PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices dropping.

dmc
7-4-17, 1:40pm
I noticed gas prices were a little lower. I filled the wife's car up and the price was 2.03. That's not a big drop, it seems to have been around 2.15 or so for quite a while. I don't really pay that much attention to the price of car gas. The fuel for the plane has been either 2.99 or 3.72, depending on where I buy it for the last year.

so I guess we still have a few years to peak oil.

pinkytoe
7-4-17, 2:01pm
I guess that's why there are so many huge trucks on the road again. We have short memories.

Williamsmith
7-4-17, 2:33pm
Our local gas prices are between 2.49 to 2.53. Just across the state line in Ohio it is 2.05. The difference is Pennsylvanias state gasoline tax. So I drive over to Ohio and buy my gasoline, lottery tickets, alcoholic beverages and bike and dine out there often. Duh?

Tradd
7-4-17, 3:07pm
Here in the Chicago area I'm paying about $2.30 outside of Cook County. Crook has its own gas tax on top of state and fed, which is crazy. I usually buy my gas outside of Cook (where I live).

I'm happy with the lower gas prices. I'm driving hundreds of miles a week extra due to diving.

bae
7-4-17, 3:28pm
Instead of a Tesla (the boring choice) I just bought a 4-door sedan with a 6.2L supercharged Hemi engine, developing 707 hp and 650 ft-lb of torque as-delivered from the factory. Top speed is 205mph, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, 11.0 second quarter-mile times.

On a 5000 mile road trip started the day I bought it, which included ~1500 miles of rather boring break-in driving, I achieved 22.6 mpg. With several passengers, and a trunk full of the entire contents of a recent-model Subaru Outback that had been packed for the road trip. Which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

It's a great time to be into fast cars - there are so many ~500hp+ options right off-the-shelf, for reasonable amounts of money.

Rogar
7-4-17, 4:17pm
Ever since we broke out of the three and four dollar a gallon gas it's seemed like a bargain. We might be down a dime or two and it's even summer when they ramp up prices. I've never had a fancy car urge, but could see going retro with an old Chevy Bel Air for a town car. There is a company called ICON Derelicts in California that takes vintage cars and completely rebuilds nearly everything, but retains the rust and patina of an old beater. That's my car fantasy. They are very expensive. Here is a short video of their history from Car and Driver magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIh1Sm4DyAE

A long road trip in a big muscle car is not without some vague attraction.

Alan
7-4-17, 5:16pm
I'm in the midst of a lengthy road trip at the moment in our 9 mpg motorhome. We left Ohio on the 1st, heading west until we hit the ocean, where we'll turn right until approximately Oregon and then a final right turn for the return trip. Gasoline prices have been anywhere between a low of $1.89 somewhere in Oklahoma and a high (so far) of $2.29 in the Albuquerque NM area.
The lower fuel prices of the past several years has definitely increased our cruising range. Cross-country trips will be few and far between if we jump back up to those $4.00 per gallon prices.

dmc
7-4-17, 6:05pm
We will be trading cars soon. The wife will probably get a Lincoln SUV, and I'm leaning towards the BMW M6 convertible.

neither gets great gas mileage, but who cares.

Of coarse gas will shoot up to $5.00 a gallon after I buy.

Tammy
7-4-17, 6:15pm
We sold the jeep and bought a chevy volt. It's $1.25 to charge it fully which gives us 40 miles. When we drive on gas it gets 40 mpg. But we only full once every 4-6 weeks.

I like clean air. No emissions. Wind, nuclear, and dams provide a lot of our electricity in Arizona.

Williamsmith
7-4-17, 6:32pm
We sold the jeep and bought a chevy volt. It's $1.25 to charge it fully which gives us 40 miles. When we drive on gas it gets 40 mpg. But we only full once every 4-6 weeks.

I like clean air. No emissions. Wind, nuclear, and dams provide a lot of our electricity in Arizona.

In Arizona I imagine you use your air conditioner a lot.

Tradd
7-4-17, 7:25pm
I get about 33 mph in my Focus. I've been thinking about trading up to an Escape SUV once this car is paid off, but the lack of car payments and the good gas mileage to keep costs down are a huge draw.

SteveinMN
7-4-17, 7:50pm
Still piloting my Volkswagen diesel. 40-42 city; 52-55 highway. Paid for, not rusty, barely broken in. It needs a little work (radio that I don't listen to doesn't pull in many stations, etc.). Diesel fluctuates in price but lately has been within a quarter or so of regular unleaded. Likely the last car I'll ever have to own. Fine by me. I still like it. :)

Tammy
7-5-17, 12:30am
Yes - AC is on most of the year.

We're thinking of incorporating solar panels into a shade structure in our backyard ... to help with electricity that doesn't have emissions.

Tammy
7-5-17, 12:31am
Or maybe you meant AC in the car? That is also a yes. A charge lasts 30-35 miles instead of 40 when it's really hot.

Yppej
7-5-17, 4:40am
The lower gas prices are helping me not only with transportation but also home heating, airline travel, and even food. So much of our economy is based on petroleum. I think it is helping keep employment high outside the oil and gas industry.

catherine
7-5-17, 7:08am
I don't pay much attention to the gas prices as I get 48 mpg, and also, I don't commute to work. My personal gas bill is about $30 a month. If I have to drive to the airport, or to Philadelphia for research, I might have to buy another tank of gas, but just for personal use, it's not a major consideration on my budget at all.

Alan, have a great time on your RV trip!! I love road trips. Report back and tell us about your experiences out West!

dmc
7-5-17, 8:43am
I use about 1200 gal of fuel a year in the plane and about 600 gal in the cars. I don't drive near as much since I moved and no longer work. So the price of fuel does not effect me. But it is nevertheless nice to spend less.

Im sure it helps those on a tighter budget.

ToomuchStuff
7-5-17, 9:08am
I guess that's why there are so many huge trucks on the road again. We have short memories.

Has there really been a change? I see lots of big trucks still, but instead of delivering to local stores, they are simply delivering from warehouse type stores or places like Amazon. I know there was one group, who had a push to be closed on Saturday, and instead now have Sunday deliveries, and both their fuel costs went up, and the replacement vehicles they are looking at, are not big enough.

jp1
7-5-17, 9:57am
We only drive about 3,000 miles/year so gas prices aren't a huge impact on my budget one way or the other. That said, anytime we go away for the weekend we always stop at the Arco station on the southbound 101 in Marin county because gas there is always about 30 cents cheaper than any other station in the area. Last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when we went to a friend's for a barbecue and I think we paid $2.59.

Prices will probably remain cheap until the saudis give up on trying to drive the oil fracking boom in America out of business.

SteveinMN
7-5-17, 10:42am
Has there really been a change? I see lots of big trucks still, but instead of delivering to local stores, they are simply delivering from warehouse type stores or places like Amazon.
I suspect pinkytoe is referring to "full-size" (who determined that?) pickup trucks and larger SUVs rather than delivery trucks. Chrysler is no longer offering their Dart and 200 because they just didn't sell, and Ford is looking at moving manufacturing of their Focus compact from Michigan to China (the smaller Fiesta and larger Fusion are already built OUS) because people aren't buying them; they're buying F150s and Edges. Light trucks get far better fuel mileage than they did. But with the price of gasoline historically low, people are reverting to old buying patterns.

Williamsmith
7-5-17, 10:50am
We only drive about 3,000 miles/year so gas prices aren't a huge impact on my budget one way or the other. That said, anytime we go away for the weekend we always stop at the Arco station on the southbound 101 in Marin county because gas there is always about 30 cents cheaper than any other station in the area. Last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when we went to a friend's for a barbecue and I think we paid $2.59.

Prices will probably remain cheap until the saudis give up on trying to drive the oil fracking boom in America out of business.

I would be pleased to see the fracking business pick up. Pennsylvania is poised to gather a windfall tax from all the wells that have been drilled and capped. There are signs that the fracking industry is preparing the transportation network that would make this profitable. Perfect timing to help Pennsylvania get a grip on their government funding crisis and great for the economy.

Tybee
7-5-17, 10:56am
Williamsmith, are you not concerned about the impact of fracking on your state's water?

Alan
7-5-17, 11:27am
Alan, have a great time on your RV trip!! I love road trips. Report back and tell us about your experiences out West!
Yesterday we were at Petrified Forest National Park when my wife snapped this pic for Facebook. She tagged it as "My view of Arizona".

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19665234_10209607606282282_2514182512911943965_n.j pg?oh=1964f78b8408db39fa639daacb4c8adc&oe=5A0BB233

catherine
7-5-17, 12:17pm
Great picture!! I've never been, but my son and husband went once--they brought me back a souvenir piece of petrified rock which I still have on my dresser.

Williamsmith
7-5-17, 1:09pm
Williamsmith, are you not concerned about the impact of fracking on your state's water?

I am concerned about the impact of anything which may compromise the water supply, of course. There has been no substantitive research that has resulted in a determination that fracking causes systemic or widespread impact in the quality of the water supply. There have been high profile isolated instances where this has occurred but lacking a pre drilling baseline it is impossible to tell exactly what happened.

But there are many other threats to the water supply that are occurring right now.....agricultural runoff and covering the absorption surface area with new housing developments such as roofing, paving and non permeable ground cover.....to name two. The overuse of the local water aquifer compared to its annual replenishment.....to name another.

There are plenty of benefits to the natural gas boom. Not the least of which is the reduction of CO2 emissions by huge percentages as the reliance on coal fueled electricity is negated. As well, the owners of rural property are enjoying huge financial gains and against all predictions....rural land is more valuable than ever causing mortgage defaults to become even rarer.

Our Department of Natural Resources has an enforcement division which should serve to protect the water as it does in other threats that I mentioned. To shun this resource would be a step toward "involuntary simplicity". So far, people have been unwilling to give up their air conditioning, refrigeration, gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, airplanes, electricity, food, childbearing and home building ......voluntarily. You can't do this all without affordable energy.

ApatheticNoMore
7-5-17, 1:31pm
they could regulate it more, they could disclose the chemicals used, they could limit pollution or force clean up. They don't BECAUSE CORRUPTION. That's really all there is to it.

It has nothing to do with air conditioning, and electricity, and etc.. Although that all may indeed be unsustainable, that's just a distraction from actually regulating this stuff properly it's all: "don't look here, look at that over there!", meanwhile ...

Global carbon may be a difficult problem, clean water is not, it's just about policy to actually have it.

pinkytoe
7-5-17, 1:42pm
Yes, I was referring to passenger trucks in this instance. Since we moved to Colorado, we notice a lot of really large, very expensive trucks on the road, ex Ford F-350 I guess because payments are affordable and gas is cheap. At the same time, one reads that the sub prime auto loan market is problematic.

Tammy
7-5-17, 2:51pm
You're in my state Alan! Enjoy. It's beautiful.

Yppej
7-7-17, 5:00am
Years ago when my natural gas water heater broke I looked at various options. Solar wasn't feasible due to the orientation of my roof, and operational costs were the same with oil, so rather than pay to change over the piping I stayed with what I had and I regret it. Natural gas is provided by a monopoly utility that is constantly raising prices whereas oil is a competitive marketplace with many local dealers and prices have fallen over the years. Electric by the same utility is exorbitant and the worst way to go in my area.

dmc
1-11-19, 4:38am
Gas is under $2.00 again. How low can it go? I even paid $2.66 a gallon to fill the plane yesterday. That’s the lowest I’ve ever paid. I’m going down to Key West on Sunday and the round trip will only cost me $80 in fuel.

sweetana3
1-11-19, 6:10am
We got down to $1.87 and in one day it is back to $2.15 most places. (except for two independents who are fighting it out for customers at one intersection. One there is 1.84 and the other is 1.89.)

Teacher Terry
1-11-19, 9:39am
Low gas here is still over 3.

Lainey
1-11-19, 10:45am
Paid $2.43 at Costco this week here in Phoenix. Gas station across the street is charging $2.65.
I haven't seen that big of a price spread between Costco and regular gas station for a long time - makes me wonder how Costco handles their bulk gas purchases. I'm sure there has to be some contract price for a certain period.
I know it's a huge thing for aviation - it's a high-risk game of "do I lock in at x price" or do I wait a little longer and hold out for something better knowing it could possible get worse? I wouldn't want that job, where a difference of pennies per gallon can make or break profit on an already slim profit margin business.

rosarugosa
1-11-19, 1:32pm
Our last fill-up was $2.55 per gallon.

Williamsmith
1-11-19, 4:50pm
I slip over the state line into Ohio for gas that is on average 60 cents cheaper. The Governor here thinks that he can reach into the citizens pockets any chance he gets. Well, just because the Commonwealth is so large that you can’t drive through it without stopping for gas , he’s taking advantage of non residents. The residents have other ideas. Same goes for alcoholic beverages. Much cheaper across the border.

JaneV2.0
1-11-19, 7:04pm
The last time I paid any attention to gas prices, they were 29 cents a gallon. :cool:
"It is what it is" was never more apt.

Gardnr
1-12-19, 10:51am
$2.39 here. I don't drive a lot as my work commute is just 13m roundtrip. There was a $0.50 drop between fill-ups!

mschrisgo2
1-12-19, 9:54pm
$3.25 in the San Francisco east bay area today...

ApatheticNoMore
1-13-19, 10:52am
3.05 is the cheapest here, but you'll wait in line trying to get the cheapest gas in town. $3.50-$3.60 is more typical. I don't really care, our roads will get funded, and there should be an incentive to conservation. I can't say I'm lucky enough to have a short commute, but I did buy a fuel efficient car so that I wouldn't have to sweat it too much.

dmc
1-13-19, 5:42pm
Paid $1.99 today. Paid $6.50 for avgas, but that was to waive the parking fee at Key West. I had to buy 7 gallons to avoid the ramp fee of $29.

So prices are good down here.

Tradd
1-14-19, 7:40am
I live on the Cook County and Lake County, IL border. Crook has ridiculous gas prices due to a separate county gas tax. $2.12 near me. 10 min up the road in Lake County? $1.86.

HappyHiker
1-14-19, 5:08pm
Now $2.03 at local gas station in Eastern coastal North Carolina...on 1/14/19

bae
1-14-19, 5:58pm
It was $4.03 when I filled up today.

HappyHiker
1-14-19, 9:04pm
It was $4.03 when I filled up today.

Ah, the joys of island living...

jp1
1-16-19, 10:40pm
According to gasbuddy the cheap station we always go to up in Marin COunty is at $2.89 currently. I think we paid $2.79 last time we filled up there on new years day. Except for SO making a work trip down to SFO area today and me making a trip to Costco the weekend after new years we haven't driven anywhere else, so we probably still have 3/4 of the tank we bought, so like Jane we don't worry too much about the cost.

mschrisgo2
2-25-19, 4:48pm
Gas was $2.89 at Costco in Concord, California yesterday, 2/24/19.

catherine
2-25-19, 5:03pm
Gas was $2.89 at Costco in Concord, California yesterday, 2/24/19.

$2.35 here in Central Jersey. I'm getting stingy with my gas consumption, even though I have a Prius because I really want the car to last for another few years. DH loves joyrides, and I'll go with him, but I like it when he uses his car. I try to use my car on an as-needed basis only. That means I fill it up maybe twice a month. I get almost 500 miles on a gallon of gas, and I try to stay well below 1000 miles a month.

Alan
2-25-19, 6:53pm
I get almost 500 miles on a gallon of gas....
Just in case that's not a typo....Wow!

Alan
2-25-19, 7:04pm
$2.35 here in Central Jersey. I'm getting stingy with my gas consumption, even though I have a Prius because I really want the car to last for another few years. DH loves joyrides, and I'll go with him, but I like it when he uses his car. I try to use my car on an as-needed basis only. That means I fill it up maybe twice a month. Now that I'm retired, I fill up my car maybe once per month. My wife's daily commute is under 10 miles and her tank is smaller than mine so she fills up about every 3 weeks or so.
I've realized recently that our Kroger Rewards Points allow us to consistently fill up at nearly a $1.00 discount every time. My last fill-up, several weeks ago, cost me $1.18 per gallon.

Yppej
2-25-19, 7:04pm
Prices are increasing now in my area.

catherine
2-25-19, 7:13pm
Just in case that's not a typo....Wow!

Haha!! It is a typo!! I meant 500 miles on a tank

When I drive to Grand Isle from New Jersey (350 miles) I do it on one fill-up and I have gas left over.

Lainey
3-1-19, 9:02am
I think my most recent Costco fill-up here in Phx was $2.31/gallon.

jp1
3-2-19, 7:52pm
I've realized recently that our Kroger Rewards Points allow us to consistently fill up at nearly a $1.00 discount every time. My last fill-up, several weeks ago, cost me $1.18 per gallon.

Dang. Either their rewards program is really generous or you're eating steak every night!

Alan
3-2-19, 8:18pm
Dang. Either their rewards program is really generous or you're eating steak every night!Tonight it was tenderloin steaks. Yum!

bae
3-2-19, 8:18pm
I just filled up my pickup today, $4.00/gallon.

jp1
3-3-19, 8:56am
Tonight it was tenderloin steaks. Yum!

Nice. Our cats LOVE steak night. Perhaps even more than they love tuna salad night.

Tradd
3-3-19, 10:18am
I drove to Ann Arbor Friday afternoon for the Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival. Gas was about $2.45 in the Chicago area, around $2.25 in Indiana, and Michigan prices the same as IL When did that happen? Usually Michigan prices have been around the same as Indiana.

My new Escape was fabulous for the drive (about 4.5 hours each way). Very comfortable. Got pretty good mileage. It's just over 3K miles now, so it's hardly broken in!

razz
3-3-19, 2:09pm
Just filled up at $3.65/US gallon which is one of the lowest prices around southern Ontario. Elsewhere gas costs over $4/US gallon.

dmc
3-14-20, 2:40pm
At least gas prices are down. Just no where to go.

razz
3-14-20, 2:51pm
OK, help me understand the issues here please. I am totally confused. Is Putin trying to argue with OPEC or the Saudis or ? What constitutes a winner in this p!ssing match and at what cost to the world already reeling from the Covid 19?

Yppej
3-14-20, 3:00pm
$2.05 a gallon, self-serve in the hood, cash only for about a week now. Loving it!

Alan
3-14-20, 3:00pm
OK, help me understand the issues here please. I am totally confused. Is Putin trying to argue with OPEC or the Saudis or ? What constitutes a winner in this p!ssing match and at what cost to the world already reeling from the Covid 19?It looks to me like a market share war, the Saudis are willing to sell below cost for some period of time to drive others out of the business.

Gardnr
3-14-20, 6:18pm
Up $0.25 in the recent 10 days! $2.53 for regular and $3.03 for what my car drinks.

Alan
3-14-20, 7:30pm
$1.94 for regular locally and $2.51 for the diesel my truck craves.

jp1
3-20-20, 11:06pm
$2.65 on Kauai today. That’s crazy cheap for here and $.40 cheaper than what we paid on Maui 4 days ago. And the maui purchase was at Costco, the cheapest place on the island by at least $.10.

Looking on GasBuddy the cheapest place at home is down to $2.79. We paid $3.19 there 5 or 6 weeks ago when I last bought gas. Maybe Sunday, after we get home, I’ll go fill up. We still have just under half a tank but that’s such a bargain price. I can’t remember it being cheaper in the five years I’ve owned a car.

Yppej
3-21-20, 7:12am
Home heating oil is going down steeply also. I made the mistake of prepaying this year and the company, which in the past honored the lower of the contract or daily price, won't this year. Price gouging at a time like this is reprehensible. I have half a tank I am hoping will last until May 1st at which time I can get a refund of my credit balance and go elsewhere. If I go elsewhere now I have to pay an early termination fee of several hundred dollars. If you aren't stuck in a contract fill up your tank while it's cheap.

Tradd
3-21-20, 12:36pm
$1.85 here in suburban Chicago. Can’t remember when it was last this cheap.

ApatheticNoMore
3-21-20, 3:00pm
$3.50 ish a gallon here yesterday.

sweetana3
3-21-20, 3:02pm
$1.73 here in Indy yesterday. Car is filled up with no where to go. Wish our friends in SC on long winter vacation would come home. Worried about them. Their very nice son checked on us.

Tybee
3-21-20, 4:19pm
1.65 in Northern Michigan at the lowest priced station, on up.

jp1
4-3-20, 7:22am
The president apparently talked to his good buddy Mohammed Bone Saw yesterday and now oil prices are up 25%. A nice win for the American people who were getting frustrated with low gas prices.

dmc
4-3-20, 7:45am
I’m sure those American oil field workers are more worried about their jobs than saving a few pennies at the pump. I like low prices as much as the next guy, but I don’t mind paying a fair price to keep people working.

There are some here that would like to raise taxes on gas to keep people from using as much. Seem like some are never happy.

frugal-one
4-3-20, 11:48am
$1.49/gallon here.... big deal.... can't go or do much.

jp1
4-3-20, 12:10pm
Personally I'd look at the number of American oil field workers vs. the number of American gas consumers before deciding whether a "jobs program" for the former paid for by the latter was worthwhile.

Alan
4-3-20, 12:22pm
Personally I'd look at the number of American oil field workers vs. the number of American gas consumers before deciding whether a "jobs program" for the former paid for by the latter was worthwhile.
I'm wondering how a market share war between Russia and Saudi Arabia and the subsequent price swings that causes is the fault of the American government. Can you explain?

jp1
4-3-20, 1:33pm
I'm wondering how a market share war between Russia and Saudi Arabia and the subsequent price swings that causes is the fault of the American government. Can you explain?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-stocks-soar-after-president-trumps-tweet-of-coming-saudi-russia-production-cuts-2020-04-02

Alan
4-3-20, 2:10pm
There seems to be a little bit more to it than that. https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/news/power-line-sunrun-layoffs-oil-tsunami-absolutely-no-one-wants-2020-4-1029063473

Edited to add: You may have to copy and paste the link to make it work.

Teacher Terry
4-3-20, 3:11pm
I haven't filled my gas tank for over a month so no clue abut prices.

mschrisgo2
4-4-20, 2:21am
$2.44 at Costco on 4/1/2020. Antioch CA

dmc
4-4-20, 6:45am
It’s $1.60 in SW Florida.

Tybee
4-5-20, 11:12am
Paid 1.31 in No. michigan although in our big town nearby was 40 cents higher.

dmc
11-19-20, 6:46am
Gas is still cheap, I paid $1.83 the other day.

I wonder where they will be during the next administration.

happystuff
11-19-20, 10:21am
It looked like they were dropping here, but it didn't even last a week as the price has gone up again. Never went below $2 at my regular gas station, which tends to be one of the cheaper ones in the area.

Gardnr
11-19-20, 10:44am
$2.16 here. The lowest yet this year. I can't imagine seeing under $2 again.

jp1
11-19-20, 1:54pm
The cheapest place here is currently at $2.77. I think I paid $2.73 12 days ago. The cheapest I can remember in recent memory was $2.58.

mschrisgo2
11-20-20, 12:46pm
Paid $2.39 at Costco in Stockton CA on Monday.
When you consider that 94 cents of that is California taxes, that’s a pretty low gas price.

early morning
11-20-20, 2:45pm
$1.57 here today. We don't drive a lot now, so gas prices don't impact us as they would have a year ago.

Yppej
11-20-20, 5:18pm
Prices have stayed the same for months where I am. I wish they would drop. There is not even a penny variance.

JakeSilva231
1-4-21, 4:15am
It seems to me that so far there is no reason to believe that gasoline should get cheaper!

dmc
1-4-21, 6:00am
It’s still around $2.00 here. We will see what happens with the new administration. I’m guessing that prices are going up.

Yppej
1-4-21, 7:27am
Gas has already started going up where I am.

Teacher Terry
1-4-21, 9:36am
Our gas is more expensive than many places but in non Covid times I use one tank per month at 35.

happystuff
1-4-21, 10:13am
It has been going up for the last 2-3 months around my area.