PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing ingredients from neighbours.

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 5:35pm
So, you're cooking or baking up a storm and darn it all anyway, you're out of flaked oregano or granulated sugar, what to do.....

Do you run over to the neighbours and borrow what you need from them (paying them back/returning what you borrowed from them) in a few days (after you go shopping), or do you make a quick run to the store?

I've had this happen to me lots over the years and thanks to close neighbours, I am always able to make a quick phone call (to see if they have what I need- or not), then with measuring cup in hand I make (or one of the kids makes) a mad-dash next-door/across alley/across street to acquire what I am after.

Reyes
5-8-11, 7:37pm
Neighbors. For baked good, I always thank the neighbor with a warm slice of whatever I was baking at the time.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-8-11, 10:16pm
If the neighbor was someone I felt close to, a friend, then yes I would borrow (and repay). If not, then I would run to the store.

ApatheticNoMore
5-8-11, 10:32pm
The store. A sad comment I suppose ... alienation of modern society and all that :treadmill:. The neighbors are other renters in this apartment complex and nearby apartments I guess.

fidgiegirl
5-8-11, 10:49pm
Store, unless it was my SIL and BiL. Even then, most likely the store. However, we have a store pretty dang close, so it feels rude to trouble them when all we have to do is go four blocks to the store. If we lived further, then that's a different story.

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 11:13pm
Thanks for ringing in everybody. :) Nice to hear others perspective on such.

Tiam
5-8-11, 11:24pm
Not any more. If I had a friend who was a neighbor I would. I remember being sent by my mother to the neighbors a lot.

Mrs-M
5-8-11, 11:29pm
Originally posted by Tiam.
I remember being sent by my mother to the neighbors a lot.Yes, me too! :laff:

redfox
5-9-11, 1:24am
My neighbors speak mostly Mandarin... so, likely the store. However, if I need to know how to make Bitter Melon soup, or stir fry mustard greens, I am in luck!

Stella
5-9-11, 10:01am
I'm friends with both of my next-door neighbors and would borrow, but the store is also a few blocks away, so we usually go to the store.

One set of next-door neighbors would be likely to have an egg or a cup of sugar, but the other is a divorced guy who is about my dad's age (actually Dad's best friend since I was two years old) and his single, 20 something police officer son. They don't really bake. I don't think they even cook much. The dad has brought me over food before saying, "I don't know why I bought this broccoli. I was going to try to eat healthier but I'm not really going to use it. I know you would." I bring all of the neighbors baked goods on a regular basis.

We share tools back and forth with the neighbors all the time though.

Float On
5-9-11, 10:31am
I had a neighbor that we'd borrow from each other if we needed something. New neighbors in that same house haven't been as friendly......and it's been 10 years.

Simpler at Fifty
5-9-11, 11:54am
the neighbors. We have great neighbors on both sides of the house. We have borrowed butter, powdered sugar and sugar. But we also lend our wheelbarrow, tiller, etc with the neighbors.

H-work
5-9-11, 2:29pm
There's a 3rd option, make something else :) We live 1 hour from town, so going to town is not an option. I make sure my staples are stocked up so I don't run out of anything. Still, I often run out of perishables. I've substituted cabbage for tacos when we didn't have lettuce and a touch of salsa in BLTs when we didn't have tomatoes. I would consider borrowing from the neighbors, but most of the time they're not home.

treehugger
5-9-11, 3:11pm
There's a 3rd option, make something else :) We live 1 hour from town, so going to town is not an option. I make sure my staples are stocked up so I don't run out of anything. Still, I often run out of perishables. I've substituted cabbage for tacos when we didn't have lettuce and a touch of salsa in BLTs when we didn't have tomatoes. I would consider borrowing from the neighbors, but most of the time they're not home.

Yeah, I pretty much go with this third option, and I don't even live an hour from town. I just prefer to use up what's on hand rather than run to the store multiple times (I only shop every 2 weeks). And while I have neighbors who I certainly could borrow from, I prefer not to impose. And by the way, that's a personal decision, not a judgement on people who do borrow from neighbors. :) I'd just always rather make do, unless it's something really important.

Kara

Gardenarian
5-9-11, 4:53pm
Neighbors, all the time. We are always running back and forth, and we have a market about 1 1/2 blocks away. My neighbors are wonderful.

When I was a kid my mom sent me to the neighbors too. My mom likes to tell the story of how she sent me next door to get something and I hurried on over, buck naked, asking if Betty had any celery. Why was I naked in the first place? No idea....

Mrs-M
5-9-11, 7:01pm
Great reading everybody! I too (sometimes) reconsider what I'm making if I'm missing a certain key ingredient, but if it's something plain and simple such as a cup of flour, or a couple of eggs, or a dash of spice, I usually follow through with doing the neighbour thing. We have the best relationship with our Italian neighbours. So rare to have neighbours/friends like them.

Gardenarian. You made me laugh Re: boring ingredients buck naked! Can't say I have done that before. :) Kids will be kids...

Oceanic
5-12-11, 7:23pm
Haha - I don't think my neighbours bake. In any case, the corner store is right across the street, and they have always had what I needed.

Mrs-M
5-12-11, 9:26pm
How lucky all you guys are who live close-by stores. Could be evil although if one was to allow themselves a loose chain. :)

Square Peg
5-12-11, 9:54pm
Neighbors. I usually send the kids to do it. We have had at least friendly relations with various neighbors for years.

Mrs-M
5-12-11, 11:47pm
Kids are the best when it comes to emergency events like ingredient shortages! Makes little ones feel so important and needed and mom can continue on with dirty messy hands. No interruptions.

mira
5-15-11, 2:53pm
The store. A sad comment I suppose ... alienation of modern society and all that :treadmill:. The neighbors are other renters in this apartment complex and nearby apartments I guess.
Ditto. It makes me sad, but I suppose I haven't put in the effort to get to know them, and neither have they. We live across the street from three or four stores, so I'd go there.

Shari
5-16-11, 4:56am
Store. Don't know the neighbors and don't like to borrow.

Mrs-M
5-16-11, 11:31am
Mira. Actually, IMO, unless there are noticeable cues as to friendliness and willingness on both parties part to make a point of interacting and extending a friendly hand to one another, then I'm all for not having anything to do with neighbours. I commend you for keeping to yourself in your situation. :)

Shari. Not borrowing is such a commendable quality.

catherine
5-16-11, 12:19pm
I hit up my next-door neighbor all the time--he's my brother-in-law!

Otherwise, I MIGHT borrow from a neighbor, but I'd be more likely to run to the store--the store is so close to the neighborhood there's very little excuse for asking someone, unless you had an immediate need.

Square Peg
5-16-11, 12:57pm
Mrs M, why do you say not borrowing is a commendable quality? I think that a certain amount of interdependence can foster community. And save resources.

Mrs-M
5-16-11, 8:55pm
Hi Catherine. My only immediate need (whenever I run short or find myself without something) is laziness! :) Shame on me!

Hi Square peg. I've always (sort of/kind of) thought of people who refuse to ask for anything as being quite outstanding. Just knowing they are willing to accept no help (of any kind) inspires me on a simple level, but you're right, sometimes the most simplest of things related to interactions between others creates closeness. I never thought of it that way before until you mentioned it. :)

Square Peg
5-26-11, 2:44pm
I was just reading about a new website and it made me think of this thread.
http://greenupgrader.com/11686/share-some-sugar-conserving-resources-by-sharing-tools-building-community/

I know other communities are setting up similar swaps at the local level. Here is an example from Portland:
http://www.northportlandtoollibrary.org/About_Us.htm

Here is a wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tool-lending_libraries

Mrs-M
5-26-11, 7:39pm
You are an angel Square Peg! A little reading material for me. :) This is great. In fact it's just what I needed!

Float On
6-11-11, 5:44pm
Seriously considering going to the neighbors and asking to borrow some sugar this evening. I've got strawberries and rhubarb to make pies....and not a speck of sugar in the house. Apparently I used up the last sugar the other day making hummingbird juice.

Mrs-M
6-11-11, 5:52pm
Do it Float On! If I were your neighbour I would love for you to pop over for some. In fact I'd even have a piping hot cup of tea waiting for you too!
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv111/u58656/Smilies/baking.gif

Float On
6-11-11, 8:24pm
Could you make it iced tea Mrs-M?? It's about 90 degrees and i've got the hives from working in the garden in the heat most of the day.

Mrs-M
6-11-11, 9:00pm
Originally posted by Float On.
Could you make it iced tea Mrs-M??I sure can! :) Hope you get a good nights sleep after putting in such a long day.

Float On
6-12-11, 1:13am
borrowed sugar from the neighbor down the road. The pie didn't come out of the oven until after 10 p.m. but I still had to have one piece with icecream. Some facebook friends promised me it was calorie free after 10 p.m.

Mrs-M
6-12-11, 8:01pm
Good on you Float On!!! :) I was wondering if you took the plunge and went for the Mrs-M borrow routine. Sounds delicious! Careful on being led astray on the calories issue FO. I've gone down that path before and my bottom and hips told me otherwise! LMAO!