PDA

View Full Version : Happy Moon Day - October 4

dado potato
10-4-17, 8:37am
This day when the the moon is observed to be fat as a cake, traditional Chinese people celebrate the family, the harvest, and tasty moon cakes.

Last night coincidentally, I listened to "Seraph Brass", a quintet of women musicians, play an arrangement of Claude Debussy's "Claire de Lune". They explained that Debussy was inspired by a poem written by Paul Verlaine in 1869.

Translation unfortunately wipes out the rhyme and meter, but I still like Verlaine's ideas.

The Light of the Moon

Your soul is a delicate landscape
where roam charming masquerades and peasant dances
playing the lute and dancing
and seeming almost sad
under their whimsical disguises.
While singing in a minor key
of victorious love and the life of ease
they don't seem to believe in their happiness,
and their song mingles with the light of the moon,
with the still light of the moon
sad and beautiful
which makes the birds in the trees to dream
and to sob with ecstasy
fountains,
the great slim fountains
among the marble statues.

Zoe Girl
10-4-17, 8:55am
I have been noticing the moon cycles more, so i will look up tonight and check it out. I wonder if i can find a moon cake or just eat round cookies

razz
10-4-17, 9:55am
Debussy's music is ethereal and a delight. I can see the poem as an inspiration. Are we as a society writing exquisite verse today? Share if you have a favourite especially if put to music.

Chicken lady
10-4-17, 12:32pm
https://www.finedininglovers.com/recipes/dessert/chinese-food-mooncake-recipe/

it looks kind of hard.

Zoe Girl
10-4-17, 10:17pm
After you posted this i had a parent offer to bring me mooncakes tomorrow at school!

dado potato
10-4-17, 11:33pm
Zoe Girl,

I am glad to hear about that splendid act of loving-kindness towards you.

Funny... I tried to send this thought once already and it went "poof" into the binary boondocks of the internet.

Lainey
10-5-17, 9:46am
Whoopie pies are round, do they count? :) Currently two for $1 at Safeway. Happy Harvest Moon!

Float On
10-5-17, 11:01am
Man...I missed it. Darn. Didn't even go out and look at the moon.

Zoe Girl
10-5-17, 1:10pm
Thanks Dado, it is super nice. I have some awesome families that make my work worth it.

ToomuchStuff
10-5-17, 1:14pm
Did you save your glasses for the solar eclipse tonight?:~)

Zoe Girl
10-5-17, 1:16pm
I have my glasses! the paper ones the school gave us. I go to meditation class tonight, perfect activity, and will drive back with my sun roof open