PDA

View Full Version : Master of Social Work program: A new semester

Ultralight
8-22-17, 4:43pm
Tonight is my first class session of the semester.
I am taking a class called Engaging & Entering The Profession. This should be interesting.

Among other things, over the course of the semester we have to take the SNAP Challenge and journal about it.

pinkytoe
8-22-17, 4:58pm
I worked with a guy who had gotten a master's in some field (I don't remember what) but left the job in his late 30s to get another master's in SW. At the time, I worried about him leaving paid employment since he had a wife and two kids. He wanted to specialize in counseling wayward adolescent boys since he himself had been one and saw the value in positive male role models in his own life. Last I heard, he had graduated and opened a private practice. DD has a masters in SW but steered away from the counseling side and specialized in the management of nonprofits instead. Do you have an end in mind?

Ultralight
8-22-17, 10:51pm
I worked with a guy who had gotten a master's in some field (I don't remember what) but left the job in his late 30s to get another master's in SW. At the time, I worried about him leaving paid employment since he had a wife and two kids. He wanted to specialize in counseling wayward adolescent boys since he himself had been one and saw the value in positive male role models in his own life. Last I heard, he had graduated and opened a private practice. DD has a masters in SW but steered away from the counseling side and specialized in the management of nonprofits instead. Do you have an end in mind?

After this one session of Engaging The Profession I feel like I just don't have any desire to actually engage in the profession. haha

No, seriously. I am not actually interested in doing social work, I don't think.

I am actually reconsidering the program, maybe thinking of dropping out.

iris lilies
8-22-17, 10:56pm
After this one session of Engaging The Profession I feel like I just don't have any desire to actually engage in the profession. haha

No, seriously. I am not actually interested in doing social work, I don't think.

you said this six months ago. Still in it, though.

Chicken lady
8-23-17, 6:07am
Ultraliteite, do you have an endgame? Why did you choose to do this program? Was it "hey, this should be interesting" or a qualification for a specific job you wanted to switch to?

Ultralight
8-23-17, 6:57am
you said this six months ago. Still in it, though.
I know! And that does not bode well either way. In January I will need to start a field placement. That is when the rubber hits the road.

Ultralight
8-23-17, 6:58am
Ultraliteite, do you have an endgame? Why did you choose to do this program? Was it "hey, this should be interesting" or a qualification for a specific job you wanted to switch to?

I really don't know. I just wanted to make sure I could always get a job. Taking classes keeps me intellectually stimulated, though the subject matter does not matter that much (unless it is math or hard science -- my brain don't work that way!).

LDAHL
8-23-17, 9:15am

What is Plan B? What would you see as feasible alternatives, given your interests and situation?

Teaching of some sort? They seem to be retiring in droves right now.

Maybe an MPA program? Would commanding the people who do what you do now be appealing?

How about Law? You seem to enjoy arguing.

Some filthy, filthy business degree? Wealthy people can live simply too, you know.

ApatheticNoMore
8-23-17, 10:37am
well there must be some reason you persist in it, as it's hardly anything one "has to" do. I thought before when you thought of dropping out you just didn't like the journey (didn't like overly politicallly correct people in class) and then it's just "eyes on the prize, ignore all that, get the degree so you can get it's benefits". But if it doesn't actually have any ... you don't like the journey OR the destination, I don't know. Yes of course I assume you wanted to get a different job out of it. Make a list of benefits of staying in the program and benefits of leaving it?

Tybee
8-23-17, 10:46am
It could just be a very bad fit for you, simple as that.
I see you thriving as a lawyer, taking on causes that interest you, fighting for justice that way.

Williamsmith
11-22-17, 9:54am
If you are going to be a frustrated social worker with no end game....you might as well be a police officer. At least you can approach every day knowing you are the only thing that stands between a strained social system and chaos. And, the profession could help you further define yourself. Man.....that would make for some good posts from you.