PDA

View Full Version : May Spring Cleaning Challenge

Kat
5-3-11, 5:57am
Thought I'd continue the April challenge since the construction lasted much longer than expected and prevented me from getting much done.

Yesterday my in-laws came over and helped me clean up the front yard. We weeded, trimmed hedges, and spread out some mulch. We also swept down the sides of the house, the front stairs, and the sidewalked. I still have some work to do, but what a difference!

I am supposed to be able to move back into my kitchen this weekend (although this is like the millionth time I have been promised this). If I am, I will have my work cut out for me as every surface and every object will need to be cleaned before I can put it back. Kind of a daunting task, but I think it will feel great when everything is clean and in its place.

How are the rest of you coming along?

babr
5-3-11, 7:45am
I am jumping in but just doing a bit at a time; attempted to wash my front door and clean the rubber bottom under the screen door; looked at it later and it looks awful; so back at it; also trying to do my windows and screens; dh and i have a condo with three floors and we are going to have to rent a ladder to get the outside windows; they look terrible

also cleaned out our little garden plot out back; just putting some wild flower mix and in the front; the periwinkle got a fungus due to all the rain; so am having to clip the dieased leaves; also weeding the front as well; which will be a summer project

trying as i said to not overdue due to my health; just bits at a time;; i have alot of tests scheduled this month in between some fun stuff; so that leaves little time for home things; but the world won't cave in if i don't get them done; good luck on all your projects

danna
5-3-11, 8:50pm
I am in....lots to do.
Masterbed and bathroom have just been painted and ceilings in the big main room.
I started Fri putting the master bedroom and the bathroom back together, cleaning/sorting/purging as I go. Both of these rooms look great now.
Last week I did the pantry (large room) and did it clean/neat/sorted.
There is lots to do in the yard but we have had so much rain the grass will need cut and the weeds are growing like wild fire...hopfully I can get out there soon.
See you tomorrow

kally
5-3-11, 9:23pm
Tomorrow's work
I will sweep the outside steps to the basement which is always covered in leaves.
I need to get a vacuum that will go into all the little corners in teh basement, will try to borrow my friend's.
I have no idea how other people handle cat hair this time of year, any ideas? I am sweeping 2 times a day on the hard wood.

larknm
5-4-11, 12:46pm
Gave big stack of already-read newspapers to bird store that needs them for bottoms of cages.

Getting rid of items that don't fit into the few storage shelves we've put in our house. I want to eventually get one or both of the storage shelves out.

Learning to get better at ignoring the fact that DH is a packrat and just take care of limiting the amount of my own stuff.

lhamo
5-4-11, 4:58pm
I did pretty well with cleaning/organization this week, though I didn't hit all my goals:

1) Cleaned and reorganized the pantry shelves. Very pleased with how that turned out -- it looks so pretty and neat I want to take a picture!

2) Set up filing system in the office -- didn't get through everything, but got most of the regular files set up. This will make it easier to stay on top of paperwork.

3) Have paperwork I need to follow up with set aside to tackle this weekend. Should have done it last night, but got lazy....

4) WIth the help of our ayi, got all the cushion covers and bedding washed.

5) Switched out my closet from winter to summer arrangement. Have enough space for stuff so didn't bother to declutter.

I didn't tackle the kids toyroom -- seemed too overwhelming. But I did get several things off my list, so it feels good. DH/kids come back tonight.

lhamo

Bugeah
5-5-11, 12:25am
I'm jumping in too. Today I threw out 5 unneeded cosmetics (it was a work day so I didn't get much done). Earlier this week I tossed a few of the kids' too small clothes, sorted through a stack of papers, and planted my snow pea plants.

Perplexa
5-7-11, 7:33am
I guess this is the month when I'm seriously going to pack up to move. I started the 100 things challenge last month, and got up to 8 before school got in the way. But so far this month:

Packed up a box to ship to the soon-to-be-cohabitating significant other.

Freecycled:
medical paraffin wax melter thingy
crockpot that runs hot and I never use
extra binders I no longer need.

Stella
5-7-11, 2:47pm
Finally tackling my bedroom!

Kat
5-7-11, 5:12pm
Great job, everyone! All your hard work motivates me to get moving!

We started putting together the kitchen last night--definitely a work in progress. But we installed some shelf paper, and later today or maybe Monday I get to start putting stuff back in my cabinets and scrubbing the appliances.

I still need to deep clean and organize the rest of the house, too...except the bathroom. I did that already! The only thing left in there is the fan, which may need to be replaced. I'll have to have DH look at that. Otherwise, I am thrilled to start cleaning construction dust off of everything! ;-)

Kat
5-9-11, 1:31pm
So...my house sort of looks like a bomb went off in it. But we have made a lot of headway. All of the shelf paper is in place, and most of the dishes have been washed and put away. I have been repurposing baskets and glass jars to organize things, too, and deemed my small stainless steel bowl "the treat jar." This is where I am going to put candies and pre-portioned snacks and things for DH's lunch. I noticed this stuff was kind of spread out, and I wouldn't find it for ages. We also rearranged the contents of some of the drawers so that it would make more sense (i.e. things being stored where they are used), and I think we may end up with an empty drawer!

I broke down a bunch of boxes yesterday, and DH installed some shelves in the dining room to use as a bar. I found a wooden tray that is too small to serve food on, but it will work perfectly to hold all of DH's tea making stuff. Now when he wants a cup of tea, all he needs to do is slide the tray out of the cabinet and voila!--all his tea, honey, etc. is right there. I am also re-using a brand-new litterbox someone gave us to hold supplies under the sink. The litterbox is actually a small one for a kitten, so it won't work for its intended purpose. But it should be just fine under the sink! :-)

Kat
5-14-11, 3:00pm
The kitchen is finally clean and everything is unpacked. DH installed the curtains today. It isn't quite done yet. We are still waiting for the trim pieces on the counter to be installed, and we do need to touch up some paint in some areas. But it is clean and functional.

Today we are working on the dining room. We got a bunch of boxes out of there and are moving the supplies for the nursery upstairs. My MIL is taking the free standing pantry home to paint, so we should be able to scrub everything down and have access to our table again soon. I miss eating at the table!

I also did some cleaning and organizing in the master bedroom closet. The ceiling in there is the only way to get to the attic, so our contractor had me take everything out so he could get up there. When I was done, I figured it was the perfect time to clean, purge, and rearrange. Done and done!

Kat
5-15-11, 10:37am
Last night we finished the dinig room and living room. Here is my list for this next week:

--shampoo living room carpet
--clean entry way and sunroom (shouldn't take too long)
--finish cleaning master bedroom (shouldn't take too long)
--clean and organize home office and extra bedroom (these are biggies as they are still a mess from the remodel)
--scrub bathroom (also shouldn't take too long--just did this)
--clean and vacuum stairs, landing, and upstairs hallway
--yard work (mowing, weeding, potted plants--DH will help with this)

I have to get the house looking nice because my Dad's 70th birthday party is this weekend. That is part of the reason I am so annoyed the construction is still going on. I didn't think it would be an issue when our contractor started three months ago...and yet, here we are! At least DH told him that he needs to be invisible for the party--the yard needs to be cleaned up, and all his stuff needs to be in the one room he is working on--not spread all over the house.

danna
5-15-11, 1:28pm
Kat gald you came back to post here, I had forgotten this challenge...lol
Been busy weeding outside and cleaning up out there.
Really need to do some more in the house it is rainy and cooler today so I have been busy cooking, really need to get to the 5 rooms I haven't done yet.
Only 2 weeks left of this month...........

babr
5-18-11, 8:55am
went through our camping items for my upcoming camp trip; trying to organize as others had suggested on the organization forum; this was a big help

Kat
5-19-11, 10:47am
Well, I haven't gotten as much done as I need to this week, so it looks like the next couple of days are going to be pretty busy!

I did get the carpet shampooed, and I managed to clean and organize the office. Our spare bedroom is about half done. I'll need to get to the rest of the house today and tomorrow and will leave the outdoor work and the bathroom for Saturday (the day of the party).

babr
5-20-11, 1:36pm
found a shelf in a closet that had all sorts of junk and things that didn't belong there; so it felt great to clear that out! i sure love the easy stuff; its parting with crap that you aren't going to use but can't bring yourself to let go of

Kat
5-20-11, 2:46pm
Good job, guys!

Yesterday I cleaned the bedroom and the spare bedroom. Donated a bunch of stuff that needed to go.

Today:

--Weeded, swept down the sidewalk and porch, staked some bleeding hearts, filled squirrel feeders, and hung a flowering basket
--Cleaned entryway and half of the sunroom
--vacuumed stairs and cleaned landing
--Put out summer decor
--in laws came over to finish painting in the kitchen

Left for tonight and tomorrow:

Washing the deck and bringing out furniture (if it doesn't rain)
finish cleaning the sunroom (have to wait for DH to move the baby furniture before I can do that)
clean bathroom
clean hallway

Florence
5-20-11, 3:37pm
Oh boy, I need this thread! I recently retired and finally have some time to clean out and organize.

I am cleaning out folders in my filing drawer. Have found warranties on things that we haven't had in ages.

The other day I cleaned out our medicine cabinet and threw out an inhaler that expired in 1999...:|( That was the oldest item but far from the only expired med there...and I was a pharmacist...:|(

Mrs-M
5-20-11, 3:53pm
Cheering everyone on! Great job you guys!!! With the warm weather here now we've been so busy outside I haven't had a chance to tackle anything more in the house, usually the case come spring/summer, but it's great (as always) reading about everyone's successes.

Kat
5-22-11, 7:23am
We did get the rest of the house finished before the party, and it looks great! When the nursery is done, I will have more work to do! But until, then our main living spaces are as good as we can get them. I could probably do with a little more yard work (trimming, plant more flowers, etc.) and cleaning the basement (purging, disinfecting DH's gym, etc.). I also have a spare closet to go through that is so packed full of stuff it's crazy. But DH and I really need to do that together, so I am not sure when we'll get to that. We have been working so hard. I think next week we'll take off. I have family in town and would rather spend that time with them!

ktiffin17
6-3-11, 9:31am
Thought I'd continue the April challenge since the construction lasted much longer than expected and prevented me from getting much done.

Yesterday my in-laws came over and helped me clean up the front yard. We weeded, trimmed hedges, and spread out some mulch. We also swept down the sides of the house, the front stairs, and the sidewalked. I still have some work to do, but what a difference!

I am supposed to be able to move back into my kitchen this weekend (although this is like the millionth time I have been promised this). If I am, I will have my work cut out for me as every surface and every object will need to be cleaned before I can put it back. Kind of a daunting task, but I think it will feel great when everything is clean and in its place.

How are the rest of you coming along?

Coming along pretty well. My husband and I were able to finish the garage yesterday! That was a huge victory. All that's really left is an upstairs closet, some landscaping and my little boy's room. He has a woodtoybox (http://www.woodtoybox.com) that is overflowing with Ninja Turtle and Power Rangers. I guess we need to do some organizing there. :)

Stella
6-3-11, 10:21am
I have decided to hire out some of my spring cleaning. I think the week of vacation bible school I am going to have my friend who does house cleaning come and help out. The girls will be gone all day and I am going to hire a teenager to come help with the younger kids.