PDA

View Full Version : Travel Eclipse Weekend

Float On
8-17-17, 3:23pm
I happen to be headed a few hours north into 100% Eclipse viewing land...not because of the Eclipse but because of an annual Lake Party and Fish Fry Homecoming Party. It's crazy the travel advisories, booked hotels, expected gas shortages, yak, yak, yak! Media really hypes things up a lot more than they use to, don't they? I'm headed north tomorrow and then extending my weekend a few days just to let the expected traffic settle down. I really hope it's not as out and out crazy as predicted and I'm almost sure it won't be, but just in case. Oh and the Eclipse glasses I ordered weeks in advance were on the list recalled of potentially counterfeit. Amazon refunded my money and told me to toss them. And just in case you are curious the convergence of the 2017 Eclipse and 2024 Eclipse will be southwest of Carbondale, IL. 1879 Make your reservations now and see what happens! (I just watched "Bloody Birthday" last night. About 3 children who were born during a full Eclipse and 10 years later go around murdering everyone they can.

catherine
8-17-17, 3:27pm
My son's 4th wedding anniversary is August 21, and he happens to be that kind of guy totally turned on by things like eclipses, so he, and DDIL, and TWO grandsons are headed town to Charleston tomorrow morning. I think it's exciting, but I don't envy him the crazy traffic.

iris lilies
8-17-17, 4:00pm
It is hard to know how much of the traffic predictions are true. The media loves its doom and gloom, and DH and I never have forgotten Their dire warnings about the Pope's visit to St. Louis and how the crowds would be practically untenable. Yeah, we stood on a downtown block with 0 people on either side of us for several feet to wave to the Pope. The mainstream media pretty much ruined that visit because people were afraid to fight the crowds That did not appear.

But granted, all of the hotels, wineries, B and B Inns, etc are full up cor the solar viewing and have been booked for months, so roads may be a ig mess.

Our investment broker invited us to an Augusta winery for lunch and viewing and I was looking forward to it until I heard the predictions for that rural highway. I cancelled, and feel that is for the best. dH is going to Europe 48 hours later, and we cant be stuck on a highway for hours and hours that day, we have things to do to get ready for his trip and later my trip.

As it is we will be able to see most of the eclipse from our patio.

catherine
8-17-17, 4:05pm
It is hard to know how much of the traffic predictions are true. The media loves its doom and gloom, and DH and I never have forgotten Their dire warnings about the Pope's visit to St. Louis and how the crowds would be practically untenable. Yeah, we stood on a downtown block with 0 people on either side of us for several feet to wave to the Pope. The mainstream media pretty much ruined that visit because people were afraid to fight the crowds at did t appear.

But granted, all of the hotels, wineries, B and B Inns, etc are full up in the solar viewing and have been booked for months.

Our investment brokerage company invited us to an Augusta winery for lunch and viewing and I was looking forward to it u til I heard the predictions for tha pt rural highway. i cancelled, and feel that is for the best. dH is going to Europe 48 hours later, and we cant be stuck on a highway for hours and hours that day, we have things to do to get ready for his trip and later my trip.

As it is we will be able to see most of the eclipse from our patio.

Yes, I thought of you when I saw the path, IL! My son actually asked my DDs best friend's parents if they could stay at their home in Charleston. If that doesn't pan out, can they call you? :).

Enjoy, and report back! I was thinking of going to Nashville or SC, especially because it's our other son's birthday on 8/20, but I hate the idea of big crowds and traffic. But I'm glad my DS39 is doing it. He'll never forget it.

CathyA
8-17-17, 4:13pm
What happens if it's cloudy? I know it will still be dark, but so much rides on the sky being clear. Personally, I won't be attending, but just appreciating the natural occurrence.........and I won't be buying any special junk associated with it.
I guess I'm a party-pooper. :~)

nswef
8-17-17, 4:41pm
Where we live will be 84% totality, but we are going on vacation to Massachusetts and it has 63%. Not good planning I guess.

JaneV2.0
8-17-17, 4:53pm
Oregon is one of the prime destinations for eclipse watchers, so my friends and family are planning to stay home. I've seen eclipses before and wouldn't stroll out to my front yard to see one again. I'm mystified that people would travel and endure gridlock for a couple of minutes of darkness (that will be endlessly shown on the teevee), but I expect the event will boost local economies.

KayLR
8-17-17, 5:33pm
The traffic is already beginning to stack up in Oregon according to reports.

bae
8-17-17, 5:35pm
I just saw some photos issued by the Oregon State Police, and the backups in some spots are 15 miles+ long already.

JaneV2.0
8-17-17, 6:05pm
I have friends who had to be on I-5 today--hope they got where they were going before gridlock set in...

KayLR
8-17-17, 6:22pm
http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article167718217.html

Simplemind
8-17-17, 6:45pm
Shelves at Costco are beginning to empty. Gas stations are running out of fuel. The trauma group I volunteer for has been asked to work PDX Monday in anticipation of flight cancelations, delays and people getting very upset. I can't wait to see the drain on emergency services and all the garbage left behind.

BikingLady
8-17-17, 6:59pm
Headed to TN for the Path of Totality! Leaving Sunday from MI and am sort of worried about the traffic on I75 which would be the shortest route. So excited really, have glasses and the cheesie shirts, iPhone case and even shoes with the eclipse on them. I know silly as it is this sounds so fun to me. Hubby thinks it all so silly. Have hotel for the second night expecting traffic leaving afterwards.

KayLR
8-17-17, 7:05pm
Shelves at Costco are beginning to empty. Gas stations are running out of fuel. The trauma group I volunteer for has been asked to work PDX Monday in anticipation of flight cancelations, delays and people getting very upset. I can't wait to see the drain on emergency services and all the garbage left behind.

:(

Simplemind
8-17-17, 7:06pm
There is a festival in Prineville. Traffic is backed up 30 miles and there is a 10 hour wait to get into the festival. I hope people don't need to pee........ PDX has people laying around on the floor looking/waiting for rides to get them into the zone. Gee, all the people who rented cars should sell the empty seats.

iris lilies
8-17-17, 7:55pm
My patio, with a glass of Cabernet, is soundIng better and better.

Gardnr
8-17-17, 10:57pm
I 15 north from Salt Lake City to the Idaho totality path is bumper to bumper already. It's nuts!

bae
8-17-17, 11:46pm
Isn't the eclipse on Monday? Why the heck are the roads backed up 3-4 days before?

Tybee
8-18-17, 5:53am
Is it so people can start a long weekend of partying? It is such a short time for such a long pre-party.

Sad Eyed Lady
8-18-17, 9:40am
I happen to be headed a few hours north into 100% Eclipse viewing land...not because of the Eclipse but because of an annual Lake Party and Fish Fry Homecoming Party. It's crazy the travel advisories, booked hotels, expected gas shortages, yak, yak, yak! Media really hypes things up a lot more than they use to, don't they? I'm headed north tomorrow and then extending my weekend a few days just to let the expected traffic settle down. I really hope it's not as out and out crazy as predicted and I'm almost sure it won't be, but just in case. Oh and the Eclipse glasses I ordered weeks in advance were on the list recalled of potentially counterfeit. Amazon refunded my money and told me to toss them. And just in case you are curious the convergence of the 2017 Eclipse and 2024 Eclipse will be southwest of Carbondale, IL. 1879 Make your reservations now and see what happens! (I just watched "Bloody Birthday" last night. About 3 children who were born during a full Eclipse and 10 years later go around murdering everyone they can.
Hey Float on, you are somewhat in the same path of totality that I am. I live about an hour or so away from Hopkinsville, KY which has been dubbed "the epicenter" for the eclipse. A friend and I are planning to drive down as close as we can get, and I am coming to believe that "close" is not going to be very near Hopkinsville at all. The path of totality is very near us, so in just a few miles we will be in that anyway. I innocently thought I would leave about 9 a.m. and drive to her house, then we would just "drive on down toward Hopkinsville."! Looks like we will be rethinking that scenerio. Maybe hours to go a few miles, take some water, snacks and gas up a few days ahead (which we have done). It is like preparing for a blizzard! The college town 25 mins. or so from me is expecting about 50,000 extra people to decend on it. Hopkinsville is saying maybe 100,000 - they have been preparing for this for years I have heard. Hotel rooms and campgrounds are booked, and I imagine traffic will start today or this afternoon. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Everyone stay safe in the heavy traffic.

JaneV2.0
8-18-17, 9:48am
http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article167718217.html

I guarantee some of these towns will be overwhelmed if the crowd decides to stop for provisions, as a work crew I was on once did in Maupin. :help:

Float On
8-18-17, 9:55am
Well so far no gas spike in Branson, MO. I filled up for $2.09 on my way to work this morning. I think it's supposed to be 93-94% totality here. Traffic was fine at 8:30 a.m. I'll try to post tonight when I get to the farm, I plan to leave work by 1 p.m. It's usually about a 4.5 hour drive for me but I plan to make a few stops along the way. I have route options but 1-44 on a Friday to Lebanon is usually busy and accident ridden. 65 straight up through Sedalia has the state fair going on and that's crazy from state fair traffic. I usually go up through Lake of the Ozarks and our state capital Jeff City which is expecting a huge amount of people this weekend, then on through Columbia to the farm. I'm hoping I avoid some of the traffic by leaving at 1....but maybe everyone else is doing that too! Wish me luck!

CathyA
8-18-17, 10:01am
It's all so silly, but predictable.

iris lilies
8-18-17, 10:07am
It's all so silly, but predictable.why is it silly, to be excited about a major natural phenomena, and want to experience it?

catherine
8-18-17, 10:16am
why is it silly, to be excited about a major natural phenomena, and want to experience it?

In 1986, my school-age kids were 6 and 8, and the school sponsored a field trip to see Halley's Comet.

The bus left at 3am and travelled an hour to Sandy Hook, NJ to get the best view of it. They still remember it. In fact, the son who was 8 at the time is now probably passing through DC on his way to the eclipse. I think if you're up for adventures like that, why not?

Sad Eyed Lady
8-18-17, 11:34am
It's all so silly, but predictable.
Well, I think part of it is the people and events around you - the whole phenomenon. I could stay where I am and be in the eclipse, but drive (what should be an hour or so away) and be in the middle of the "hoopla". I know that's not for everyone, but for some it is.

catherine
8-18-17, 12:02pm
My son just got through DC and he said it's already bumper to bumper on I-95.

Float On
8-18-17, 12:07pm
My son just got through DC and he said it's already bumper to bumper on I-95.

Ick.

JaneV2.0
8-18-17, 1:08pm
I guess for the hoopla, and bragging rights--"I sat in traffic for 36 hours!" "Then the clouds rolled in!"
Maybe that's when you know you're old--when the hoopla isn't enough.

KayLR
8-18-17, 1:34pm
I guess for the hoopla, and bragging rights--"I sat in traffic for 36 hours!" "Then the clouds rolled in!"

:laff:

catherine
8-18-17, 1:41pm
Check out this map. I'm really praying hard that my son doesn't travel 12 hours to NOT be able to see 100% eclipse through the clouds, when he could have easily been able to see 75% eclipse in a cloudless sky at home.

CathyA
8-18-17, 2:15pm

LOL Jane.....maybe that's my problem.

I've never been into crowds. And I've see all the "stuff" being made for this event, and all the consumption and the gasoline and the travel, etc., etc.....and that bothers me. If you can see it from your house or close to it, to me that's fine.....but to become part of a huge hoard of people running to see this........well, it bothers me.

I live in the woods. I see things that are awe-inspiring to me and special every day. I would hope that most people do the same.....before and after they run to this "event".
Yes, it's a once in a lifetime thing. But so are so many other experiences in nature, in each moment. I saw Hall-Bopp from my yard every night for a month. I will never forget.
I don't mean to put down the people on this forum who are going, because they tend to be aware of their actions and effects on nature/environment..........but the massive treks that so many people are making, creating problems, consuming, polluting, etc.........well, that bothers me. I hope for all the tens of thousands of people who are making these trips, it helps them become more aware of how precious and fragile
our planet/universe is.

Tybee
8-18-17, 2:16pm
I know, that would be rough, to travel all that time and then be thwarted--but won't it get dark anyway? I am having problems visualizing this, I guess, the whole "path of totality"-- I just checked and we are at about 75%.

Alan
8-18-17, 2:34pm
Expecting 91% coverage locally at 2:29pm. I have a conference call at 2:30 dammit!

CathyA
8-18-17, 2:34pm
I know, that would be rough, to travel all that time and then be thwarted--but won't it get dark anyway? I am having problems visualizing this, I guess, the whole "path of totality"-- I just checked and we are at about 75%.

Yes, they would experience the darkness (as in the night)....just couldn't see the moon/sun.

I wonder if it will get a little dark in places a ways off (like 200 miles?).

CathyA
8-18-17, 2:35pm
Expecting 91% coverage locally at 2:29pm. I have a conference call at 2:30 dammit!

Can you take it outside? Reschedule?

catherine
8-18-17, 2:45pm
Can you take it outside? Reschedule?

Yeah, come on Alan! It only lasts 2 1/2 minutes! Just be a couple of minutes late!

Alan
8-18-17, 2:57pm
Yeah, come on Alan! It only lasts 2 1/2 minutes! Just be a couple of minutes late!
The call originates in Ireland and they don't seem particularly interested in the eclipse since they're already delaying the call till evening there to accommodate other time zones.
I think it's possible my watch may be off by a few minutes on Monday though. ;)

catherine
8-18-17, 3:08pm
The call originates in Ireland and they don't seem particularly interested in the eclipse since they're already delaying the call till evening there to accommodate other time zones.
I think it's possible my watch may be off by a few minutes on Monday though. ;)

Tell them to sit and have a Guinness and wait for your call.

CathyA
8-18-17, 3:27pm
Can your wife video tape it......but you'd have to wear those special glasses to watch it. :~)
And your wife might go blind.........so she'd better remotely tape it.
So much to worry about!
Hey......I don't think DD lives too far from you, so I'll need to remind her to check it out.

Float On
8-18-17, 7:02pm
Traffic was a breeze. But I will say that the highway patrol is already out in force and the major towns along the eclipse path have those temporary flashing signs out letting everybody know hey there's going to be an eclipse on Monday and they'll be lots of traffic. I'll be on a 300-acre farm and only three of us in 100% totality unless it's cloudy. I really just came up for the lake party and the fish fry. Gas prices were starting to go up especially around Columbia I think that was the highest I saw it at 2.24 but I can get it for $0.03 cheaper here than I did at home this morning so I will fill up today instead of waiting till Tuesday.

CathyA
8-20-17, 8:42am
I do wonder if many people are going to be left with retinal damage. It would be hard for me to trust any kind of glasses that were sold. I hope everyone is very careful with her eyes.

Baldilocks
8-20-17, 9:06am
I have the glasses. :cool: I will be at work during the peak in our area. I could just walk outside, but I will chose to take the trash out for my guilt free viewing pleasure.

Tybee
8-20-17, 10:17am
I do wonder if many people are going to be left with retinal damage. It would be hard for me to trust any kind of glasses that were sold. I hope everyone is very careful with her eyes.

I have been thinking the same thing. I am thinking that all this eclipse hoopla, sort of like a Woodstock, is going to result in many impaired people looking at the sun. I wish there was more emphasis in the media of the danger to the eyes.

Float On
8-21-17, 12:19am
I do have burn holes in my retinas and macular degeration. I'm more interested in the shadows so don't plan on any direct viewing thru glasses. Too risky. I will make several calls tomorrow to remind the boys to not be stupid.
People started arriving in town today. Restaurants were busy. There are signs around town offering free space to park to view. Gasprice holding steady.

Float On
8-21-17, 3:41pm
Well...it was a bust here. Traffic headed south this morning as the clouds rolled in. Couldn't see it at all. The darkness was cool...along with rain, thunder, lightning.

BikingLady
8-22-17, 3:23pm
We had no traffic other than the usual construction on the way to TN. We viewed at the hotel so no traffic to get to the site. On the the was home today again no traffic. Lucked out drove at correct time I think.

Gas $2.55 MI, $2.02 TN