PDA

View Full Version : Grammar geeks. Using " " or ' ', which one is right?

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 5:22pm
So, here it is. i.e.

This topic is "food for thought" for me.

This topic is 'food for thought' for me.

Which one is right?

cdttmm
5-8-11, 6:18pm
Disclaimer: I am not as much of a grammar geek as others on this board. But I will give it a try. :)

Neither. Food for thought is a common idiomatic expression in American English, so there is no need for quotation marks in the example you gave.

kally
5-8-11, 6:41pm
agree, nothing required in the way of quotation marks.

Kathy WI
5-8-11, 6:59pm
It's true what they said. But the general rule for quotation marks is that you use double quotes when you're writing exactly what somebody said, and single quotes when you have a quote within a quote. Example: Vera said, "I can't believe Eunice yelled 'Shut up' at me."

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 6:59pm
OK, thanks. I've always been under the impression that in order to punctuate or emphasis something being said, double quotation marks were used.

So, when would it be acceptable to use double quotation marks? (When expressing something that someone said)? As in, Cdttmm and Kally, two strong proponents of the new law made it clear in the interview that- "we're all for it".

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 7:02pm
Just seen your entry after posting mine Kathy WI. OK, I think I got it. :) (Doing the happy dance right now). Thanks you guys.

fidgiegirl
5-8-11, 7:10pm
I also think that in other countries the pattern that Kathy WI mentioned is reversed.

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 11:11pm
Hi Fidgiegirl. I should have known, when it comes to grammar, seems nothing is ever straight forward. Everything that should make sense never does... :) No wonder I'm such a failure in this department.

loosechickens
5-9-11, 2:53pm
You might also want to look at this for other important ways to use quotation marks:

http://www.quotation-marks.com/emphasis_and_irony.php

"Another important use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words. Ironic quotes can also be called scare, sneer, shock, or distance quotes. Ironic quotes are sometimes gestured in verbal speech using air quotes:

My jerk brother claimed he was too “busy” to help me.

Ironic quotes should be used with care. Without the intonational cues of speech, they could obscure the writer's intended meaning. They could also be confused easily with quotations.

In a similar sense, quotes are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that the word is not being used in its (currently) accepted sense.

In the fifteenth century, we “knew” that the Sun's revolution divided day from night.

Woody Allen joked, “I'm astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.”

Quotes are also sometimes used for emphasis in lieu of underlining or italics, most commonly found on signs or placards. This is generally discouraged not only because it is historically an improper usage, but also because it is easily confused with ironic or altered-usage quotation.

For sale: “fresh” fish, $5.99
The statement above could be construed to imply that the word fresh is not being used with its everyday meaning.

Either quotes or italic type can emphasize that an instance of a word refers to the word itself rather than its associated concept.

Cheese is derived from milk.
“Cheese” is derived from a word in Old English.
Cheese has calcium, protein, and phosphorus.
Cheese has three E's.\

In HTML/XHTML, a semi-semantic way to distinguish regular quotes from distance quotes is to use the <q> tag for the former while using actual quotation marks for distance quotes. It is only semi-semantic because the behavior for non-eye-centered media is uncertain. Still, it is safer than not introducing any distinction at all."

Mrs-M
5-9-11, 6:42pm
Thanks LC. I see that I'm in way over my head on this one, like all other grammar related issues I've attempted to tackle during my stay here, but as always I do appreciate the help of those who stop by to provide me with the help I need and for that I'm grateful. Thanks everybody.

SoSimple
5-9-11, 10:04pm
By and large when it comes to grammar I tend to go with the 80/20 rule: I use whatever works 80% of the time and accept that I may be wrong the other 20%!

I'd go with Kathy WI's answer. Use double quotes when you're actually quoting someone, and a single quote when you're quoting someone that's quoting someone else.

When I told Pete how much my tickets cost he said "you must be going first class!"

I was asking Amanda about her trip to England and she said "when I told Pete that my tickets were going to cost $1100, he said 'you must be going first class!'".

Ironic quotes are used to indicate a sort of sarcasm or irony intended by the phrase or word included in the quotes. When speaking, someone would indicate ironic quotes by using the air quote gesture.
e.g. Of course, airlines would have you believe that flying economy class is "no different" to flying first class; assuming you can overlook the 50% decrease in space, the 100-to-1 ratio for the toilets, and the $7 bags of chips.

HTH!!

Mrs-M
5-10-11, 10:35am
Hi SoSimple. Thanks for the help. :) I've been reviewing this thread over and over again in hopes that a smidgen of what everyone put forth sinks in. So far so good. Definitely easier than an old grammar thread I remember starting (old forum) pertaining to affect/effect.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/gaah.gif