PDA

View Full Version : How bad is your morning commute?

bae
7-21-17, 9:19pm
Mine's dreadful, if I have to leave the house to work at the office. ~20 miles, so much traffic, and I can rarely get about 40mph the whole way.

And in the winter I need to wear a survival suit. (Well, actually, 3 seasons out of 4).

https://youtu.be/a23aki_JscM

Gardnr
7-21-17, 9:24pm
12 minutes. 18 on a BAD day:cool: 6.5miles each way. I average 85miles/week on my car.

herbgeek
7-21-17, 9:26pm
2 seconds? from the kitchen to the dining room.

SteveinMN
7-21-17, 9:42pm
My commute was about 30 minutes, but that's only because I wanted a run long enough to fully warm up the car. It was possible to make the trip in 12 minutes under the best conditions. Before I moved to this side of town, however, the drive was 45 minutes long at best -- and nasty weather and rush hour would push it past two hours. :treadmill:

Lainey
7-21-17, 9:46pm
Previously was 11 miles each way, about 30 minutes door to door if traffic was normal.

I read somewhere once that about 30 minutes or less is definitely doable for the average person, but any longer it gets stressful and increasingly miserable. Definitely a factor in a relative's recent decision to quit a job (she had a one hour commute each way) in favor of one just 5 minutes from her house. Moral: companies should consider geography and traffic patterns when locating their new headquarters. (she said others had quit or were not applying for positions due to this building's out of the way location, even though the building was new and they offered lots of trendy amenities.)

bae
7-21-17, 10:35pm
This commute just skirts the US/Canada border. In a region with high smuggling traffic.

I get stopped quite frequently by various agencies. They are usually quite professional and thorough.

I once got stopped by 4 different agencies along my route during a single trip (USCG, DEA, CBP, and Fish & Wildlife), which blew my 15 minute "slack time" I built into my schedule completely out of the water. None of them beat me or waterboarded me though. When I used to make this run in my larger vessel, the stops would take longer, which is one of the reasons I switched vessels. Plus this one goes considerably faster on far less fuel.

Tammy
7-22-17, 12:04am
Nice video Bae.

I drive 3 miles one way along an older side street. Unless I go to the other location and then it's 20 minutes on the highway.

Yppej
7-22-17, 5:57am
Where I am now it has ranged from 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours. Summer is better because there are no school buses, people are on vacation and not driving during morning rush hour, and there is no snow or ice. If I get to work 20+ minutes early I take a walk.

goldensmom
7-22-17, 7:04am
When I was employed out of the home, I had a 45 mile commute of which the first 8 miles were gravel/blacktop roads until I got to an expressway. Traffic was not a problem but deer crossings, snow and ice in the winter and fog anytime of year were the hazards I faced Timewise it took from 1 to 1-½ hours to get to work. So glad that part of my life is over. Now I let the dogs out and make coffee.

catherine
7-22-17, 7:14am
bae, I'll take your commute over bumper to bumper on Route 1 (except in the winter, when I would probably prefer the mode of transport with the heater). As it is now, my commute is down the stairs and into my home office.

nswef
7-22-17, 9:17am
I, too, have no commute now, but when I worked it was 30 minutes, my husband dropped me off and it took him 15 more minutes to get to his work. Friday afternoons it would take him 45 minutes to get to me but still only 30 more minutes to our house because we took back roads. This was 17 years ago and the traffic has gotten much worse in the main town. It takes 40 minutes to get where it used to take 30 and even more for the rest of the jaunt. We contended with some snow but as teachers the schools were often closed when it was bad in the later part of our careers. Early on there was lots of driving home or to work in the snow- I'm still chicken.

sweetana3
7-22-17, 11:01am
After my husband having a 30-45 minute commute in Raleigh NC, when we moved back he asked for the shortest commute possible. We found a house that was 1.5 miles from his office and 5 blocks from my former one. It was a good choice because I decided to go back to work to earn my pension and just walked to work. It was a good time to buy downtown which has now exploded in value and desirability. But we did it when it was still a questionable choice to many who still wanted to live in the suburbs.

ToomuchStuff
7-22-17, 11:11am
If I am not picking anything up on the way in, 15 minutes, typically going the other direction from most traffic, not during rush hour.

ApatheticNoMore
7-22-17, 11:14am
It's an hour, about 16.5 miles.

Tybee
7-22-17, 11:38am
I just go downstairs, since I work at home.

Teacher Terry
7-22-17, 11:51am
About the amount of time it takes me to walk around my small house since I work at home too. I love my co-workers since they are furry and have 4 legs:))

pony mom
7-22-17, 9:22pm
I have a 6 or 7 minute walk to the assisted living facility just outside my condo development. A bit rushed in the morning, but leisurely on the way home, so I take the back way along the creek.

oldhat
7-24-17, 11:58am
25-30 mins. in moderately heavy traffic through a midsize city. I could work at home as many as four days a week but still choose to come into the office every day. I like the boundaries--when I'm at work, I'm at work, and when I'm home, I'm not at work and don't call me unless something is on fire.

Float On
7-24-17, 12:04pm
Oh Bae! You have it so bad! I was kayaking the other day and they had a boat sobriety checkpoint set up on the lake!

Its 13 miles to work and I allow 20 min. for the hills and curves.

jp1
7-27-17, 3:26pm
My commute is about 30 minutes. There are a couple of spots where the trains can get bogged down so I Leave 20 minutes early if I have a meeting or call first thing that I need to be on time for. If the train tunnel is completely stopped and they have replacement buses it is an hour or more.

pinkytoe
7-27-17, 8:37pm
Retired so no more commute. Previously, about ten minutes either by bus or car on inner city streets. But then...with an influx of people...my last year at work grew to a 30 minute commute stuck in traffic each way. So stupid that there are not other transit options besides cars in most US cities.

Baldilocks
7-27-17, 11:37pm
Bad is not a good description of my commute. I ride my bike to and from work almost every day. 2 miles there, 3 miles home. (Take the long way home, Supertramp) I try to use that time for exercise, prayer and time spent out doors. I may even ride during much of this winter depending on the amount of snow or freezing rain. I almost look forward to work, so I have a reason to ride my bike.