PDA

View Full Version : old mortgage papers

Zoe Girl
5-10-11, 6:14pm
Can i toss these, pleaaase? i don't own either house any longer and I have such limited space that this is too much to keep.

I texted my aunt who is a realtor about it just to make sure, meanwhile going through the box i was able to get rid of half of it by cleaning out statements for paying for a home inspection or old home insurance docs and other crap such as duplicates and fax cover sheets.

janharker
5-10-11, 7:28pm
My lawyer husband says to keep the mortgage documents. He's a lawyer, so he's naturally paranoid about potential lawsuits. But I do vaguely remember reading something once that said that you should keep the documents. I think I'd keep them if I knew that the person living there now is the person I sold the house to. If they sell it and someone else has it, then I think I'd lose the paper. Surely the important stuff is on file somewhere in some Title Company office.

Zoe Girl
5-10-11, 10:39pm
Okay well at least I cleaned it out a lot so it is down to the minimum. I have the papers from refis we did in California and i think the people who bought from us are still in the house. Did you know what shocked me, The 1800 ft2 house in Cali sold for $400,000 about 7 years ago. Now I know nothing in that town is selling for that anymore.

rodeosweetheart
5-11-11, 11:41pm
This is a great question, Zoe. I don't know the answer, but I wonder if it is okay to scan them all into your computer and then get rid of the paper. I have been tempted to do this, now that space is at a premium and I have such bad allergies to mold and dust--it would be of health benefit to get rid of as much old paper as possible.