PDA

View Full Version : Poustinia and Retreat

kib
5-2-11, 11:48am
In another thread, and her blog, Catherine talks about her "Poustinia", which could be defined as a simple private retreat cabin. My heart has been clamoring for retreat lately, and I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been. I'm actually looking for a specific recommendation and you can PM me if you'd like to share specifics about cost, location etc., but I thought I'd also put this thread out there to ask:

Have you ever done a retreat? How long did it last? Did you consider it a success? Was it a guided experience in a "retreat location" or an entirely self-guided solitary withdrawal, basically stepping out of your everyday life in some way? I keep thinking it's what I need, and then asking myself how exactly this will be different from sitting meditating in my home - which is a very quiet and solitary space during the weekdays - other than inconvenient and expensive. :|(

Has anyone actually done what they would consider to be "a retreat" at home? What was that like?

leslieann
5-2-11, 12:54pm
I hope people will respond here and not just PM the OP.....inquiring OTHER minds are interested ....thanks...

Gina
5-2-11, 2:17pm
Has anyone actually done what they would consider to be "a retreat" at home? What was that like?
I didn't consider it a retreat, but years ago when I needed to do some hard thinking and feeling, I schuduled and entire week at home with nothing at all besides the 'me time' planned. And I got a great deal done.

What I liked about it was there was nothing new to get used to. There was no deciding what to pack, nor getting the house and pets ready to leave. I could keep to my comfortable daily rituals, I knew where and how I would sleep and eat and bathe. All I had to do was get up and allow whatever reading/thinking/feeling that flowed. It was very productive for me.

Of course I liked where I was living at the time, and it was relatively peaceful and quiet.

Zoebird
5-2-11, 5:21pm
Before I had the kiddo, I would do retreats at home, most of which centered around simple food, lots of meditation, contemplation, and reading, plus taking long baths and going for long walks.

I have also done retreats elsewhere. I found it inexpensive to rent cabins from state parks in the off-season, usually mid week, for a few days. It was affordable, the accommodations were clean, modern, and simple (you could choose very rustic to modern cabins -- i always chose modern so that I had a working toilet/shower and kitchen).

Also, I had friends and clients who had beach cottages, and they would often let me borrow them in the off or in-between seasons.