PDA

View Full Version : electric toothbrushes -- opinions?

sumarie
5-7-11, 7:06am
Wondering if anyone here has opinions on electric toothbrushes. I'm kind of a DIY gal & have been resistant to acquiring another (battery operated/electric!) object, but I've heard a couple testimonials from folks who've thought these proved to be a big improvement over their regular toothbrushes. A brand recommended by my dental hygienist was Sonicare. Any feedback welcomed! (I'll brush after feeding, of course)

CathyA
5-7-11, 7:24am
For many years, I refused to get another "unnecessary" piece of equipment. But I finally got one and WOW! What a difference it has made. It does a MUCH better job than the manuals. I started out with a Crest Spinbrush. It was okay. Then I got an Oral B Cross Action. It was even better. Then I got the same thing with a charger, so its always up to full speed, and its the best yet. I have heard that Sonicare is really good, but its usually so expensive. I'm very happy with my Cross-Action Oral B with the charger. I feel it does keep my teeth cleaner. If you get one with batteries, you need to change them every so often, and you need to change the head on the brush to keep being effective. Both the batteries and the brush can wear down, and you don't really realize it until you change them and it works much better.

goldensmom
5-7-11, 7:42am
My dentist recommends an electric toothbrush, says it does a better job of cleaning teeth and gums. I use one and mostly like it for gum massage and tongue cleaning. Overall I think it does a better job of oral hygiene than the non-electric. Still need to floss. I have a Sonicare.

CathyA
5-7-11, 9:25am
goldensmom......One reason I haven't changed to the sonicare (besides the price) is that the head is just small and round. The head on mine has the 2 different brushes together which go in different directions and seems it would cover more spaces. But....I'm thinking there must be something good to the small round head. Do you know anything about the difference?

herisf
5-7-11, 9:55am
I have a Sonicare as recommended by my dentist, as I have a tendency to brush too hard with a regular brush. It's helped save my gums. To me, the head size is irrelevant, as you need to move the brush around the quadrants of your mouth anyway.

You still need to floss, and I use a tongue scraper when needed.

poetry_writer
5-7-11, 10:41am
I have had great checkups since getting a Sonicare. The dental hygenist hardly has to scrape scrape scrrrrapppe my teeth at all. She says my gums are very healthy and no cavities. I believe its worth it in the long run since dental care is so expensive.

goldensmom
5-7-11, 11:18am
goldensmom......One reason I haven't changed to the sonicare (besides the price) is that the head is just small and round. The head on mine has the 2 different brushes together which go in different directions and seems it would cover more spaces. But....I'm thinking there must be something good to the small round head. Do you know anything about the difference?

I don't know the difference, I just know it feels good. I move it around like a regular toothbrush but maybe that's just because of many years of brushing that way. I have noticed that the dental hygienist has remarked on how little plaque build up there is. I also use the purple Listerine mouth wash that again is recommended by my dentist.

CathyA
5-7-11, 11:28am
Thanks goldensmom.

fidgiegirl
5-7-11, 2:30pm
Ooh I like mine, too. I got it about ten years ago and it was like $10 and takes AA batteries. It is an Oral B brand. The heads are a little expensive, but at Costco I've found an acceptable price. It was recommended to me for brushing too hard, just like herisf.

Theoretically two people could share one handle and each have their own brush head to use.

Madsen
5-7-11, 4:40pm
Got a Sonicare and it's the bee's knees! I think this is definitely one of those 'pay now to save in the long run' categories --- your teeth and gums will be much healthier!

janharker
5-7-11, 7:37pm
Fidgiegirl, it's not just theory. My DH and I have a Sonicare Elite. Two interchangeable heads that sit in a holder and just screw on to the handle. Yes, expensive. And the models of the heads are not interchangeable. I agree, so much better results than manually. I use both, using the Sonicare when I feel I need extra cleaning action. By doing that I don't have to buy new heads as often.

pony mom
5-7-11, 8:09pm
I will never be without my Sonicare! My teeth always feel so clean and when I do use a manual toothbrush, I can definitely feel the difference. It is a bit pricey (look for Bed Bath & Beyond sales and coupons) and the replacement heads aren't cheap either, but it's so worth it. The bristles sort of vibrate instead of spin, which makes it different than other electric toothbrushes. I'm ashamed to admit how many years since I've been to a dentist so I like to think that I'm avoiding problems and painful cleanings by using this. It feels wonderful on your gums too.

FYI, the Clarisonic facial brush, made by the same company, is fantastic as well. I have rosacea and needed something gentle; again, the vibrating (not spinning) bristles clean your skin so gently. I'm in my mid 40s and the Clarisonic combined with healthier, more natural skin-care products have made my skin the best it has ever been.

Glo
5-8-11, 10:14am
My dentist pushed us into Sonicare about 20 years ago. I didn't want to spend the money, but I finally gave in. What a difference! No more painful cleanings, no more cavities. I no longer have dental insurance so going to the dentist is very expensive. I recently had a filling replaced and it cost $200!

KayLR
5-8-11, 1:22pm
I guess I'll be the outlier here, stick my neck out. I used a Sonicare for years (maybe 6-7?) on advice from my dentist. And while I was okay with it, when it became time to replace it for about the 3rd time, I decided to go back to low-tech manual. I just didn't like paying that much for a toothbrush, dealing with battery disposal, and using electricity to clean my teeth. So far, my checkups haven't been any different. Just my personal choice/reason.

I am pretty picky about my manual toothbrushes, though. I like the ones with higher outer (rubber) bristles.

redfox
5-8-11, 1:27pm
I like the Sonicare too. You can take it into the shower! I have incredibly good dental genetics, so my slovenly ways in my younger years did not impact my dental health. My DH, who does not have such genetics, has clearly benefitted from his Sonicare use.

janharker
5-8-11, 1:44pm
BTW, the brush on my Sonicare looks like a regular toothbrush, rectangular, not round. The recharging unit has a light that is always on. Our house is very dark; I use that light to see at night in the bathroom. So, while I don't like that it uses electricy, it's better than banging myself on things in the dark.

Bugeah
5-8-11, 5:13pm
I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush with the charging stand. I got it because my dentist urged me to get it since my gums have been receding pretty badly over the last few years. DH bought it for me as my bday gift so we could justify the expense a little better. I really like it and prefer it to a manual brush. I don't know that it's improving my teeth and gums yet since I've only had it since September. I think if I get back into the habit of flossing then it will make a big difference.

sumarie
5-8-11, 9:45pm
Thank you, everyone, for posting your thoughts & experiences -- very helpful!

grendel
5-9-11, 3:39am
I've tried both the Sonicare and Oral B. Both were much better than manual, but I preferred the smaller head of the Oral B. If you have a small mouth like me, the Sonic are is a bit too wide to reach the back molars.

Merski
5-9-11, 8:12am
We have an oral B toothbrush and love it. Check with your dentists office. We got a coupon for $10 off from ours several years ago. I hate to brush my teeth so the electric toothbrush makes it go faster for me.

KayLR
5-9-11, 12:28pm
Was thinking about it this morning while brushing---I remember thinking when I was about to replace my Sonicare for the 3rd time..."Cr@p, I hate the packaging those come in." It takes a locksmith to open them.

Glo
5-10-11, 10:54am
In 20 years we're only on our second Sonicare; I think that's pretty good!