PDA

View Full Version : A New Home (?)

Zoebird
5-3-11, 4:38am
It's a rental, mind, but still. I'm happy and anxious about it, so i thought I would write about it and you can all talk to me about your thoughts and insights.

We moved to Wellington 17 months ago (or so). We moved into an apartment (one in an old home) about 10 minutes walk from our business. It's a nice, clean, one-bedroom place with a lot of nice amenities -- heat pump (rare in NZ that a place is both insulated and has a heating source), fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washer/dryer.

The benefits of the location have been many: living close to the office allows us to walk there, and to be there quickly should there be an issue of any kind; we walk around the city frequently; no need for a car.

The drawbacks are these: it's in a student area, so it can be pretty noisy and/or messy outside; there's no yard/garden space for the kiddo -- he needs to be out of doors, and I need him to have a small yard that is safe for him to hang out in, to be in a sand box; and it's actually quite pricey.

We want to move into a neighborhood on the edge of town. It's full of cultural creatives and most of our friends live out there. It's a beach-town feel, basically in the city. The neighborhood is very family friendly, too -- children run in and out of people's homes, everyone looking out for everyone's kids, and neighbors spending a lot of time together socializing -- walking by and stopping in for a chat, for tea or coffee, or bringing over some tasty treats or garden goodies. It's seriously and for real idyllic.

The schools are also good, and they have a kindergarden within walking distance (kindy starts at age 3 and goes to 6 here). The school and kindy are right on the beach, and the children of all ages grow veggies and herbs there. The only thing missing -- truly -- is a community garden, but i'm connected with the community garden near us, and hope that perhaps we can get one going over there. :)

The house is small -- about the same size as this one (about 500 sq ft). It's a 'one bedroom' but it's been opened out (walls and doors removed) so that it's really pretty much one large, l-shaped room that is the bedroom, lounge, and eat-in kitchen. tucked to the back of the house is a small bedroom that's been turned into a closet (it would fit a twin bed, etc), and also the bathroom. Tucked off the kitchen and back room/bathroom is a small courtyard/garden -- probably about 10 ft by 10 ft.

One of my best friends -- who is currently pregnant -- lives in the house right next door. My husband's best friend lives 4 doors down.

The cottage overlooks the water -- yes, the beach! -- and has beautiful views of the rumatakas (sp? and i think it's that range, i have no idea really. LOL).

It's also $200 less per month.

The draw backs of the cottage are these:

It's farther from work -- which means a 20 minute commute by express bus or 45 by the regular bus. It's a 15 minute drive into town, but there is the parking issue. We don't plan on getting a car until October/November -- so we'll be pretty bus reliant (and our besties will let us borrow their cars once every week for shopping and such -- we've already asked, and we'll provide gas money).

The amenities aren't as great. To the best of my knowldege (based on my friend's cottage which is owned by the same lady), the cottage isn't insulated nor does it have a heat source. It looks like there is some sort of fire place in the lounge, but who knows if it is functional or not. They are approaching her about insulating the roof -- so we could likely bring it up -- and also about getting a wood burning or pellet stove for the place. No washer/dryer, but there is a dishwasher -- which our friends had removed from their flat and then put one of those washer/dryer combos in that spot. We would likely do the same.

My anxiety about it is really the cost of the commute and filling out the amenities that we would need. We do need some form of heat source, as it gets cold in the winter. It's not frigid, but it's wet and goes to the bone. So, we need the drying and the heat of it.

I'm not sure how to negotiate, because my friend said that they asked her to come down $50 on their rent when they started, and she agreed -- just to get the tenant and because she liked them. They said we could likely do the same. But, I was thinking of seeing if she would get the pellet/wood burning stove and insulation for us, if we would pay -- say $50 more per month (we would still be saving $150 per month, which would more than cover our transportation costs).

I'm sure it never hurts to ask, but do you think something like that might work?

The only other downside is our current lease. We love our landlord, and we already talked to him about whether he had other properties that would suit us. he didn't, but said he understood that we might need to move on before our lease is up. We have already talked to him about ending the lease early -- you just have to pay 3 extra weeks rent (they do rent weekly here). Usually, you also pay rent until they find a new tenant -- I'm hoping that he will wave that -- because we cannot afford two places. Our lease doesn't come up until next Feb.

we signed that long of a lease because when feb came, we didn't feel ready to move. but once we hit april, and started visiting our friends in seatoun and we found a cottage we could afford over there (went to other tenants), we just got a bug in our ears about it.

I'm sure that "if it's meant to be, it will be" and of course we wouldn't sign a new lease until the old one is completely settled and negotiated. And it's a good location, so we do think that he would be able to find tenants quickly.

In any case, that's where I am right now.

Biggest worry -- how to organize our schedules so that we can work. Right now, DH walks to work at 7:30 am and returns home by 12, and then i walk in and teach yoga and do office work until 7:30. Then i head home. Our son is split between us.

With the commute, we might have to have DH hop on an early bus and head over, and then DS and I drive in and DH takes the car. They, then, do their errands (usually groceries), and have some time in the parks, etc, then head back home. I would then take the express bus home.

Or, consolidating my work-week down to 3 days, DH working two at the office (or 1.5), and i work the other 3. we shall see.

lhamo
5-3-11, 5:51am
The new neighborhood sounds ideal from a quality-of-family-life perspective, but adding the commute is going to complicate things considerably. Can you first talk with your employers about the possibilities of changing your work schedules around? Each working full days but alternating seems like it would make the most sense if you are going to add a longer bus commute. I would also want to be very sure about the financial consequences of ending your lease early before committing to anything.

It sounds to me like you might be making this decision too quickly. HOw old is your child now and what options are available nearby for outdoor play for the next few months? Moving into new housing with an iffy heat situation as winter sets in doesn't sound ideal to me. Maybe it would make more sense to wait a few months until your lease is closer to coming up, and then seeing what is available in the new neighborhood. Once your child is pre-school age that may increase your options in terms of work scheduling, too.

The new neighborhood does sound great, though -- shame on you for planting thoughts of relocating to NZ in my head! I'm sure we'd love it there...

HOpe this isn't too much of a Debbie Downer post. Just think you should consider carefully before committing to a change.

lhamo

Zoebird
5-3-11, 5:54pm
I talked to my friend who lives next door, and she said she's going to ask the woman to insulate her place (next door to the one we're looking at), as well as bring in a wood burning stove and that they would help pay for it. I suggested that she simply ask if she could increase the rent by $50 or so per month to help defray those costs.

It's what we did when we moved into this place, and the landlord has been happy with the outcome. we pay about $80 more per month in rent such that he could put the heat pump in.

I figure that, when we see the place, we might make the same offer to her -- but maybe for an extra $40 per month instead of $80. This would still have us keeping $160, and we are looking at car and bus costs settling in around $100 per month (if that -- we can be quite frugal about gas). So, still a $60 savings per month.

In addition, it might take several months for the insulation and heat stuff to be worked out. We could ask her if we could have a move in date in July or August, which gives us time to organize our current lease with our landlord (I think 3 months notice should be good enough for him to get a new tenant -- and we keep this place very clean and tidy) as well as slowly move stuff over to the new place (eg, move over the clothing that is out of season and related items that we aren't wearing/using right away; clearing out any things here that we don't need or use, etc).

In regards to the schedule, I'm self employed, so I can really only talk to myself!

Because DH is taking on more contract work (and less work for the business as a whole), we already talked about fixing the schedules a bit differently. I'm teaching more during the day (particularly T/W/Th), and he had taken on more of DS's care which made it harder for him to work.

He would like to be able to work from 7:30 am until about 12 or 1, and I need to be at work by 12 (latest). So, even now, these needs are hard to balance. Our parenting coach recommended that we get a few hours of child care each week, so that DH can work on his things more effectively and feel less stressed.

We came up with the idea to have DH go into the office on Mondays and Fridays. He can go in early and do a lot of work and have time to use it however he wants (both for his personal writing, for the business, and also for his contract writing). I would simply have to give up the evening (5:30) class, and I have a few teachers who may be interested. On Friday, he could do a half-day (all of our people come in around 11 that day, except our acupuncturist) until 12 or 1, and then DS and I could pick him up and we could do our grocery shopping and the like then. Then head home for a nice evening and our friday fish-and-chips (home-made, of course!).

This is an idea that has been brewing for a while, without the move. I would be with DS on Mon/Fri, and then DH would be with him T/W/Th -- but we would get child care for the ams on T/W/Th -- from about 9 am until 12 or so. I would walk DS to the care center, and then hop on a bus to work, then get the last express home in the evening.

So, we are visiting and questioning three places on Friday: 1. seeing the house and asking the landlord about the whole situation; 2. seeing the kindy and asking several questions there; and 3. seeing the care center and asking several questions there.

We won't move if we don't feel confident in it; we can always wait until Spring (which was our original plan). We just don't find homes for rent there very often. :)

Zoebird
5-6-11, 3:40am
Saw the place today and we love it. There is another couple looking at it (apparently their second look is tomorrow), but we want it bad!

It's actually better than we thought -- more space than we expected in the second bedroom (which would be the office), and there's a *mudroom!* and the room (kitchen, bedroom, and lounge) are quite large. There is a small back "yard" area -- it's really a patio that leads right up to the base of the hill. Part of it is covered for protected, secure storage (for boats, bikes, etc), and another little area is set up to be some sort of garden/i don't know what to be honest. More storage I guess. But, I think I could set it up like a nifty little greenhouse (for herbs), and then also covered play space out of doors for DS.

There is heating *and* the landlord is insulating it this month (both floor and roof!).

We would need our own washer and dryer plus our own fridge, but I've found good used ones for a good price ($350 for all three) through a reputable little company that sells used machines (most are 10 years old or so). Still, good condition is good condition.

We find out tomorrow if we'll get the place, and then I can get all excited about painting, possibly pulling up the carpets (waiting until summer for that!), and so on and so forth. :D

lhamo
5-6-11, 5:04am
Sounds great -- hope it works out for you!

lhamo

herisf
5-6-11, 8:26am
Regarding your or your spouse's commute - could you bicycle to work? That way you won't have the cost of a car and have greater flexibility on heading out/back. You don't mention if the roads are safe, but I don't see any mention that biking has been considered. Just another thought for the idea pot.

Zoebird
5-6-11, 8:32pm
it's 18 kms around the bays -- which is the only way that I would go. Part of the ride which would have heavy traffic, and I really do not do well on roads with cars. I stick to casual riding on occasion, and using it as a commute might be a bit much for me. Also, it would take an hour (more or less depending upon weather, how one is riding that day, how fast one rides anyway), and we want to decrease commute time as much as possible.

But, it is worth considering -- at least in the summer. My husband would be more apt to do it than I would; I'm not very keen on riding bikes at all, really! :D

I calculated out what our bus use would be, as well as car/gas (estimated based on current prices), and it looks like we'll save about $40 per month in the new place. That would be great, really. :)

Zoebird
5-8-11, 7:33am
Talked to our current landlord today, and asked about "the clause." There is a clause in the lease that says we would pay rent until there is a new tenant. We asked if there was some space to negotiate. He seemed rather adamant, but DH handled the entry into negotiations well.

First, we said that we were looking at moving out in a month -- not right away -- which gives him time to find a new tenant. We are hoping he finds one quickly. In addition, we told him we were happy to pay the penalty (one week's rent) plus give up the remainder of the bond if we could walk away at the end of the month even if he doesn't have a tenant moving in right away. He seemed open to this, and understood that we were in need of a larger place with a yard (albeit a small yard).

Second, we talked about how we had to take the new place -- because of the opportunity -- and he asked where it was and if it was around the same price point as his place -- and he said that for the location (he lives in the same neighborhood that we're moving into) it's nearly impossible to find something at that price point, and so we were right to take the opportunity when it came up. He really is a nice guy.

He's coming over tomorrow -- and we'll make sure that we're in agreement about the end of the lease (creating an amendment to the contract in writing). He'll also take pictures of the place to put up an advertisement, and we already put the word out to various friends to tell people who may be looking for a place that our place will be available soon. It really is a nice place -- just not what we want/need any more. If this beach cottage hadn't come up, we would be fine here for another year!

Anyway, we're excited. We meet with the new landlord in a couple of days to go over the new lease -- set the move-in date, and see how it goes from there. On Friday, I go over with our suitcases of stored stuff -- the other tenant is moving out then -- and accept delivery of the washer and dryer as well as the fridge. I have also bought a fire screen (antique, impulse purchase, $4 for an art-deco copper screen that's all green from age!). I know, it's silly, but the fireplace needs a screen (the gas heating unit is seriously unattractive, and the current screen is equally unattractive).

And, "the kids" (some friends of ours who are 20 and the sweetest young people on the *planet*) are going to come over and help me give it a good clean and give me an estimate on the painting process (4 rooms to paint white!) as well as building the kitchen shelves (they will be about 10 ft long, so it's no small task. :) ). They'll likely do these for a small price -- they can borrow tools from their friends at church, and then we'll pay for the materials of course, and then pay them whatever they want for the labor -- which will probably be very little. It's because they are just nice, sweet, helpful kids. And we feed them and give them free yoga. :)

Then, it's just having a group of people help us move on moving day -- some heavy furnishings (our bedroom stuff) and a small box of our kitchen wares. The rest I can carry over in the luggage. It makes it easy.

Zoebird
5-25-11, 3:14am
Updating because I'm psyched!

1. Decluttering nearly complete! I started decluttering when we decided to act on the cottage, and did pretty well the first week. Then got stressed and crazy, and then went back to decluttering. DH had 48 hr films (contest) this past weekend, and I had to be with hawk the whole time alone, so I mostly focused on good times with him, rather than work or decluttering. It was pretty exhausting, actually. LOL

So, I have one closet left to do -- and of course i've been packing what I can as I've gone along, too, so that it's easy to take with us when we go. I'd planned on making bus trips over there and taking a bag or two each trip, but we've just been too crazy.

2. Moving! This weekend, my friend is loaning us his van so that we can pick up our fridge, our cafe chairs, and take our luggage over to the new place. We'll only be taking what is in storage and what we don't need for a week. Then next weekend, we'll move the rest of it.

3. Cleaning the Cottage! I thought the cottage was going to need a lot of work, but the landlady agreed to paint the interior for us, as well as insulate the roof. I'm going to insulate underfloor -- i found a good deal on a recycling center that makes recycled polystyrene insulation. It's good that it has no VOCs (unless on fire), and it has a high R value. And, it's only $5 per square meter (and I think we have about 35/40 sq meters).

We still need to build some shelves for the kitchen and closet area, but otherwise, we're really happy that we don't have to pay for paint!

Oh, and she's cleaning the carpets.

4. Landlord/Tenant issues: We weren't able to come to new terms at this point, but there are two people interested in our place thus far. So, we're pretty sure that we will find someone soon. Both are looking at it this weekend, and it will be in tip-top shape for them when they do look!

We asked the landlord to drop the rent down, and we'd pay the difference -- which is no problem for us at it's current asking price. If he gets someone for the week that we move out (awesome!), then we would really just give him what we'd originally asked to give him when we started. But, it's just a starting point. Financially, we'll be ok until he gets another tenant, which should be within 1-3 weeks!

5. Transportation --

We had two big concerns about transportation -- costs, of course, but how we would get to the grocery was our big one! Well, problem solved!

A. we decided to start ordering the organic veggie boxes, which has been great for us. It's also less expensive than what we are paying for at the store, and not all of that is organic. We get to choose from seasonal veggies and fruit what we want, so it's not like we'd be stuck with things we don't eat (but we eat a lot of different kinds of fruits and veggies).

B. one of our neighbors owns an excellent meat market, and not only offered us a discount on meats, but also said he'd bring it home (he lives a few doors down) and we could just swing by and pick it up! How great is that?

C. for whatever else we would need, we could either swing by our normal store on the way home one evening, or order it. Their delivery fee is only $7 -- which costs less than the gas to get there and back!

D. our milk share delivers close to our offices, so that's easy enough. :D

Our other big concern was transport to and from work and for DS's fun. We decided to switch up our schedule so that I am home on Monday/Friday with DS, and DH is at the offices. Then, on T/W/Th, we switch.

But DH doesn't want full days with DS, and so I was thinking about day care or something, but ultimately found the playcenter. It's a parent run organization where parents work one class and get the rest of the week for free. Since I'd be home Mon/Fri, I could easily work those days, and then DS could be there the other days. I would work mon or fri, and we would have one day off from playcenter (going only 4 days). Then he would go Tues/Wed/Thurs.

I would take him to playcenter (leaving around 8) and DH would pick him up at 11:30. This gives DH 3 hrs or so to himself in the mornings at home, and then he'll have only three afternoons with DS. I would then go straight to work on those days.

We would take the bus to/from work, which costs about $32 per week. We live within walking distance of the play center -- really about a 20 minute walk, but with DS's playfulness, a good 30 minutes at least. :D But, he's used to 30-60 minute walks around town, and we'll still get plenty of exercise in!

I'm really excited about this, because it means we really wouldn't need a car, though we plan on getting one in October. It's a reliable older car that a friend owns -- a station wagon, too. It will be a good fit for our family, and hopefully last a couple of years. :) But, we won't use it for daily travels, etc -- because we won't need to.

I'm really, truly psyched about this. :D

lhamo
5-25-11, 4:18am
Cool! Great that everything worked out so well. Hope you find a new tenant to replace you in the old place soon, so that won't be a burden mentally or financially.

Enjoy your new home! I'm sorely tempted to move to NZ now, I hope you know :)

lhamo

Mrs-M
5-26-11, 12:08am
So happy for you Zoebird!!! Fingers crossed in hopes of quick tenant(s) to replace you. :)

Zoebird
5-29-11, 4:31am
we've been active about it and there are a few people interested. hopefully they'll have a look soon!

we moved over most of our stuff today -- basically everything that fits into our eight cases plus the furnishings that we have that are easy.

this week, i'll spend cleaning our currently place top-to-bottom and then next weekend we move the remaining items (clothes for the week, DS's toys, our cooking gear, and our bedroom furnishings.

the landlady did have the place painted white (white-er really, a color called 'rice cake' which is a bit of a grey-brown-white, not my favorite color, because i love bright white), but only managed to get half the house painted (annoying!), but I -- thankfully -- have two people who can paint it for me, who will probably be over next weekend to do it as well. The things people will do for free yoga.

So, next weekend, we'll be in the new place, and with any luck, the new tenant will be in -- in a week or two -- and we'll be free and clear. The landlord of our current place has been really great -- very open to our really go-getting a tenant by putting out the information *everywhere* and getting it done. so, i'm sure it will get done. :)

After moving over our closet and other stuff, I just spent the day organizing things at the new place and making piles. The landlady had a lot of stuff "stored" in this place -- hanging items, drawers, etc -- some weird little odds and ends. But, she also bought us some flowers to plant, and so she and Hawk had a great time doing that. I put all of her things (to move to where ever she'll move them) into one corner of the house so that she can gather them later this week, and then we'll really only have what we want/need in the place.

I then went and washed down the back of the house -- the little area that will be the greenhouse was in a right state of cobwebs and dirt. and the landlady's stuff. So, i put that in a pile in another part of the garden (secure storage part) for her and just cleaned the rest of it. Then i got onto the roof and cleaned up there and figured out whether or not i could put bee hives where I want to put bee hives.

I'm also trying to figure out where to put the recycling bin (it's huge. who recycles that much stuff? I'd recycle once a year at the rate that the bin would be filled), the worm farm, and the trash can (which is also huge -- who throws away that much stuff? we produce less than a 5 gal bag per week), and the bokashi bin. I'm trying to see if the kindy will let me bokashi their compost when i need to (every few weeks or so). Man, reading Your Money or Your Life really changes things in terms of reducing waste!

Anyhoot, it's coming along nicely and we are happy with the process.

we decided to let the captain's bed/divan go to the salvation army. it's just not what we want or need, so out it goes to someone who wants or needs it!

we also decided to repurpose the clothes rack (currently used for coats and shoes) as our shelving for our books, drop space (keys, wallet, etc), and our DS's toys and what not. It only has three shelves, so I'm trying to source more shelves for it -- I really only need one more, but two would work better (and look more balanced). Which means, buying less stuff and saving money!

Zoebird
5-31-11, 4:07am
Well, we had a potential tenant look at our current place today, and we have a second person looking on Sunday.

The person today is "very interested" but has another two appointments this week to see two other places. We had a nice chat with him, though -- about how nice the place is -- how warm and quiet -- and close to down town. He asked about other neighborhoods -- and I told him that they are great neighborhoods, but that it would be a longer walk into work or more for parking or what have you. So, he's definitely interested, and will let the landlord know by Tuesday. If he takes it, they want to move in not this weekend, but next.

Our landlord is out of town, so on Sunday, we'll have the second person in to check the place out. We'll host them through, answer questions, etc.

In addition, we are moving on Saturday, then the cleaning crew is coming on Tuesday. I got a half-price deal on that! yippee! Then it's basically move-in ready. The landlord says he'll get the carpets cleaned next Wed/Thurs, and would need us to let them in (no problem, since we work down town). Then, we'll turn over the keys to him on that same day.

It's great because he says he's had a lot of calls (and he's still booking people to have a look for next week), but whom ever takes it first is good for us! Sooner the better!

Mrs-M
6-3-11, 2:37pm
Excitedly awaiting another update Zoebird! :)

Zoebird
6-18-11, 2:14am
SO, those tenants did not pan out, BUT we did get a tenant *today!* he moves in tomorrow!

We had to lower the rent (again), btu the cool thing is that we actually don't have to pay much to be free and clear. I'd wanted to pay him 1 months rent plus the bond, and as it is, we will be paying him less than that by half! :D So, savings for us!

This also means I can use the savings to get my filling re-done. :) yay!

lhamo
6-18-11, 2:35am
Glad it worked out and hope you enjoy life in your new digs!

lhamo

Zoebird
6-18-11, 4:12am
oh, we love it here. it's so gorgeous.

first, we are so less stressed. took us a while to figure out why. we think it's two reasons -- one, less environmental noise (people above, below, city noise, etc); and two, we are right by the sea, which does a lot for us personally. it's a place of great power. it's so open. :)

second, it is just so much fun here. in the first week we saw the most amazing 9-armed spiral star fish! then, we saw blue penguins! and then, we saw these teeny, tiny hermit crabs. they are seriously small! i thought they were just color in the rocks -- like, white lines -- but they were huge communities of hermit crabs! And of course there are mussels (which we can see at low tide), and lots of awesome wild flowers and grasses, and gorgeous trails that take us over the ridge to the opening of the harbor and cook straight, and on and on and on. We hike all over the place and *love* it.

We were low media already (very little TV as a family), and DS probably watched one movie or a few videos of some kind (eg, national geo on youtube) per week, but he hasn't had ANY media since we've been here, and he's perfectly happy with that. He goes into the little courtyard and plays, or we go on our hikes, or we go to the park -- which is a lovely park with lots of kids and families. We've met a lot of families already!

we still dont' have a car, but DH and i feel that we could easily go without. We have made the trip to the grocery store twice, which was no problem. But, we start our organic veggie boxes this week, and we're also trying out the organic/free range butcher down the street (about 1 km). It looks like his meat prices are even better than our current place. We would really only need a short run to the other shop in the city, then, for eggs, bacon, butter, nuts, and spices. we already pick up our raw milk down the street from our offices and have cod liver oil delivered, so we really think that it will be easy. DH figures that one evening during the week he can go from offices to grocery store, then hop a bus home. it would be only one bag of groceries for him, likely.

I'm also looking at starting a children's yoga program in our neighborhood one for preschoolers at least (hawk's age), and possibly one for toddlers, too, on a day that DH is with DS -- and before going into the office. Not quite sure about that toddler one, but we shall see. But, either way, it will help me get to know the women and children in the neighborhood (and a fair few dads, too, probably), which is very cool.

we really, really love it here. :)

Mrs-M
6-20-11, 10:11pm
Sounds like paradise! Doing a happy dance for you Zoebird! http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/bliss.gif

Gosh, gosh, gosh, and right by the sea too! Totally wow!!! How about swimming Zoebird? Are there any safe beaches right around your vicinity to go for a dip? About the car thing and not having one, don't feel bad about that. If you can comfortably get around for now without one and it's not going to put a damper on the things you want to do, then I say enjoy it and capitalize on it. (Few can brag about not owning a car)!

Going to be thinking of you.

Margaret (Mrs-M), your jealous SL friend! :)