weakness is a sweet tooth, so will be avoiding candy, chocolate variety. Never eat doughnuts or sweet baked things.

Basically, I'm in good health, ride my bike daily, go the gym 3x week, but do have occasional high blood pressure, which I monitor. No meds. All other markers are good, including a HDL of 63 and good triglycerides.

Anyone else eat a reduced carb diet and have lost or maintained your weight and health? Love to hear your comments/views.

Thanks! Happy Hiker on a Quest...

freein05
5-1-11, 11:33am
I reduced my carbs because of my diabetes. I did lose weight on the low carb diet and have been able to maintain it. I test my blood sugar every morning. We were snow birds for one month this year and eat out a lot. I eat a lot at a place that had great baked potatoes. My blood sugar levels went up by 35 points and when I got back home I had gained 5 lbs. At home I went back to my low carb diet and my blood sugars dropped by over 35 points and I lost 6 lbs.

kib
5-1-11, 11:36am
Well, I think you already know my answer, as this is a personal soapbox of mine: Definitely! 1/1/2010 I weighed in at 135 pounds. I'm 5'1" so that was riding the line between "normal" and "overweight", and to me it definitely felt like too much flab. I eliminated almost all processed carbs and concentrated sugars and firmly limited what we tend to think of as healthy carbs - fruits, grains, beans, corn, rice. Guessing my carb intake is about 50 grams a day. Eating as much of everything else - including fats - that I wanted, my weight dropped to 107 by the end of August.

It was super-easy to stick with this weight for the next six months while my DH was away. Since his return it's been a bit tougher as he's a carb-lover and there are a lot of processed carbs in the house again. So I've put back about 4 pounds in the last three months but seem to be holding steady, I'm fine with this.

I have to say, processed carbs and sugars are not only tempting occasionally, they're EASY. That's the hardest part sometimes. You can make a pot of rice or a loaf of bread and eat on it for days, but fresh veggies, especially leafy ones, require effort all the time. I've given myself a break with it and do buy bagged salad, cut carrots and so on - not strictly necessary or frugal, but if it's "grab some potato chips" vs. "grab some celery sticks" I'll take the celery, but if it's "grab some potato chips" vs. "pick spinach, pick garlic, wash spinach, peel and chop garlic, heat pan, saute in butter, transfer to bowl, wash pan, wash bowl", those chips just start to look too much like a bargain. :~)

This is just my experience, but I seriously can eat anything I want, as long as it's not carb. My advice from my own experience is to keep things you like around for the times you get hungry. It's OK to snack on full fat cheese, or olives, or smoked salmon or almonds, and it will fill you up. Sodium is another issue, but ... one thing at a time. For now, I'd just say we've had 50 years of brainwashing in the evils of fat, but it's really not like that at all.

Madsen
5-1-11, 11:43am
Awesome job!

I think in the coming years we'll start to realize how wrong we were with the whole 'fat makes you fat' thing ...

as people reduce their consumption of grains they'll see weight benefits but also many other health benefits.

HappyHiker
5-1-11, 11:46am
Thank you all for your replies. Nothing beats the voice of experience! So I'll continue down this new road I'm on...it doesn't seem too difficult as I love veggies and healthy protein--and Kib, you're right--carbs are easy--most all the 'snack' foods are carb-rich and nutrition poor, easy to avoid them, with their high fructose corn syrup and white flour...

Interesting how my breakfast, only a 1.5 egg veggie omelet and two strips of bacon, is sticking with me...I think carbs, such as toast, spike your blood sugar and make you hungrier in a shorter period of time...

kib
5-1-11, 12:00pm
ETA: one other tip: I was torn between knowing I should eat a breakfast with protein and just, forgive me, being too lazy to want to cook up eggs and bacon or some other complicated protein rich breakfast every morning. My solution is to create what I call "protein coffee" - a scoop of low carb whey powder in my coffee that's got about 20 grams of protein in it. Not exactly a gourmet beverage and less natural than I'd like, but on the days I just don't feel like cooking, it definitely works on my body in a more useful way than just skipping breakfast. Today we're going to brunch so I didn't put the scoop in, and damn, I'm Hungry!

ETA: I just read your last post, and I agree with the "spiking" theory. After more than a year of eating protein rich snacks, I could really see a difference when I snacked on carbs - I just couldn't seem to fill up. Typically I'd keep nibbling, but even if I felt full for a little while, an hour later I'd be feeling just the same desire to eat again.

freein05
5-1-11, 1:20pm
As a person who test his blood sugar I can say bread does not only spike my blood sugar but in my case it stays around for a long time.

Edited to add: Here is a link to a Full time RV guy. You may find his low carb diet interesting.

http://www.tosimplify.net/2011/04/grass-fed-beef-paleo-diet-faq.html

fidgiegirl
5-1-11, 1:35pm
On the advice of my doc, when I asked why none of my weight loss efforts were working out, I have been experimenting with trying to avoid carbs for only one short week, and not making a huge deal out of it, just seeing if I could substitute a fruit or veggies. Made smoothies on two mornings instead of cereal. I lost three pounds . . . yippee! I had not been a real believer of the low carb movement and was an adherent to the "calories are calories" viewpoint, but now I'm starting to wonder if there is something more to it. My doc also recommended The Mediterranean Diet (http://oldwayspt.org/mediterraneandiet), so I checked that out and am working to include more of those foods. I printed out their pyramid graphic and put it on the fridge. It helps me when I am standing in front of the fridge or cupboard thinking "duh, no carbs, but what instead?"

leslieann
5-1-11, 2:06pm
Don't forget that those fruits calories come from carbohydrate...

loosechickens
5-1-11, 2:14pm
I avoid most simple carbs, but am actually a fan of complex carbs, in moderation. When you look at cultures with very little obesity, and mostly slim people, their diets are far heavier in complex carbs than we would think appropriate, yet much, much lower in protein and fat, especially animal protein and dairy fats.

I guess if you eat the standard American diet, heavy on meats and fats, adding in the carbs pushes it over the edge, but peasants have been eating lentils and rice, beans and tortillas, etc., for many hundreds of years without obesity.

Suppose what's best is just to find what works for you, and what your body likes and is healthy eating, and do that. For myself, I just don't want all that animal protein and/or dairy, so kind of stick to the "peasant diet" together with lots of veggies and fruit.

We DO eat some meat, but far more as "condiment" than as a hunk of meat sitting there on a plate, and have reduced dairy to far less than average use in this country, and that mostly as plain, nonfat yogurt, and some cheese, with small amounts of butter.

I really DO pretty much eliminate sugar, white flour, etc., and minimize corn, white potatoes, etc. And only minimal amounts of added fats, and those only stuff like olive oil, with the occasional use of butter. At this point, I buy a pound of organic butter maybe every couple of months and store all but a small piece in the freezer until needed, but once in awhile I DO just like real butter on something.

ApatheticNoMore
5-1-11, 3:41pm
I avoid most simple carbs, but am actually a fan of complex carbs, in moderation. When you look at cultures with very little obesity, and mostly slim people, their diets are far heavier in complex carbs than we would think appropriate, yet much, much lower in protein and fat, especially animal protein and dairy fats.

Yes but Walter Willet makes the interesting point that carbs may act very differently on lean active people than on couch potatoes (I'll sum up that book: "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" sometime, it's not low-carb and very middle of the road but it makes some interesting points, like the link of dairy with ovarian cancer etc. - why he thinks dairy is best consumed in moderation).

I guess if you eat the standard American diet, heavy on meats and fats, adding in the carbs pushes it over the edge, but peasants have been eating lentils and rice, beans and tortillas, etc., for many hundreds of years without obesity.

And again peasants have gotten lots of exercise.

Suppose what's best is just to find what works for you, and what your body likes and is healthy eating, and do that.

That's what I actually do. I try very hard to avoid fake food (anything with ingredients I wouldn't have in my kitchen), which pretty much means most processed food. On that point I am religious and it does mean I eat differently than most people! But other than that I play by ear. Rice, even brown rice - can cause run away crazy hunger so have avoided for awhile (I could retest though and that may have changed!). Bananas - don't do that, even though they are carby right? Cheese and other dairy - nasal congestion and digestive symptoms. Yogurt in moderation - doesn't seem to cause as many problems.

I'm actually careful to see how I react to carbs but it's not low carb. So this is how I ate yesterday: two medium bananas, large handful of sunflower seeds, small amount of full fat yogurt with walnuts and raspberries (dairy is probably not ideal but ..), salmon drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with fresh dill, chard cooked in olive oil and vinegar. I'm not sure that's following ANY diet. I'd prefer to weigh between 105-115 pounds (at 5'4), my body set point would prefer to weigh 120-125. Sigh :D. Though I think I'm slowly losing weight being unemployed. The unemployment diet, since most of my stress was work related, with no work ....... no stress eating. Alas, the unemployment diet is not an eating plan I can stay on for life!

Zoebird
5-1-11, 3:51pm
We are primal/paleo (http://marksdailyapple.com).

We went grain/legume free in November. Both of us were already fit, but the results were amazing anyway. I dropped from 22% body fat to 19% (no other changes); DH was having skin problems for years, and those cleared up in about 3 weeks; and overall our health and energy improved by *a lot*.

The reason that we did it, though, was because of DH's health problems combined with my insatiable hunger. I was vegetarian for 10 years, and DH followed the Weston A Price Foundation. When we moved here, I was literally just eating grains and veggies because I had no time to cook. It was uncomfortable, and I was hungry and tired all the time. DH's skin and health problems got worse, and he was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity.

So, I was doing some research and stumbled upon paleo. It made sense to me, and it seemed like a clean and easy way to eat. It turned out to be slightly less expensive than the way we were eating already, and it would be easier to prepare meals and have them together.

And so I did that.

It's been great so far. It's flavorful, healthy, clean food. It's very easy to do. Here are our days:

Eggs and steamed veggies for breakfast;

leftovers from dinner for lunch (typically, DH eats 3 meals a day and I eat two, following my natural inclinations; DS eats whenever he is hungry);

Meat plus veggies for dinner (last night we had fish and brussels sprouts).

Our favorite dessert, which we usually have once a day with lunch (wherein I am having breakfast usually) is frozen berries plus coconut cream plus a bit of super-dark chocolate chopped up.

DH and DS also consume raw dairy; I will use butter but no other dairy.

About 1-3 times per quarter, we'll go out for lunch/dinner as a "treat" or "event" -- and we'll have pizza, indian, or thai. So, well eat the breads/rice/noodles then. :)

It's been really great for us. :D

HappyHiker
5-1-11, 7:00pm
Thanks Zoebird, that's interesting! Basically, I'm searching for a delicious way of eating that will help me be slender-ish and healthy. Who wants to suffer from hunger pangs and deprivation, right? That's a way of eating that's doomed to failure.

So far so good. Made our first Thai dish tonight--Thai Gang Penang Beef and it was pretty good. Used Light Coconut Milk--next time I'll go with the regular variety. But spices were good, used lime zest instead of Keffir Lime leaves which I cannot find locally. Did not serve over rice, but did add in some fresh green beans.

My husband's on board with our switch in eating to lower carb, he, too, wants to lose some weight...and since he loves Thai food, he's enjoying our new regime.

JaneV2.0
5-1-11, 8:35pm
As years go by, I've learned to listen to my body--just as I came lately to going with my instincts when making decisions. I really am a slow learner. My body thrives on controlled-carb eating--my hair, nails, teeth, joints, mood, and energy levels all perk right up when I get into the groove, which for me is (consulting FitDay) about 65% fat, 20% protein, and 15% carbohydrate. Natural fats and meat are not now, and never have been poisonous, but as they say "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes truth."

There's a wealth of Googleable information out there on primal, paleo, and general LC, as well as blogs by Gary Taubes, Tom Naughton, the Drs. Eades, and too many more to mention.

One of my very favorite LC videos is My Big Fat Diet from the CBC: http://www.mybigfatdiet.net/
It tells what happens when a Canadian First Nations community embraces an Atkinsesque diet. It's real feel-good fare.

kib
5-2-11, 10:52am
It can be hard getting used to a plate that looks so different, sometimes - where's the filler, the big white side dish? One simple thing I've come up with when I might have served a dish over rice or pasta in the past is to serve it over chopped or shredded (like, coleslaw size) cabbage instead (lightly steamed in the microwave, or raw). A personal taste, of course, but it's simple and easy and inexpensive - or you can even buy the cabbage already shredded for a Really quick option. I know people who like to do the same thing with spaghetti squash, which I also like; takes a bit longer to prepare though. Cauliflower mashed "potatoes" are another tasty choice for a low-carb side dish that resembles the white-food side dishes we're used to.

Fat Head finally came out on Netflix instant view. He's also got a decent lecture series you can google for on youtube, "Big Fat Fiasco".

Rosemary
5-2-11, 11:30am
We had tortilla-less tacos the other night for dinner. I seasoned leftover turkey (poached for making soup) and chopped up various raw vegetables. We ate them on Romaine leaves with some salsa. For a little extra flavor, we sprinkled them with chopped pepitas. Everyone really enjoyed this dinner.

JaneV2.0
5-2-11, 12:26pm
You can wrap burgers of all kinds in lettuce, and I love Asian-inspired ground chicken lettuce wraps with garlic, ginger, cilantro, and dipping sauce. Messy but very, very good. I like to process raw cauliflower until it's the consistency of sawdust, then cook it with different spices and vegetables as you would rice. You can also substitute steamed cauliflorets for potatoes to make fauxtato salad. Coconut flour and/or nut meals and flax seed can be used for breading or baking. The only down side of LC eating for me is that it's labor intensive and requires planning. Oh, for a kitchen staff.

Rogar
5-2-11, 1:49pm
I checked out the book, "4-hour body" over the winter and went on their recommended diet of no carbs. In my book it seemed pretty extreme. No rice of any sort, no fruits, no pastas, and I think no oatmeal, etc. I did it for a couple of weeks and lost a few pounds. I actually did not feel well after two weeks. Low energy and digestive issues. I ate large amounts of black beans and lentils and maybe two times my normal meat consumption. I won't try it again. My personal conclusion is to try to balance carbs and protein and have less refined carbs, like whole wheat pastas, brown rice, and oatmeal. I acually don't think the extreme no carb diets are healthy, but I suppose there is some evidence out there to say otherwise.

Zoebird
5-2-11, 5:15pm
typically, when your body is moving from burning sugars (from grains/legumes) to fats, you go through a "carb flu" -- sort of like a "detox." Then your body efficiently burns fat and you feel great!

It's also important to understand that paleo/primal is not "low carb." It is simple grain/legume free (for a variety of reasons). Because you are grain/legume free, it is "lower carb" than the SAD, but it is much higher in vegetable intake than the SAD or traditional "low carb" diets.

I actually eat a lot of carbs -- largely in the form of vegetables. I also eat fruit -- perhaps 1-2 pieces/servings per day. But, because vegetables are "low carb" and some fruits as well (eg, citrus and berries tend to be low carb fruit), you eat *a lot* of them and it still isn't that much carbohydrate.

At first, it was a fair bit of planning because we needed to feel satisfied without the "filler" of bread or rice. So, we just ate more vegetables. I would make a vegetable soup to use as a starter (usually with a bone broth) which we could reaheat throughout the week, and then also a salad or steamed vegetables with our meat. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Now, we are in a rhythm; it's very easy for us and requires no planning.
]

JaneV2.0
5-2-11, 6:05pm
And not all fruit is sweet. I eat lots of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and avocados, along with a variety of berries.

And yes, there is evidence to suggest very low carbohydrate diets can be perfectly healthy. Vilhjalmur Stefansson famously experimented on himself after living with the inuit. (And believe me, I would never have been able to spell his name without looking it up.:~)

janharker
5-3-11, 10:28am
What loosechickens said. For me, I'd summarize it this way: Forget this concept of "low carbs" and replace it with "complex carbs." Then minimize saturated fats, not fats in general.

Rosemary
5-3-11, 11:00am
I think that reducing stuff made out of any form of flour has the biggest impact - I don't consider actual whole grains to be the same as stuff made from flour.

JaneV2.0
5-3-11, 11:44am
Saturated fat is a healthy, natural, stable fat. Omega 6 fats, on the other hand, are unnatural and highly processed. Mary Enig and others have written entire books on the subject. http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

I find that I feel much better when I am not eating gluten and sugar.

Rogar
5-3-11, 3:59pm
Well, I didn't have a lot going on yesterday, so I streamed the Fat Head movie, which got me thinking. So then I googled the glycemic index, which is the rate which carbs are broken down into sugars for a given food. It's interesting that many of the fruits fruits, some pastas, and whole grains and things like oatmeal that are generally low on the glycemic index. There are the foods that are high on the index that you would expect, like potatos and white breads. Without getting a degree in it, I would think that eating low on the glycemic index makes more sense than just lumping carbs all together and avoiding them? I don't think it's the same thing.

kib
5-3-11, 4:17pm
Pulled together as my own theory gleaned from a bunch of different sources, this is my understanding:

the problem is that a big sugar rush in the bloodstream is corrected with a big insulin rush. This is all kinds of bad, especially the damage it does over time. One important thing that happens if these spikes repeat too often is that the body seems to get out of whack: the cells become insulin resistant, so even a small sugar spike can create a huge insulin surge. I'm making these numbers up, but let's say when you were 7, a gram of glucose was managed in the body by a gram of insulin, but at age 47 it takes 5 grams of insulin to do the job, which is really damaging to your body. So the question is, how low do you need to keep it in order to avoid that insulin surge. The lower the glycemic load, the flatter the glucose spike, and the less excess insulin is released, but in insulin resistant people that spike needs to be flat indeed to avoid the insulin surge. So a small child might be able to mainline sugar cubes and be ok, one adult might be able to eat slightly lower GL carbs and be fine, while another might have such a hyperactive response pattern that even a slowly digested carb triggers an unwanted response.

madgeylou
5-3-11, 4:27pm
my understanding is very similar to kib's. i have done well on both eat to live and on atkins, because both of them eliminate starch and sugars (though eat to live can include a lot of fruit and beans). at this point, i'm trying to adhere to a hybrid of the two -- plenty of high quality animal protein and fat, and plenty of veg, just a little bit of fruit and dairy. this lines up pretty well with paleo/primal eating.

i do know that, if i want to lose weight, i have to keep my carb intake quite low. just keeping to moderation (a bit of fruit and yogurt and a tiny bit of whole grains) is enough to keep my weight fairly stable. but if i start eating bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. every day, i invariably gain weight.

sadly, i have noticed that it's gotten worse as i've gotten older -- no doubt the cumulative damage i've done coupled with insulin sensitivity in my genetic makeup. blerg.

HappyHiker
5-3-11, 4:58pm
What a complex area this is when we live in a land of too many food choices!

I just finished The Blue Zones, a fascinating survey of populations in four long-lived and healthy areas of the world. The group studied in the US were the Seven Day Adventists who are long-lived, suffer much lower incidences of cancer/heart disease and live longer than other Americans. Many are vegetarians.

The upshot of the group's research/findings/conclusions is:

--eat a mainly vegetarian diet (especially home-grown), with legumes, add in some nuts daily, use red meat with caution, pork and poultry in small amounts

--eat complex carbs

--drink lots of water (and water with a high mineral/calcium count is the best), avoid soft drinks

--eat little to none processed foods, little sugar

--whole eggs are fine

--have a strong social network/close family connections/live in multi-generational settings

--get lots of exercise, especially walking

--live close to nature

--have a reason to get up in the morning/make contributions to family/community

--get lots of natural sunshine for Vitamin D

--have little stress in your life, be satisfied with what you have

- be an optimist with a strong spiritual grounding

Interesting? Kind of the opposite of many American lives and habits...

JaneV2.0
5-3-11, 8:54pm
I've read a bit about healthy centenarians. There's a strong genetic component, so it makes sense there would be clusters in tight-knit communities. Other factors are a sanguine approach to life--one article described it as "open and conscientious"--and low insulin levels. Recent research (Nir Barzilai and others) shows that high levels of HDL and large, "fluffy" LDL are implicated in long life. You can lower insulin levels, lower triglycerides, and increase HDL and large-particle LDL eating low-carb.

Here's an interesting transcript of a Nova show on the issue:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3401_sciencen.html

puglogic
5-3-11, 11:44pm
The upshot of the group's research/findings/conclusions is:

--eat a mainly vegetarian diet (especially home-grown), with legumes, add in some nuts daily, use red meat with caution, pork and poultry in small amounts

--eat complex carbs

--drink lots of water (and water with a high mineral/calcium count is the best), avoid soft drinks

--eat little to none processed foods, little sugar

--whole eggs are fine

--have a strong social network/close family connections/live in multi-generational settings

--get lots of exercise, especially walking

--live close to nature

--have a reason to get up in the morning/make contributions to family/community

--get lots of natural sunshine for Vitamin D

--have little stress in your life, be satisfied with what you have

- be an optimist with a strong spiritual grounding

Hey that's me!!!! :D Well, I'm getting closer anyway.

I am steadily trying to reduce all but low-glycemic carbs, but I'm finding a stumbling block in my husband's near-vegetarian diet. I'd love to substitute poultry or pork, but, well, he doesn't eat mammals or birds. And so we always come up against this at dinnertime -- what kind of protein to cook? I'm a whiz at legumes, love the tofu/peanut/veggie combinations, try to do fish twice a week....but it always seems like we're getting short-changed on the protein score.

I like your whey-in-coffee thing, klb. Might try that in the morning.

madgeylou
5-4-11, 9:15am
pug, will he eat eggs? lots of fun things to do with those, and they are cheap!

puglogic
5-4-11, 9:43am
Oh, YEAH!! Thanks for that reminder, madgeylou. He eats cheese, eggs, fish. We also have a neverending supply of eggs from our neighbor, who has a flock she raises organically. Quiches, frittata, brinner.....

madgeylou
5-4-11, 9:54am
i love a few big leaves of swiss chard sauteed up, dump in some eggs, serve with a bit of fresh parmesan on top and lots of hot sauce. who needs carbs?

kib
5-4-11, 10:30am
Hey that's me!!!! :D Well, I'm getting closer anyway.

I am steadily trying to reduce all but low-glycemic carbs, but I'm finding a stumbling block in my husband's near-vegetarian diet. I'd love to substitute poultry or pork, but, well, he doesn't eat mammals or birds. And so we always come up against this at dinnertime -- what kind of protein to cook? I'm a whiz at legumes, love the tofu/peanut/veggie combinations, try to do fish twice a week....but it always seems like we're getting short-changed on the protein score.

I like your whey-in-coffee thing, klb. Might try that in the morning.
Be sure to read the label - a lot of the "protein drinks" are loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners. I'm using something called Designer Whey from Trader Joe's that only has 3 grams of carb and is sweetened with stevia, as far as I can tell all the "stink-eye" ingredients are just names of actual vitamins (e.g., mixed tocopherols :0! = vitamin e :cool:).

It says to put it into a cold drink - hopefully I'm not destroying too many good things - and it's helpful to blend it or it can be a bit lumpy. I also put a good dose of half & half in there, for more protein and some fat ... heck, it's almost a real breakfast!

As far as your dinner protein, I agree with Magdeylou, eggs are just awesome for a nearly pure, whole source that's affordable.

ETA: My DH isn't into low carb eating, don't know about yours. One thing that I will make is a fried rice with lots and lots of scrambled egg in it - I save out about 3 eggs worth for myself and he's happy with his pile o' rice (that still has plenty of protein.) http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm only with 6 eggs instead of 2.

JaneV2.0
5-4-11, 1:49pm
I had "fried rice" for breakfast yesterday, subbing finely ground cauliflower for rice. Would DH eat a rice/cauliflower mix, I wonder? At any rate, it was good, with scrambled egg, Chinese-style BBQ pork, bean sprouts, and pea pods.

I use whey protein powder in cold coffee drinks most mornings, made with almond milk or So Delicious coconut milk, and full cream.

janharker
5-4-11, 7:24pm
Eating like you're diabetic is a healthy way to go.

HappyHiker
5-6-11, 4:12pm
Do you like peanut butter? Sick of eggs? Then here's a strange low-carb breakfast for you that's yummy:

1/4 cup flax meal (I use Bobs Red Mill)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T. peanut butter (I use crunchy organic)

-Boil water and stir into flax meal
-Add peanut butter and mix well
-Sprinkle with cinnamon and a bit of sweetener of choice (I use a t. of honey)

Surprisingly good and filling, no need for milk, it's pretty liquid, kind of like Cream of Wheat

ApatheticNoMore
5-6-11, 5:17pm
i love a few big leaves of swiss chard sauteed up, dump in some eggs, serve with a bit of fresh parmesan on top and lots of hot sauce. who needs carbs?

Now that's the kind of meal I'd expect my body to go into full on rebellion over. My body would be like: what do you think you are feeding us? Cheese and boatloads of eggs in the same meal when you know we're not too fond of either ... I mean the least you could do here is exercise a little moderation. And you have the gall to combine it with chard and hot sauce, as if cheese and eggs weren't already stressing our digestion, how indigestible can you get? That's it, your going to pay. One way or other ...

I do love chard though, eat it a lot. I know not everyone has my sensitivities, but like I said I play by ear because my body is a bit picky.

JaneV2.0
5-6-11, 10:50pm
I looked at that and thought "Chard? Hmmm..." My gardening relative assures me cooked greens are tasty, but I've never been impressed. Although now that I think about it, the original recipe is similar to Joe's Special, which I love:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Joes-Special-105866