PDA

View Full Version : Peace Pilgrim

sumarie
5-8-11, 10:00pm
Anyone heard of or known a woman named Peace Pilgrim? She greatly influenced my life by her example when I learned of her about 25 years ago. She had an amazing life -- she made the discovery that making money & consuming were not satisfying for her and she gradually replaced what was meaningless with what was meaningful. She was called Peace Pilgrim because she took up the "pilgrim's life" of movement and she did it with a mission for peace. Her mission was simple: overcome evil with good, falsehood with truth, and hatred with love. She took to the road in her 40's, walking, and made herself a tunic with Peace Pilgrim printed on it, and talked to anyone who stopped & spoke with her. She crisscrossed the United States about 7 times over 30 some years, I believe, and had no possessions other than the clothes she wore. She walked until given food and shelter.

Talk about simple living!

fidgiegirl
5-8-11, 10:47pm
Awesome. I would like to read more about her, will have to look her up.

Xmac
5-8-11, 10:58pm
There's an hour long documentary about her. You should be able to find it on YouTube or Google.

Amazing woman.

earthshepherd
5-9-11, 6:31am
I love reading Peace Pilgrim's story and words! The Peace Pilgrim website has a lot of great links.
http://www.peacepilgrim.com/index2.htm

Merski
5-9-11, 8:13am
I read about her years ago...kinda was buddhist before it was more prevalent in the US.

catherine
5-9-11, 9:05am
I was totally into her several years ago. She was an amazing woman, for sure. Here's a blog post I wrote about her a couple of years ago: http://silententry.wordpress.com/tag/peace-pilgrim/

sumarie
5-9-11, 10:34am
Catherine, what a beautiful piece you wrote. Thank you for including it here.

Gardenarian
5-9-11, 6:11pm
Catherine, what a funny and touching story!
I have to find out more about this woman.

Juds
5-14-11, 9:01pm
Thank you so much for sharing this person with us. As for me, well, it is another one of those things, concepts, glorious happenstances that come along just at the time you need them.

One of my jobs, now that I am retired, is to provide social contact, friendship, and facilitate the flow of communication between a few elderly (more so than I!;) ) people and their immediate families, within the auspices of a social service agency. One of the women is simply being herself, but my tolerances, gosh this makes me sound so mean and mean-spirited even though it is true, for some of her behaviors has lessened. It has not changed our relationship, but it has altered my mindset about parts of that relationship.

So, anyway, I clicked on the Peace Pilgrim site link and read the Steps Toward Inner Peace interview. I have been mildly not very enthusiastic about our plans for tomorrow and many of the ideas and thoughts in that article spoke directly to my confusion about how I was going to effectively stay in relationship with this particular woman.

So. I read the article a second time. Then, I called her. Frankly, it was one of the best conversations that I have ever had with her, and all because I was able to alter my perceptions and viewpoints. Just from reading that article.

Just no denying it, there is no randomness in the Universe. Thank goodness!

Fawn
5-15-11, 8:38pm
Peace Pilgrim is a favorite of mine. I first read her little blue booklet (anyone else remember that?) about 1993.

She sure puts Simple Living Magazine (tm) to shame. ;)

Tussiemussies
4-21-12, 11:33pm
Anyone heard of or known a woman named Peace Pilgrim? She greatly influenced my life by her example when I learned of her about 25 years ago. She had an amazing life -- she made the discovery that making money & consuming were not satisfying for her and she gradually replaced what was meaningless with what was meaningful. She was called Peace Pilgrim because she took up the "pilgrim's life" of movement and she did it with a mission for peace. Her mission was simple: overcome evil with good, falsehood with truth, and hatred with love. She took to the road in her 40's, walking, and made herself a tunic with Peace Pilgrim printed on it, and talked to anyone who stopped & spoke with her. She crisscrossed the United States about 7 times over 30 some years, I believe, and had no possessions other than the clothes she wore. She walked until given food and shelter.

Talk about simple living!

I had read about her years ago and just loved what I read and what a spiritual person she was. Her home page is:

www.peacepilgrim.com

There is a lot of information there, I didn't know she came from south NJ!