PDA

View Full Version : A Big Change!

SiouzQ.
5-10-11, 10:55pm
I did it! I finally got all my hair lopped off! Six years of frazzly-frizz, all gone! I feel so much lighter and now have my peripheral vision back!

I had recently had a lot of pictures taken of me on stage and realized my long red tresses were not very attractive anymore ~ my hair looked so dry and it was thinning out, and it was really dragging my face down ~ I had made a hair appointment last week for the usual every five month trim and color, but an hour before the appointment I started thinking about it and trying to remember what I looked like with short hair. Even when I got there, I hadn't really made up my mind yet but the more I sat there, I started thinking, "What the hell, it's only hair!" I now realize how much of my identity was tied up in the long curly red-hair thing I had going on for so long...so many things have changed for me lately this feels like a confirmation of those changes, in a way...it'll be really fun to show up at work tomorrow and shock everyone!

fidgiegirl
5-10-11, 11:03pm
Congrats! I remember that light feeling when I got rid of my long, long teenage hair. Have never gone back! Enjoy the shock factor ;)

kally
5-10-11, 11:17pm
sounds like a great decision

Bugeah
5-10-11, 11:48pm
Woohoo! Sometimes change can be so liberating. Congrats!

Kat
5-11-11, 8:46am
Yay! I bet you look beautiful! :-)

Gardenarian
5-11-11, 6:05pm
As another long-red-curly, BRAVO! It's a hard thing to do.

SiouzQ.
5-11-11, 9:14pm
Today was fun! It's kind of punky-spikey looking, and very deep red (new dye job). Even strangers on the bus felt free to comment!
The only drawback really is the upkeep; I think part of the reason I kept it long is that it seemed cheaper, because I was only going 2 or 3 times a year to get a trim and deep conditioning, but at the cost of $80, plus all the special conditioners! Now I'll need to get a trim every 6 weeks so I'll need to find an alternative cheaper place than my high-falutin' hair lady. I may try a barber shop, or god forbid, a Fantastic Sam's (scary) or maybe just start growing it out again! And then there is the cost of products to mold it and spike it into shape, etc. I wish I didn't care so much, but I am so in the public eye with my job and with the performing thing that I really feel like I have to keep up my appearance...though it was sure nice to eat my lunch outside without clipping it back, real nice that it won't get caught in the car window when I roll it up, and that I don't have to pick out clumps of hair from the bathtub drain after a shower. However, a session with the blow dryer in the morning is now on the morning schedule.

pony mom
5-11-11, 9:40pm
Congratulations!! Working in a salon I see so many women that are slaves to their hair. So many women hide behind their hair and it's amazing how much prettier women (and younger looking) look when their hair is short. I've had super-short hair most of my life: spikey, flat, and recently a pixie and I loved it. Just recently grew it to shoulder length and although I look and feel more girlie, I miss my short cut. A new 'do is the biggest change you can do for your appearance and if you don't like it, wait a few months and try a new style when it grows out.

Red haircolor is the hardest to maintain, as it fades really quickly. Be sure to use a color-safe shampoo (or definitely an SLS-free one). There are some tinted shampoos you can try to extend the color too.