PDA

View Full Version : Work Thanksgiving today!

Ultralight
11-17-17, 7:42am
At my work we do a Thanksgiving and today is the occasion!

A few people bring signature dishes. The woman who organizes the event brings turkey she makes in a slow cooker. Somehow it comes out extraordinarily delicious! Another woman makes a pumpkin roll that is legendary at the university, so she brings one of those. Mac & Cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans, wheat bread, corn bread, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and other sides and desserts are also on the menu.

Looking forward to this!

Anyone else doing something like this? Like it? Dislike it?

Float On
11-17-17, 9:35am
I'm the only one in the building during the week....so no. But I did make, cut, dry, and freeze the noodle dough yesterday afternoon so Thanksgiving has officially started!

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 11:42am
We used to do this when I worked and it was a lot of fun.

Tybee
11-17-17, 11:52am
We did this in South Carolina at the college where I worked. It was delightful, and we had a holiday white elephant gift exchange that was very spirited--lots of fun, and wonderful food that everyone prepared.

I miss those days!

pinkytoe
11-17-17, 5:26pm
Yep. University staff gatherings can be a lot of fun. We had an annual catered BBQ about this time of year rather than turkey. Seemed like the younger folk didn't really get into social events as much as the older crowd for whatever reason so they gradually became less frequent.

Ultralight
11-17-17, 6:57pm
I'm the only one in the building during the week....so no. But I did make, cut, dry, and freeze the noodle dough yesterday afternoon so Thanksgiving has officially started!

Excellent! :)

Ultralight
11-17-17, 6:57pm
We did this in South Carolina at the college where I worked. It was delightful, and we had a holiday white elephant gift exchange that was very spirited--lots of fun, and wonderful food that everyone prepared.

Very cool! :)

Ultralight
11-17-17, 6:58pm
Yep. University staff gatherings can be a lot of fun. We had an annual catered BBQ about this time of year rather than turkey. Seemed like the younger folk didn't really get into social events as much as the older crowd for whatever reason so they gradually became less frequent.

Cookie Monday, Work Thanksgiving, Goofy Shirt happy hour, etc. These social events were all organized by people under 40. Cookie Monday was the brainchild of a 23 year old rookie colleague!

Yppej
11-17-17, 7:09pm
I gained 15 pounds in a few months from all these sorts of events so now I try resist, though I did have some popcorn the other day and I likely will go to the holiday party. I've lost all the weight on a low carb diet and now am hoping to lose a little more accumulated over the preceding years. It is not easy when so much socializing centers around eating and drinking.

Ultralight
11-17-17, 7:18pm
I gained 15 pounds in a few months from all these sorts of events so now I try resist, though I did have some popcorn the other day and I likely will go to the holiday party. I've lost all the weight on a low carb diet and now am hoping to lose a little more accumulated over the preceding years. It is not easy when so much socializing centers around eating and drinking.

I don't partake in the desserts. One colleague ate 14 cookies on cookie Monday! haha

But like today, I ate the turkey, a little gravy, some non-dairy potatoes, a wee bit of stuffing, a couple small rolls, and a piece of corn bread.