PDA

View Full Version : May Rants

JaneV2.0
5-2-11, 1:58pm
At the moment, I have a gang of workers outside my window going at it with industrial strength weed whackers and blowers to obliterate a few inches of grass on the verge of the road.They've been at it an hour. The city, unaccountably, sends sweepers around all the time--you can hear them for blocks--to blast away at perfectly clean streets. Apparently, our little hamlet is awash in extra revenue for this kind of thing...Sometimes I fantasize about buying a high-rise condo with soundproof windows.

Lower frequency noise has a nasty physiological effect on me, especially at high levels. I can literally feel it in my heart. I hate to think what it does to people who work around it all day.

redfox
5-2-11, 2:30pm
Rain. More rain. Then more rain... <sigh> 3 months of November and 3 more of March is just too darn much, even for Seattle...

fidgiegirl
5-5-11, 9:17am
It is 5 de mayo. I'm a Spanish teacher. I am going to
have to hear about 5 de mayo all day. It's already making me crabby. That sounds so mean, but it is.

catherine
5-5-11, 10:00am
My BIL is 48...lived with his mother his whole life... she passed away last summer and we thought this would be his ticket to freedom--but no, now his excuse is he can't leave his DOG! We were invited to visit some relatives of his/DH for their 65th wedding anniversary--it will probably be his LAST chance to see them alive, and his first reaction was "OH, I DEFINITELY have to go--after all they've done for me!"

He just stopped by to say he reconsidered and he's not going--he says it's finances, but I think it's that and he doesn't want to leave the DOG--even though we said one of our kids would come for the weekend and watch both his dog and our dog.

I'm just ranting because I feel bad that he's just sitting on the sidelines of life--he's been talking his whole life about moving to San Diego, but every time his friend from out there calls him, he has an excuse to postpone even just a short vist... but, it's his life, I have to let it go.

pinkytoe
5-5-11, 10:10am
I don't like the continual Hallmark holidays. Even Mother's Day turns into a tug-of-war of expectations. I want to stay home, dh feels guilty if he doesn't go see his mom 100 miles away on his only day off so I either tag along or stay home. Grrr! He just saw her two weeks ago...

Stella
5-5-11, 12:51pm
So insanely tired today and I will be running from 7AM to 7PM today.

treehugger
5-5-11, 1:21pm
I don't like the continual Hallmark holidays. Even Mother's Day turns into a tug-of-war of expectations. I want to stay home, dh feels guilty if he doesn't go see his mom 100 miles away on his only day off so I either tag along or stay home. Grrr! He just saw her two weeks ago...

Agree with you about the Hallmark holidays. They just seem to make me feel resentful, and then I feel guilty. I "celebrate" them minimally with my own family because they feel so fake for our relationships, but that still leaves DH's mom and grandma (who is in an Alzheimer's care facility). Yay, we get to go eat institutional food and sit for hours in a depressing room on my one day off this week.

My rant: the stress of not being able to make ends meet on a regular basis is sapping me of my physical and emotional strength.

Kara

Kat
5-5-11, 2:50pm
It's 40 degrees? In May? Really?!

Kestra
5-5-11, 6:49pm
I don't usually rant against my husband, but it's about job hunting more so than him. We were both in school and have to get summer jobs. Well, I *have* to get one to continue onto next year and graduate. He should get one, but it doesn't affect his returning next year or graduating. I apply for at least 20 places as advertised through the school (probably about 40 positions since some hire several people), send out about 40 unsolicited applications, have 4 interviews, nobody calls my references once (who would rave about my excellent work performance) and still have no job. He applied for 3 positions, got 2 interviews, and got a job after his first interview. I'm glad he's got a job and I do have a part time place that pays well. But it's just so frustrating, especially since the last 8 months and loss of income and tuition might end up wasted. And we both have A+ averages. My marks are not helping me at all. Ugh.

Jemima
5-6-11, 10:16am
At the moment, I have a gang of workers outside my window going at it with industrial strength weed whackers and blowers to obliterate a few inches of grass on the verge of the road.They've been at it an hour. The city, unaccountably, sends sweepers around all the time--you can hear them for blocks--to blast away at perfectly clean streets. Apparently, our little hamlet is awash in extra revenue for this kind of thing...Sometimes I fantasize about buying a high-rise condo with soundproof windows.

Lower frequency noise has a nasty physiological effect on me, especially at high levels. I can literally feel it in my heart. I hate to think what it does to people who work around it all day.

A friendly warning from a former high-rise dweller: sound carries UP. I used to live by a major highway on the top floor of a mid-rise apartment complex which was located on a cliffside, and people often asked me if I was calling from a car phone. (This was fifteen years ago when car and cell phones were rare.) I felt like I was living *on* the highway at times, but it actually became ignorable white noise after a while because the traffic was so constant. On the other hand, the landscapers inspired me to fantasize about dropping large, heavy objects from the balcony, such as a Cadillac.

At least those landscapers only came once a week or so. Now I live in an over-55 development of individual houses and everybody has their own landscaper who shows up whenever, including weekend mornings. There is also a gadget nut two doors away who buys every piece of new power lawn equipment that comes on the market, despite the fact that our yards are tiny. His favorite is a leaf vacuum which he runs for at least an hour at a time, probably sucking up every leaf, bug, and earthworm on his lot.

I have the same reaction as you do to low frequency noise, especially cars with loud, booming bass music, which I choose as my May rant, since you already picked #1.

Tammy
5-7-11, 1:58am
It is 5 de mayo. I'm a Spanish teacher. I am going to
have to hear about 5 de mayo all day. It's already making me crabby. That sounds so mean, but it is.

next year, you should "decide" that this holiday is so special to you, that you need to take the day off, as others do for Christmas. ;)

SiouzQ.
5-9-11, 9:11am
Could not fall asleep last night, and today we (As The Crow Flys Acoustic duo) we are heading into Detroit for a live internet broadcast performance and interview and I feel and look like total s***.....time to pull my bubbly and energetic acting skills out of my hat...

treehugger
5-9-11, 12:06pm
I just could not sleep last night. Ugh, I feel so yucky this morning because of it. I read somewhere that you lose an IQ point for each hour of sleep lost. This morning, I believe it; my brain feels fuzzy.

Kara

Stella
5-12-11, 10:56am
I'll add a third "could not sleep" rant in a row. Mine was externally induced, though. Two of four kids could not sleep, so neither could I. Must. Have. Coffee.

flowerseverywhere
5-12-11, 11:39am
I am sick of people interrupting. I can't get a sentence out with many people and they are interrupting non stop. Drives me nuts. Impolite but it must be the instant gratification thing instead of waiting a second until you finish. then one of my neighbors called, she couldn't believe that I didn't tell her about a major change in our lives. Well I felt like telling her if you let me finish a sentence once in a while you might learn something.

Tenngal
5-12-11, 6:26pm
my rant is hail, some of which were the size of tennis balls and I have damage to my roof and daughter's car. Low-life owner of the local Allstate office "advised" me to not file a claim on the car 'because your policy will go up". Called the 1-800 Allstate number and was told this is not true because weather damage is not my fault. I will probably continue this rant after meeting with the adjustors for home and auto..........

SoSimple
5-12-11, 7:22pm
Another insurance rant.

With my new job I have new insurance. I'm still on DH's because it's a lot better than mine and my rheumatologist is where DH is (and I was) rather than down here where I am (and DH is not).

Anyway, my biggest medical cost is an $1800/month medication that I take so I can actually get out of bed, walk without a cane or crutches and work. (I take others also, but that's the biggy and the one that actually gave me my life back). Despite having two fully valid health insurance policies (primary and secondary), I will be paying for last month's medication because I did not switch my prescription over from DH's mail-order prescription company to the one approved by my new insurance. And because neither insurance company covers mail order prescriptions ordered anywhere other than their own approved mail order prescription company, neither will pay for my medication last month. Primary won't pay because it's not their mail-order and secondary won't pay because of coordination of benefits rules. How obscure and ridiculous is that?!?

And this is written up nowhere in any documentation that was made available to me that they will not pay if you use a different mail order pharmacy and that my secondary won't pay because of the coordination of benefits thing. Oh, and I *have* to order this medication via mail-order. Absolutely not from a walk-in pharmacy. Only through their approved mail order pharmacy.

Oh, I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our healthcare system.

Plus my copay for my medication has just increased by 400%. Yes, I can afford it, but that extra money has to come from somewhere and we are talking a few thousand dollars I hadn't budgeted for this year, so cutting out that once-a-month meal with DH isn't going to help a whole lot.

I am especially annoyed because I CALLED and asked about all this a month ago and was ASSURED that no, it would be fine, keep your prescriptions where they are, we'll pay and your secondary will pick up the difference, yada, yada. Yep. See, if you're caught out in an untruth (mistaken or deliberate), you can lose your coverage, but if they're caught out in an untruth the only consequences fall on the customer.

bke
5-12-11, 7:51pm
I am so tired of people with good incomes crying about money because they can't discipline themselves enough to put any away for a rainy day. I feel like if I would volunteer to bail them out they would let me over and over and over...

I have a few dollars to my name because I don't purchase every new toy that is created!

bke
5-12-11, 8:39pm
I saw a great bumper sticker: If you want to get on your feet, you have to get off your a**.

setis
5-13-11, 1:26am
Heh Redfox, wanna get rid of the rain? send it to Texas haven't have rain in almost a year here. There are wildfires all around me. Wish I could talk to someone who had connections with the Corps of Engineers. We could put in a pipeline and pump the excess rain to the drought parts of the country.Anyone remember the WPA?

Stella
5-14-11, 9:31am
Still tired. Zach is worried about me. My brain is dropping the ball a lot lately, which is usually rare for me. I was saying a little prayer last night and I accidentally called God Zach. :) I was trying to tell Bella to get her shoes on and I couldn't remember the word shoes. "Bella, put on your...your...your..." Zach is going to let me sleep as late as I want on Monday. I can't wait.

lhamo
5-14-11, 7:04pm
So Simple, I would challenge their refusal of the claim. I find it hard to believe that neither policy has a provision for covering at least part of the cost. Cite the phone conversation and give the date -- though it would have been better to have iit i writing. I learned that the hard way and I always try to avoid dealing with issues like this on the phone, or if absolutely unavoidable I will follow up with an email of "per my conversation with agent xxxx on [date] [repeat what you were told on the phone]." My insurance company has an annoying internal email system that makes it very hard to retrieve messages like this, but at least they are there. Print it out as soon as you send it (another lesson learned -- system wipes out old messages after 2 months).

I can understand if maybe they won't reimburse the entire amount, but you should be able to get something from them. The amount is high enough that making the extra effort to challenge it is probably worth it.

lhamo

fidgiegirl
5-16-11, 11:28pm
Probably won't sleep if I don't rant. Black crap is coming up out of our kitchen sink. It was draining, albeit slowly, before DH went on a plungefest and now . . . nothing. In the kitchen OR bathroom. And we're not supposed to be home tomorrow night. I would rather be home tomorrow night and deal with it.

And our snake won't fit down the drain without disassembling the basket from the sink. DH hates hiring a plumber, but he gets really, REALLY, REALLY frustrated when he does a plumbing job, and it always leaks for weeks afterwards.

I.HATE.PLUMBING.

This makes me want to cry.

redfox
5-17-11, 1:10am
Worth hiring out... put the expense in the mental health column in the budget...

Square Peg
5-17-11, 11:06am
It snowed here yesterday! Just flurries, but still!
The sound on my computer isn't working.

treehugger
5-17-11, 12:07pm
Perimenopause. And yes, that is a complete rant in one word.

fidgiegirl
5-17-11, 12:43pm
Boo to snow! Boo to perimenopause!

Boo to Plumbpocolypse.

DH did not call anyone. I did convince him to take the morning off work and deal with it. Then I didn't feel so well so I decided to call in, too. Well, he dealt with it, but unfortunately when he reassemble the trap he twisted off another pipe which unbeknownst to us was already damaged. Then he proceeded to flush out the clump the had just broken up with tons and tons of water, which he only later realized rained all over in the basement.

So now some plumbers ARE here, our whole basement is topsy turvey, we will be having a huge pipe replaced.

Positives:
1. They came super fast and are able to do it today.
2. The guy is super nice.
3. I get to clean out some crap and give it away as a result of shuffling the whole basement around.
4. I was already home so only one day off work.
5. He went out to another emergency for about an hour or so which means I get to have a shower after all. With that, bye bye!

SiouzQ.
5-17-11, 3:10pm
Today is one of those days where I simply cannot throw off this incredible inertia, no matter how hard I try...I am trying to remember that it is my body and brain chemicals that are responsible for this (un-medicated bi-polar 2) and that I just came off a very busy music/social jag that lasted for two weeks, which included 3 gigs in six days, plus working full-time. If I can just allow myself to be this way without getting majorly depressed until I drag myself out of bed to start my work-week tomorrow , I will be fine...keeping to a schedule usually helps a lot and if I don't keep some sort of schedule it really throws me off and I become a hermit and won't talk to anyone. I have been back to bed two times already today and it is only 3:00...

SiouzQ.
5-17-11, 3:11pm
Plus it is cloudy, cold and rainy, AGAIN! That is certainly not helping matters...

fidgiegirl
5-17-11, 3:50pm
(((SiouzQ)))

Tenngal
5-17-11, 7:20pm
continued rant on hail damage and Allstate. Auto adjustor was here Friday to look at the car, I get a check today which does not cover the amount quoted from body shop for repairs. Body shop owner says "don't sweat it, they (Ins Companies) always do this, give a lowball amount on damages." Funny that Allstate never fails to be on time withdrawing their monthly payment from my checking account and it it always the full amount. Get a call from them early today for an interview on my experience with them. I say well, IF and WHEN my house and car are repaired, I'll think about doing this interview, not before. They hang up, oh well, I'll probably be back on this rant in a few days...........Body shop guy says there is a supplement process for him to go thru to get the REST of the money.............

SoSimple
5-17-11, 8:34pm
So Simple, I would challenge their refusal of the claim. I find it hard to believe that neither policy has a provision for covering at least part of the cost. Cite the phone conversation and give the date -- though it would have been better to have iit i writing. I learned that the hard way and I always try to avoid dealing with issues like this on the phone, or if absolutely unavoidable I will follow up with an email of "per my conversation with agent xxxx on [date] [repeat what you were told on the phone]." My insurance company has an annoying internal email system that makes it very hard to retrieve messages like this, but at least they are there. Print it out as soon as you send it (another lesson learned -- system wipes out old messages after 2 months).

I can understand if maybe they won't reimburse the entire amount, but you should be able to get something from them. The amount is high enough that making the extra effort to challenge it is probably worth it.

lhamo
Thanks lhamo. I will take it up with them once my prescription has gone through their pre-authorization process (which I hope will only take 48 hours so I can take my next shot on time), and once I get the actual bill. I'm hoping that I was misinformed, but somehow, as it's in their favor, I doubt it.

Kat
5-18-11, 9:20am
Yesterday we paid our contractor the last amount that we owed him (which has been accumulating more and more as this project goes on), and we ended up paying much more than double what he originally quoted. I am so confused as to how that happened; I know he fixed the plumbing for us, which wasn't part of his estimate, but that doesn't account for it all. I don't think he factored in enough for the cost of materials or something--I don't know! He didn't write anything down; DH has been taking care of it. I am so annoyed with the whole project (the cost, the duration, ugh!) that I am just staying out of it, but I told DH that next time we are having a signed contract and receipts for everything. I do not think our contractor has taken advanatage of us as he is a friend and has never taken advantage of us in the past (even when he could have). But this fly by the seat of your pants stuff is for the birds and not a good way to run a business. I don't like a) owing people money b) not knowing how much I owe or c) owing people money but not knowing that I do.

Bastelmutti
5-18-11, 10:39am
This exhaustion is getting tiring - haha. And I'm *annoyed* because it's mostly my own fault. NO is a useful word - need to learn how to use it! The 1st quarter is always busy work-wise, which I knew ahead of time. Then I accepted a bunch of extra responsibilities in my volunteering gigs (which, granted, are dear to my heart, so I'm easy to convince) that put me over the edge. Also I agreed to a 7-week work project of a scope that was almost too much to handle - should have whittled that down by about half. In the end, I pulled the rabbit out of the hat. The check is in the mail for the work gig, which will give me some peace of mind for the summer, and I got good feedback from the volunteering events. I have two small jobs left to do today, an article to write (at least I like the topic) and one event to work on Sat. and then I am free to take a real break. It will take a lot of work to get back to feeling normal, rested, and relaxed, though, after this relentless onslaught of work and activities. I used to do this stuff standing on my head, but now that I'm - gulp - getting older, I feel it's affecting my health. Need to take some time this summer to think through my commitments for the next school year.

Merski
5-20-11, 6:46am
Just need to rant to blow off steam! Just found out a friend wants to buy a gas guzzling SUV! This woman literally threw a hissy fit several years ago when more affluent friends purchased one. I can't even talk with her about it because she's defensive about it. She's also showing greediness because it is such a good deal. Thanks! I feel better.

AmeliaJane
5-20-11, 9:22am
1. I have a supervisor whose communication style is the opposite of mine in every way. I'm actually proud of the progress I've made in learning how to communicate in ways that work with her, but I still frequently walk away from discussions in emotional turmoil. Had one of those encounters yesterday, and couldn't sleep.
2. So I thought I'd go to a new restaurant in my neighborhood that serves breakfast, to distract myself. But it turns out they changed their hours and didn't update their website.
3. And the library lost a book I returned, so now I have to go down there and straighten it out, and the library has very limited hours.

None is all that big a deal, but boy does it feel good to vent a little. Normally my best friend and I can have a 5 minute gripe session and walk away feeling better, but she is out of town :(

bke
5-20-11, 11:22am
I just found out that my mother is having a MRI done on her hip tomorrow. She has leaions and apparently its causing her a lot of pain. I was thinking arthritis, hip replacement, or that sort of age related thing. Nope. Dad mentioned the BIG C again. She hasn't even had her follow up appointment for the ovarian scare yet!

Its also time for her to have her annual stress test which I am 98% sure she'll fail. We've gone the heart stent route the last 2 summers. Its like a freakin' family tradition any more.

The point of all this is that I am so sick of her not taking care of herself!!!!! She's in her early 60's has more income than I ever will, all the freedom in the world and doesn't have enough to live for that she's willing to work a little harder to stay healthy.

Thanks for letting me say that. Nothing I say to her makes any difference anymore.

treehugger
5-20-11, 11:37am
bke, that all sounds really rough to deal with. It's one of the most frustrating things about being a human. Watching those we love hurt themselves and being powerless to help. :(

Hugs,
Kara

iris lily
5-22-11, 8:03pm
So call me a bad dog mom, I don't care. I am tired of cleaning up after dogs and I refuse to wash their bowls after each time they eat 2X daily. I mean, really--some dried food is gonna hurt them when they eat their own poo, the poo of others, and lap up any vomited material? Please.

iris lily
5-23-11, 10:01am
To the social workers at hospice in another state: WTF. Why do you keep calling me? Do you really think that calling and leaving a message during the day when I am at work is any kid of effective grief counseling? And when I call you back you are GONE for the day? If I really needed your help how in the h*ll would I get it?

Isn't it ungrateful of me to complain about this? I suppose a shrink would call this transference, I am transferring my pain and hurt from my mother's death to the social workers. But cha know what? I have minimal pain and hurt, I just want these nuisance calls to stop. Ok call me cynical but I think they are trolling for monetary donations.

Juds
5-23-11, 12:01pm
Not ungrateful, cynical or transferring. Just saying :).

fidgiegirl
5-23-11, 6:46pm
Isn't it ungrateful of me to complain about this?

Dude, that's exactly what the rant thread is for. I feel this is the place to blow off any kind of steam one wants, even if one would be judged in other settings for doing so. So steam away, Iris lily.

(BTW, my dog's bowl gets washed maaaaaaaybe every two months. He's still alive :D)

Tenngal
5-25-11, 6:15pm
70+ yr old co-workers who have no intention of pulling their weight and no plans to retire........live by the idea if they never learn anything new, they never have to do anything more.....

Jemima
5-26-11, 12:31pm
70+ yr old co-workers who have no intention of pulling their weight and no plans to retire........live by the idea if they never learn anything new, they never have to do anything more.....

Wow, I didn't know my project manager moonlighted in Tennessee. (He claims to be 61, but he could easily pass for 70+, and retired-in-place.)

Greg44
5-26-11, 12:39pm
I am not sure why this bugs me -- but people who insist on backing into every parking place -- like they are preparing to rob a bank and need to make a quick getta way!

pinkytoe
5-26-11, 1:02pm
the never ending bathroom remodeling job- going on six weeks now and just was able to use the tub for the first time a few days ago. This morning the workers showed up at 7:30a while I was still in my jammies so running around looking for a clothes to put on before they descended. And then every night when I get home and they are STILL there and say "what's cooking? sure smells good" Feels like we have taken on a new family. I am going c-r-a-z-y and will never do this again....

Jemima
5-26-11, 1:10pm
To the social workers at hospice in another state: WTF. Why do you keep calling me? Do you really think that calling and leaving a message during the day when I am at work is any kid of effective grief counseling? And when I call you back you are GONE for the day? If I really needed your help how in the h*ll would I get it?

Isn't it ungrateful of me to complain about this? I suppose a shrink would call this transference, I am transferring my pain and hurt from my mother's death to the social workers. But cha know what? I have minimal pain and hurt, I just want these nuisance calls to stop. Ok call me cynical but I think they are trolling for monetary donations.

It isn't you, it's them. They're called case managers and I think they have to make a certain number of calls in a certain period of time to fulfill some quota that doesn't have anything to do with being helpful. If you're able to leave a message on their voicemail, it may help to tell them you're fine and to please stop calling. This is our magnificant health care system at work.

treehugger
5-26-11, 1:16pm
Next month I will be training someone to be on my team. We will spend a week together. She works in our Honolulu office and I work in the SF Bay Area. They are bringing her to me instead of me to her. Hello! I need to spend a week training in Hawaii!

Kara

Tradd
5-26-11, 1:57pm
Mine is my coworkers. They are dear ladies, but geez, are they packrats and clutterbugs and hoarders. We have low-walled cubicles (waist-height). Every single freakin' surface is covered. They paper the walls of their cubes with multiple layers of photos, have oodles of figurines and other chotkes. Files have many more papers than they need to - 5+ copies of something when only 1 is needed. Mind you, everything is on email and we've got enough server space to keep emails for about a year. My only decorative items are a pretty postcard pinned to my cube wall, and another small pretty picture propped up against my monitor.

Boss told me in my review (which was *excellent*) two weeks ago that I'm the fastest worker and the most efficient one in our department. She loves how I keep my desk and handle my work. She can always find anything of mine. My email inbox is virtually empty. So is the sent folder - emails either in appropriate customer subfolder or deleted. All emails are filed in appropriate customer subfolder, and each customer has very specific subfolders - reports, financials, shipping documents. Because I work so fast and my customers' shipments are just starting up for peak season, when two others are slammed, I willingly help them. But their files are such a mess that I spend a lot of time looking for stuff - which I shouldn't have to do - because there are so many dupes in a file, so many emails that didn't need to be printed out.

I'm off tomorrow. I'm bringing coworkers up to speed on what they might have to cover on my desk. One coworker was freaking out, actually shaking, because she said she can't find stuff. Mind you, my file cart with active files is specifically labeled with the different portions our work flow, and files have sticky flags on them, too. This is the coworker with 50+ emails in her inbox, cluttered desk with all sorts of stuff all over. Boss can't find stuff on this coworker's desk.

It's taken me four years and tons of nagging to just get coworkers to sort emails by customer from my inbox each morning when I'm out of the office. Simple. It takes less than five minutes, depending on how many emails. Then, when you respond to an email from within folder, the response stays in that folder too, since I have my email set up that way. So much easier to find stuff later. I'd come back from a week's vacation to an inbox/sent folder with hundreds of email in each. It would take me a ton of time to sort everything out.

My coworkers don't like using the search function in Outlook much. They'd just rather scroll through a folder with hundreds of emails looking for something, rather than using search. Ugh.

We're almost close to the same age, but I'm also the most tech-savvy. I'm the unofficial IT person for my department, and I've been told I can get more tech training if I want. The bookmark bar in IE is a wonder of wonders for most used bookmarks. People have seen mine, and have asked me to set it up for them. I spend a ton of time on the computer at home and have gotten all this knowledge on my own, but a bookmark bar on your browser really shouldn't be the 8th Wonder of the World!>8)

Oceanic
5-26-11, 2:01pm
The driver training program I took as a teenager INSISTED that one should ALWAYS back into a parking space. Now, it's just the way I feel most comfortable parking. I swear, I have no intentions of robbing banks. :)

loosechickens
5-26-11, 2:19pm
My sweetie also is one who always backs into parking spaces, and isn't a bank robber ;-) He says that he feels it's much safer than trying to back out of the space when its difficult to see cars approaching in either direction. When he backs INTO the space, he's doing it from the driving area where he can see other cars approaching, but when he would be in the parking space and backing out, his visibility would be much less. For what that is worth as an explanation........

redfox
5-26-11, 3:36pm
I am not sure why this bugs me -- but people who insist on backing into every parking place -- like they are preparing to rob a bank and need to make a quick getta way!

As someone who frequently does this, let me explain my reasoning - perhaps others have this situation as well. My car is quite low to the ground, and the visibility out the back is not great. Backing in when I have room to see & maneuver in the open lot feels safer than backing out from a narrow space. I have often had the experience that as I'm backing out of a space, a pedestrian appears in my back window who I barely missed, and it scares the heck outta' me. This is my way of being safer.

treehugger
5-26-11, 3:50pm
As someone who frequently does this, let me explain my reasoning - perhaps others have this situation as well. My car is quite low to the ground, and the visibility out the back is not great. Backing in when I have room to see & maneuver in the open lot feels safer than backing out from a narrow space. I have often had the experience that as I'm backing out of a space, a pedestrian appears in my back window who I barely missed, and it scares the heck outta' me. This is my way of being safer.

Yeah, I wanted to comment on that as well. I work for a company that places a high priorty on safety, so we have frequent safety trainings, meetings, etc. Apparently, a huge percentage of motor vehicle/pedestrian accidents and property damage happens in parking lots. And of those accidents, a huge percentage are when a car is exiting (backing out) of a space. One way to prevent that is to back into a space so that you can exit going forward.

I still don't usually feel comfortable backing into a space (seems like it needs extra maneuvering up front), but I do now tend to look for spaces where I can pull through so that I am facing out of the space I end up in.

That said, this is the rant thread and I never want to logic away a good rant! ;)

Kara

Gizmo
5-26-11, 4:35pm
My May rant:
My new job told me multiple times that CPA mandatory CPE is paid for, as well as membership to professional organizations. When I started, this was in the employee handbook as well.

I emailed, saying what do I need to do in order to get these reimbursed (asked BEFORE I paid for anything). Was told, oh, just fill out this form, attach receipts and fax it back to me.

Did that, and THEN was told by the same person after they got my fax back "Oh, you need pre-approval" (not listed anywhere in the handbook) " and anyway, we don't cover any of that stuff till you've been here more than 6 months" (also, not listed in the handbook).

I am PISSED! Why didn't you say that when I emailed the FIRST Time, BEFORE I paid for everything! Now I'm out $500.. Yes, I needed the CPE, but right now I need the $500 more! (just moved, boyfriend lost his temp job)...

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Greg44
5-26-11, 4:53pm
That said, this is the rant thread and I never want to logic away a good rant! ;) Kara

:)

...funny I even thought of it as being a bit arrogant -- having to be different than everyone else in the parking lot! Of COURSE that would NOT apply to any of you good people! ;)

fidgiegirl
5-26-11, 6:02pm
That said, this is the rant thread and I never want to logic away a good rant! ;)

Kara

That's right! Long live the rant thread!

SoSimple
5-26-11, 10:55pm
I back into spaces or pull-through into spaces as I hate backing out of spaces in my little Yaris when stuck between two behemoth SUVs. But it bugs me when people make a pig's ear of backing into a space and end up going back and forth and back and forth 20 times trying to figure out how to turn the wheel so they back in without hitting someone else. If you can't drive well enough to back into a space, then for crying out loud, just find a space where you can pull straight through!!!

SoSimple
5-26-11, 11:01pm
Ongoing rant. Freaking health insurance pre-authorization bureaucratic red-freaking-tape!!! Had to take a WHOLE DAY off work to drive to the nearest location that does the blood test I have to get done before my new insurance company will even consider authorizing coverage of my medication.

The most frightening thing (to me) is that I'll have to do this every single bloody time I change job, which in the past has been often, and will likely happen again within the year as my sweetie and I try to get back under the same roof.

Tenngal
5-27-11, 11:42pm
all insurance companies are evil...............

ke3
5-31-11, 2:43pm
Ok, my rant (after a several months' break from not posting; so sorry my first come-back post is a maniacal gripe) is in the same category as SoSimple's--having to do with health insurance. We switched to Kaiser in January; and it has been fabulous, so far, to have each doctor I visit know exactly which doctor I last visited, and to have all of them looking at ALL of my medical records and tests...EXCEPT THIS: THE ONLY CHRONIC PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINIC IS @#$@!!!!! 1 1/2 HOURS DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE!! Great. Isn't that just so sensible? Making people who are in a lot of pain endure the torture of driving that far to get comprehensive treatment? Oh, good idea, Kaiser!

At least all the doctors at the local Kaiser facility agree that it's stupid. That's some consolation. Eventually they will have a pain clinic closer, but right now that doesn't help me one bit.

End of rant.

redfox
5-31-11, 10:08pm
My j.o.b. Again. <sigh> I like paying the mortgage. I really do. I don't like meetings that are useless to me. In a small agency (3 FT, 2 PT), I really don't care to talk about everybody else's job in order to do mine. I write grants and fundraising proposals, and I DO NOT want to do your program development. Like I have said over and over, please come to me when you have a program designed, with goals & outcomes, and partners lined up, THEN I'll look for funding for you. It doesn't help me to hear all of your musings, and believe me, I can't write grants for programs that are not thought through.

Arrgghh.

SoSimple
5-31-11, 10:53pm
Job rant. (This may make no sense without getting into a long explanation of what I actually do, but I just need to RANT).

Message to lawyers in our many, geographically dispersed offices. DO NOT try to print off the entire freaking contents of your evidentiary document database over the WAN. You will kill the server on which it's housed. You will fry your office's entire network bringing email access to a grinding halt. You will spend 15 hours trying to print 2300 documents totaling 15,000 pages. And for crying out loud, this is the 21st century and we put all those documents ONLINE so you could read them ONLINE instead of printing them out for you to take home over the holiday weekend. That little CD you sent us has 40,000 pages of emails on it. Do you really want us to send a pick-up truck of paper to your house???

And no, I DO NOT RUN A PRINT SHOP. If you want us to print them out and overnight them to you, you'll need to buy us a printer that does more than 20 ppm and jams every 10th page.