PDA

View Full Version : Rice dishes that are good cold/room temperature

Amaranth
5-9-11, 4:05pm
What rice dishes are good straight from the fridge when you don't have facilities for heating them back up? Would welcome ideas for brown rice or white rice. Or if you know of dishes made with other grains that you think might be good made with rice, I could experiment with adapting them.

So far I've thought of

Rice:
sushi made with cucumbers or carrot centers and/or cooked fish

Other grains:
An adaptation of tabouleh (any thoughts about how to adapt this?)

bae
5-9-11, 4:11pm
There's the whole family of oshizushi (pressed sushi), which when made with durable ingredients make fun things for kids' lunchboxes. The sky is the limit on shape and decoration.

iris lily
5-9-11, 8:42pm
I make a good rice dish with:

corn, black beans, green onions chopped, and a dressing of avacado and sour cream--it's all just mixed together.

AmeliaJane
5-10-11, 12:26am
Since I am not very good with dainty things like sushi, I like the variation of sushi bowls (where you basically pile all the ingredients in a bowl.) I also like rice salads--you can do pretty much like a pasta salad-- I have had them with creamy or vinaigrette dressings. I do have to let rice come up to room temperature though; I don't like it right out of the fridge...

iris lily
5-10-11, 12:31am
Since I am not very good with dainty things like sushi, I like the variation of sushi bowls (where you basically pile all the ingredients in a bowl.) I also like rice salads--you can do pretty much like a pasta salad-- I have had them with creamy or vinaigrette dressings. I do have to let rice come up to room temperature though; I don't like it right out of the fridge...

Agreed, room temp is good, cold not so good.

peggy
5-10-11, 10:03am
Your salad sounds good Iris. I vote for rice pudding! Actually makes quite a good breakfast since it has eggs, milk, rice and not too much sugar.

dovergirl
5-10-11, 11:14am
I enjoy this salad for lunch. I often add some chopped, cooked chicken and a little bit of minced red onion.

Hazelnut Rice Salad
5-6 c cooked rice
Kosher salt and freshly ground blk pepper
1/4 c champagne vinegar or other mild vinegar
1/2 c olive oil
Artichoke hearts (1 can or frozen pkg), chopped
2/3 c toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts
1/2 c chopped good quality black olives
1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest

step ahead:
cook the rice an hour ahead and leave it at room temp to cool. Make the vinaigrette and assemble all the other ingredients several hours ahead. toss the salad shortly before serving.

In a small bowl, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar and the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the rice, then add the artichoke hearts, hazelnuts, parsley, olives, parmesan, and lemon zest. Stir the salad with a rubber spatula until everything is well combined, then season to taste with salt, pepper, and a little more vinegar if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Adapted from the Humble Pie blog.

KayLR
5-10-11, 11:24am
I enjoy this salad for lunch. I often add some chopped, cooked chicken and a little bit of minced red onion.

Hazelnut Rice Salad
5-6 c cooked rice
Kosher salt and freshly ground blk pepper
1/4 c champagne vinegar or other mild vinegar
1/2 c olive oil
Artichoke hearts (1 can or frozen pkg), chopped
2/3 c toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts
1/2 c chopped good quality black olives
1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest

step ahead:
cook the rice an hour ahead and leave it at room temp to cool. Make the vinaigrette and assemble all the other ingredients several hours ahead. toss the salad shortly before serving.

In a small bowl, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar and the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the rice, then add the artichoke hearts, hazelnuts, parsley, olives, parmesan, and lemon zest. Stir the salad with a rubber spatula until everything is well combined, then season to taste with salt, pepper, and a little more vinegar if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Adapted from the Humble Pie blog.

This sounds awesome, but do you have a hard time finding hazelnuts?

Amaranth
5-12-11, 9:04am
Yum, great ideas!

Would you tell me more about the other forms of sushi and the favorite toppings? So far I have just made the rolled kind.

Sometimes the hazelnuts are labled filberts. If I couldn't find them, I think almonds would be good in dovergirl's salad.

Stella
5-12-11, 5:37pm
+1 on the rice pudding idea!

dovergirl
5-12-11, 10:11pm
My local IGA carries hazelnuts but I do sometimes leave them out b/c they are pricey! You could probably try any other nut or seed - maybe pine nuts?

pamlstano
5-26-11, 12:14am
Yeah. You are right that we should have to try pie nuts instead of nut and seed. Due to high inflation in the market, The price of seed and nuts goes up.