That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.

lhamo
5-10-11, 6:24am
I love that song, and the chorus, too.

lhamo

catherine
5-10-11, 7:38am
Wow, that's awesome. I'll have to make a trip to iTunes! I've always loved his "Hallelujah" Thanks for posting, redfox!

Sad Eyed Lady
5-10-11, 9:22am
I love most things by Leonard Cohen - he's one of the best. Even at 70+ he is still amazing!

Kestrel
5-10-11, 9:46am
Add me to the group ... I too love Leonard Cohen (maybe not all, but like Shalom_Poet, "most") ... anyway, you got me started. Of course I had to go to youtube and watch/listen to Anthem, then more Leonard Cohen, especially Hallelujah, which I suppose is my favorite -- of course by k.d. lang -- and then more k.d. lang, then k.d. lang and Roy Orbison ("Crying"), then more Roy Orbison .... and then ... and then back to k.d. lang, and more Leonard Cohen. The music is beautiful. Lots of memories there. A tear or two ...

Merski
5-10-11, 12:12pm
I just interlibrary loaned L.C. Live in London CD for DH to download! LOVE HIM!!!
My fave -The Tower of Song

Sad Eyed Lady
5-10-11, 10:17pm
My favorite L. Cohen song? "Take This Waltz". Most beautiful, romantic song ever written. I know he didn't write it, but did translate the Spanish from a poem by Lorca. If you've never heard this be sure to find it and listen - preferably with a glass of wine in hand.

ApatheticNoMore
5-11-11, 3:24am
Yea I like Leonard Cohen. I like Hallelujah. I also like the darker stuff (and um it's Leonard Cohen he has darker stuff). Such as "The Future". Definitely makes my list of top apocalyptic songs ever written. I have a list of apocalyptic songs, well yes I do :). Gonna party like it's 1999 afterall (and that's not one of them).

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/thefuture.html

Sad Eyed Lady
5-11-11, 9:16am
Yea I like Leonard Cohen. I like Hallelujah. I also like the darker stuff (and um it's Leonard Cohen he has darker stuff). Such as "The Future". Definitely makes my list of top apocalyptic songs ever written. I have a list of apocalyptic songs, well yes I do :). Gonna party like it's 1999 afterall (and that's not one of them).

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/thefuture.html
Leonard can certainly be "darker". I remember reading a book once where the main character committed suicide, and the music she chose to listen too during while doing so was Leonard Cohen! Also, I've heard his music referred to as "songs to commit suicide by". I don't agree, but a darker side does come through in his music at times. He has struggled with depression all of his life and I guess it shows in his creative outlet.

puglogic
5-21-11, 9:11am
I loved this, redfox. Thanks so much for sharing it.

leslieann
5-21-11, 12:24pm
This is my all-time favorite. Every single time I hear it, and no matter who is performing it, tears come when I hear "...that's how the light gets in...". You might like Laila Biali's version. I had to skip over reading the lyrics in the OP's post because I didn't want to be sniffling here at the computer. Probably sometime in my life that line won't resonate so deeply with me, but for the last five years it has been quite a trigger.

I pretty much like everything of LC's that I have heard. (Okay, "Marianne" is kind of, um, boring...) "Closing Time" is raucous good fun. Many have a deeply spiritual element while really digging into the reality of human existence...there is often a juxtaposition of the sacred and profane that reminds me that this is how WE are.

L.

redfox
5-21-11, 1:00pm
This is my all-time favorite. Every single time I hear it, and no matter who is performing it, tears come when I hear "...that's how the light gets in...". You might like Laila Biali's version. I had to skip over reading the lyrics in the OP's post because I didn't want to be sniffling here at the computer. Probably sometime in my life that line won't resonate so deeply with me, but for the last five years it has been quite a trigger.

I pretty much like everything of LC's that I have heard. (Okay, "Marianne" is kind of, um, boring...) "Closing Time" is raucous good fun. Many have a deeply spiritual element while really digging into the reality of human existence...there is often a juxtaposition of the sacred and profane that reminds me that this is how WE are.

L.

Beautifully said!