PDA

View Full Version : A challenging morning...

bae
8-16-17, 12:03am
I was just sitting down for breakfast when....

Dump truck. Full of hot paving asphalt. Rolling over. Through a house.

Pretty much all the fun. Truck was on fire (brakes and fluids) when I arrived, driver was still trying to self-extricate (amazingly, she lived), garage/house was thinking about catching on fire, underground power line had been compromised, as was the water main.

Hours of fun in the hot sun.

How was your morning?

http://i.imgur.com/4H85nSf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jSypO1p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8IaYYyz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gcqbxgi.jpg

bae
8-16-17, 12:04am
One of my best friend's mom lives in that house. She brought us out cookies and lemonaide while we were working. Coolness under fire.

Tradd
8-16-17, 12:07am
I was wondering what happened with the people who lived in that house! Glad they are unhurt.

ToomuchStuff
8-16-17, 2:07am
One of my best friend's mom lives in that house. She brought us out cookies and lemonaide while we were working. Coolness under fire.

Just paving the way for future dealings.;)

bae
8-16-17, 3:07am
I was wondering what happened with the people who lived in that house! Glad they are unhurt.

The real miracle was that the wee village there's post office is right in the "flight path" of that truck, as was the little store across the street, and it was the mail delivery-pickup time for the small community there, with people milling around in the street, exchanging fish/crabs/jokes, and so on. Could have wiped out 1/2 the hamlet. The driver steered a pretty self-sacrificing course, there was a "better" path, but it would have killed 10-20 people.

Zoe Girl
8-16-17, 7:50am
Wow, that is a dramatic accident. Sounds like a skilled driver to avoid a much worse accident. Did they keep your breakfast warm?

pinkytoe
8-16-17, 9:01am
Just curious why the driver plowed into the house?

razz
8-16-17, 9:13am
Interesting morning to say the least. Grateful that it happened during the light hours when people could see it coming as much as is possible both for the avoidance by the driver and those in its path plus those who came to serve on the scene.

Williamsmith
8-16-17, 9:31am
I inspected commercial motor carriers under the MCSAP program and federal statutes for seven years. Must be a good downhill grade there and something wrong with the brake system. If there isn't a restriction on using this route...might here be in the future. Do you have a pulloff requiring a driver inspection prior to the downhill and could a runaway truck ramp be constructed? Looks like she tried to miss the house by turning left and rolled it over.

Tybee
8-16-17, 9:32am
This is why I always reject houses that are real close to the street. I like a lawn buffer between me and that truck.

happystuff
8-17-17, 6:38am
All I can say is "wow"!!!!

Float On
8-17-17, 10:02am
Wow. We also had some excitement in the county, we had 3 fire departments using jaws of life extracting a driver out of a car that went into a trailer. Yes, he was running from the police at the time. Yes, meth or crack was probably involved in the reason for running. 1878

bae
8-17-17, 1:24pm
I inspected commercial motor carriers under the MCSAP program and federal statutes for seven years. Must be a good downhill grade there and something wrong with the brake system. If there isn't a restriction on using this route...might here be in the future. Do you have a pulloff requiring a driver inspection prior to the downhill and could a runaway truck ramp be constructed? Looks like she tried to miss the house by turning left and rolled it over.

This is a very small road that leads down a slight slope towards the little hamlet there. It's flat for about 2 miles coming into the nearest high spot, which is about 1/4 mile from the accident sight. (Which is where the truck should have turned, the main through road to their destination intersects there). The change is elevation is pretty minimal, you could pedal a bicycle back up it without noticing it much.

The road leads into two small perpendicular roads that go along the shoreline to a few dozen homes in either direction. It's not a through route, there's no exit available.

The deputy investigating told me the driver claimed to have been lost, having gotten separated from the other two trucks in her convoy of asphalt delivery vehicles.

I am not trained in accident investigation myself, but I noticed no skid marks on the road until the spot on the road where the driver attempted to turn left, which looked like they may have been from the truck loosing traction and sliding sideways while trying to corner. That is, it didn't *look* like there was much of an attempt to brake.

The State accident investigation folks arrived the next day, but I haven't seen what they had to say yet.

My guess is that the driver was lost, flustered, looked up, saw the water right in front of her, and yanked on the steering wheel in an attempt to make the turn instead of going into the ocean.

Williamsmith
8-17-17, 2:52pm
Well that clarifies a lot. I wonder if she had Citizens Band communication with the other drivers. Definitely doesn't seem like mechanical causes. Perhaps cell phone texting or gps inattention. Looking down is the only excuse I can think of. She caused the construction company some major headaches. Might be looking for a new job...but she is alive. That hot asphalt must have a shelf life past which it won't be useful at all.

bae
8-17-17, 2:58pm
That hot asphalt must have a shelf life past which it won't be useful at all.

We messed the road up pretty bad while removing the truck, between the supports off the tow truck digging up the pavement, and the furrow we plowed with the truck itself removing it from the house, so my hope is that the County Road crew that showed up later in the day made a sweetheart deal for the material to repair the road with.

My poor friend otherwise will have a nice shiny new asphalt garden/side yard :-(

I still have to figure out how to remove the stuff from my favorite boots, which are encrusted.

It would suck to work with asphalt all day, I have decided.

http://i.imgur.com/EUEhGBu.jpg

LDAHL
8-18-17, 8:30am
How was your morning?

A Microsoft security patch corrupted our active directory domain controller, so I couldn't access some of my key applications. I took a long lunch while they fixed it.

iris lilies
8-18-17, 10:11am
Yesterday sucked here because a bunch of brothers with poor marksmanship terrorized my area. They killed one, put another in critical condition. Some sort of turf war going on.

we heard the shots and then saw the presumed shooter drive fast by our gardene, squealing tires. I reported his and his car's description to cops.

Really, 30 shots to take down two guys? They need to take gun training lessons from bae.

catherine
8-18-17, 10:22am
Yesterday sucked here because a bunch of brothers with poor marksmanship terrorized my area. They killed one, put another in critical condition. Some sort of turf war going on.

we heard the shots and then saw the presumed shooter drive fast by our gardene, squealing tires. I reported his and his car's description to cops.

Really, 30 shots to take down two guys? They need to take gun training lessons from bae.

As Rob would say, what a difference a zip code makes. I can't see bae chasing down gangstas on the island. Plus, I watch movies, and I know that it's only the bad guys that are such poor shots.

Sorry your neighborhood had to suffer that, IL.

sweetana3
8-18-17, 12:11pm
Tybee, sometimes being away from the road is not enough. We had two girls killed while sitting on a couch in their living room 100 feet from the road. A young girl driving at a high rate of speed (DUI suspected) ran right into the house and killed them. She appears in ADULT court this morning. In addition to the poor girls, the house is probably destroyed.

ToomuchStuff
8-19-17, 1:06am
I still have to figure out how to remove the stuff from my favorite boots, which are encrusted.

Kerosene!