PDA

View Full Version : homemade salad dressing

Tiam
5-8-11, 11:51pm
It's easy to make a basic vinagarette, that I have no problem with. I'm looking for other new, homemade salad dressings. For a taste change? Anyone have any? I know lots of folks just do oil and vinegar, but I'd like to have some more, new ideas if anyone has some to share.

Reyes
5-9-11, 12:16am
This is our favorite dressing:

1/2 c. water
1/2 c. flax seed oil
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. toasted sesame seed oil
1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds

frugal-one
5-9-11, 2:53am
How long do homemade dressings keep when refrigerated?

Merski
5-9-11, 8:05am
I saw a homemade ranch dressing that was surprisingly easy on food channel. Equal parts mayo & sour cream thinned with lemon juice add garlick & S& P. Go to epicurious or foodchannel.com . It was on "Chuck's day off" program.

Dressing keeps very well for a week or two in the fridge. Just be certain to let it come up to room temp so you can effectively shake and disperse the oil back into solution. Olive oil tends to glob up in the cold of the fridge.

Rosemary
5-9-11, 8:10am
I make a homemade ranch also, and taste testing kids have loved it. About 1 c plain yogurt - add a little garlic powder, salt/pepper, dried chives, dried parsley. The dried chives are key to the flavor.

Dressings made from nut butters are also tasty. My new broccoli salad dressing is soaked, pureed cashews with a touch of sweetness - last week I used some leftover roasted sweet potatoes; yesterday I used a couple of dried apricots, minced and soaked along with the cashews.

Honey/mustard is easy and tasty. Use a yogurt or buttermilk or silken tofu base.

Mrs-M
5-9-11, 7:33pm
Oh boy you guys, talk about a mouthwatering/delightful thread! Perfect timing too seeing how summer is right upon us.

I love the combination of fresh squeezed lemon juice, thyme, and fresh minced garlic as a dressing! So refreshing. (All ingredients to taste). Simple and delicious!

HappyHiker
5-9-11, 7:53pm
How about a honey mustard dressing? I mix up one T. of honey and equal parts (maybe 1/8 cup) mustard and either red wine or balsamic vinegar for a zippy dressing. You can season with black pepper and some basil, tarragon or Italian seasonings if you like.

iris lily
5-9-11, 8:45pm
I have a killer recipe that uses lots of smashed garlic and dijon mustard and olive oil, blended slowly. Wow. You just vary the amounts to taste. When done right it is cream and oh yeah, garlicky.

Tiam
5-10-11, 12:12am
I make a homemade ranch also, and taste testing kids have loved it. About 1 c plain yogurt - add a little garlic powder, salt/pepper, dried chives, dried parsley. The dried chives are key to the flavor.

Dressings made from nut butters are also tasty. My new broccoli salad dressing is soaked, pureed cashews with a touch of sweetness - last week I used some leftover roasted sweet potatoes; yesterday I used a couple of dried apricots, minced and soaked along with the cashews.

Honey/mustard is easy and tasty. Use a yogurt or buttermilk or silken tofu base.

I remember a pretty good sesame orange one from Laurel's kitchen, back in the day.