PDA

View Full Version : What makes you unique?

Greg44
5-11-11, 9:25pm
I was thinking about this today as I drove by a pawn shop - there are several in the area I work in and I have NEVER stepped foot in a pawn shop. This is sort of a strange intro to my topic, but what makes you unique? Something you do, have done, been to, haven't done? etc. that makes you - you!

I am still racking my brain around this - and maybe after I see some of your responses I will think of something else!

So my uniquiness - My dw and I share the exact same birth date -- day/month/year -- okay, she is a few hours older, so she says she robbed the craddle when she married me!

What makes you unique!

pony mom
5-11-11, 9:56pm
I've never had more than a sip or two of soda or anything carbonated. The bubbles burn my mouth.

I'm the wacko that has silly voices for animals so they can voice their opinions. My late dog had a British accent and a lisp.

I think I have near-perfect ears. Not too big or small, don't stick out, nice lobes and never pierced. As a bodyworker, I've massaged a lot of ears and there are a lot of unique-in-an-odd-way ones out there.

I always think "I'm so sorry" when I see a dead animal or bird on the road.

Mrs-M
5-11-11, 10:20pm
I'm a traditionalist through and through.

Old-fashioned to the bone.

poetry_writer
5-12-11, 3:49pm
I believe I am made in the image of God, and there is no one like me on the planet. Every person is one of a kind.

catherine
5-12-11, 4:32pm
Every time I think I'm unique, I find out I'm not. But if I have to have a claim to fame, one of them might be the fact that the four different obstetricians I had for my kids were not so much a doctor as a catcher.

--Baby #1: When the doctor and DH went to get their delivery gowns on, I felt an urge to push, and said to myself, "oh, just one push won't hurt." Then I heard my son crying from the bottom of the table--no one was in the room. Boom. Done.
--Baby #2: Put the stew on the stove for my MIL, asked my BIL to drive me to the hospital, had the baby 20 minutes later. Boom. Done.
--Baby #3: Went to hospital at 9am. Doctor told me to wait, he had surgery. As Bob Barker was announcing the Showcase Showdown, the doc barely had his surgical gloves off in time to catch Cameron. Boom. Done by the time Barker was telling us to have our pets spayed and neutered.
--Baby #4: Knew I was in labor, went to the doctor's office. By the time I got to the examining room, it was time to call an ambulance to get me to the hospital. Told the doctor I had the urge to push. Doc said, "So, push." Baby was born in the ambulance, and the driver told me I almost made childbirth look easy. That might make me unique.

kitten
5-12-11, 4:50pm
Ha ha, you don't mess around ;)

Every time I think I'm unique, I find out I'm not. But if I have to have a claim to fame, one of them might be the fact that the four different obstetricians I had for my kids were not so much a doctor as a catcher.

--Baby #1: When the doctor and DH went to get their delivery gowns on, I felt an urge to push, and said to myself, "oh, just one push won't hurt." Then I heard my son crying from the bottom of the table--no one was in the room. Boom. Done.
--Baby #2: Put the stew on the stove for my MIL, asked my BIL to drive me to the hospital, had the baby 20 minutes later. Boom. Done.
--Baby #3: Went to hospital at 9am. Doctor told me to wait, he had surgery. As Bob Barker was announcing the Showcase Showdown, the doc barely had his surgical gloves off in time to catch Cameron. Boom. Done by the time Barker was telling us to have our pets spayed and neutered.
--Baby #4: Knew I was in labor, went to the doctor's office. By the time I got to the examining room, it was time to call an ambulance to get me to the hospital. Told the doctor I had the urge to push. Doc said, "So, push." Baby was born in the ambulance, and the driver told me I almost made childbirth look easy. That might make me unique.

flowerseverywhere
5-12-11, 4:56pm
I quilt, sew and make pottery and only make exactly what I like. I would rather give stuff away to the right person than sell it.

I have huge gardens all over my property, I can grow stuff that should not grow in my zone. I keep digging stuff up and giving it away but always have tons of plants to share with others. In the winter I have pots of plants all over the house waiting for the snow to melt.

I have never had a manicure or pedicure and have no plans to.

HappyHiker
5-12-11, 5:19pm
Me, unique? Of course! It's my smile, most everyone responds to it with one of their own. I like smiling, it makes me happy, too. I wish we'd all smile and laugh more often. Wishing you joy!

Kathy WI
5-12-11, 5:47pm
I can figure out how to play just about any instrument without being taught. I can visualize notes and chords. I could sing harmonies and read music when I was a really little kid.

bae
5-12-11, 6:33pm
My words are easy to understand
And my actions are easy to perform
Yet no other can understand or perform them.

My words have meaning; my actions have reason;
Yet these cannot be known and I cannot be known.

Xmac
5-12-11, 9:29pm
My fingerprint.

Kat
5-13-11, 7:36am
I love George W. Bush. Surely that counts. ;-)

My smile is unique, too. I kind of have fangs like a vampire. I hated it growing up; I am pale, too, and kids were mean. But now that I am grown, I kind of like it. The dentist always offers to file them down for me, and I say, "No, thanks!" It is part of what makes me....me.

bagelgirl
5-13-11, 4:59pm
There are many widely known television shows that I have NEVER seen, (other than a minute while channel surfing). Oprah Winfrey, Saturday Night Live and all those medical dramas in the 90s.

Charity
5-13-11, 5:03pm
Hmmm. Being an identical twin, obviously I'm not physically unique. So I'll go with the fact that I don't own a cell phone.

Anne Lee
5-13-11, 5:04pm
I dunno if these make me truly unique, but these are the things that make me the odd man out often.
I don't like the Beatles.
Oatmeal, all oatmeal, even steel cut oatmeal with nuts, leaves me ravenously hungry by 10AM. Which is a shame because I like oatmeal.

catherine
5-13-11, 6:19pm

OMG! That's CAN'T be true!

That's OK, Anne, Lee, I still love you anyway....

Greg44
5-13-11, 7:01pm

Oh, my wife is with you here - she can't stand any/all of them/their music/etc.
I think they were lacking with their lyrics -- when in doubt, just repeat that line
over and over and over again!

Greg44
5-13-11, 7:16pm
Just thought of a couple more -- I have been selling motorcycles for 30+ years and don't have a motorcycle endorsement! Never have rode, just no interest in driving down the highway with nothing around me. Some people love that feeling, just never appealed to me. I had a "river guide" customer who just couldn't believe I didn't ride. I said, "this has always been work", so I asked him, "on your weekends do you "go fishing?" (he doesn't) He said "ahh I get your point!"

Being vegetarian -- I have no one in my circle of friends/family that are vegetarian. Most think I am crazy, but that is okay!

Camping -- I love the outdoors, hiking, etc. But camping just doesn't appeal to me, hauling all that stuff out, bringing back all dirty, having to clean it all up, store it, etc. I have lots of friends that go camping every chance they can...I just say, "I work hard so we are not homeless, why take my vacation time and pretend that we are?" :0!

treehugger
5-13-11, 8:10pm
Camping -- I love the outdoors, hiking, etc. But camping just doesn't appeal to me, hauling all that stuff out, bringing back all dirty, having to clean it all up, store it, etc. I have lots of friends that go camping every chance the can...I just say, "I work hard so we are not homeless, why take my vacation time and pretend that we are!!":0!

This is hiliarious and I can totally relate to everything you said. And I was raised in a hard core camping family (we went on a 2-week hiking trip with burros as pack animals when I was 5; my 75-y-o aunt still leads extended backpacking trips into the Sierras and Utah and Alaska). So, I am definitely an anomly among my relations in regards to my non-love of camping.

I can't think of anything that makes me truly unique. I have a lot of traits and qualities that make me different from most of my friends, coworkers, acquaintances, and relations (heck, just being female and not wanting children is a biggie). So, I am often the odd one out in my real life (which is totally fine), but I have found lots of compatriots online. :)

Being a living kidney donor puts me in a pretty small club. A greyhound owner is another relatively small group. Getting married at 21 and still being happily married 15 years later is also somewhat special, and actually unique among my family, including my 7 parents and 8 siblings.

Kara

rosarugosa
5-13-11, 8:45pm
Anne Lee: I am with you on the Beatles! But DH turned me into a DeadHead about 8 years ago. I remember trying on a shirt at Talbot's several years ago, and thinking "this will go well under my suits at work, but will be great for the Ozzy/Rob Zombie concert with jeans!" I realized at the time that there probably weren't too many women at Talbot's looking to multipurpose their wardrobes in quite that same way.
Gregg: I am so with you on the camping thing. It sounds like PUNISHMENT. I want my bed and my indoor plumbing and my percolator. DH has gone to some concert camping weekends, and has said "You should come, really, you'll have a great time." And I said, "No, I'm fairly certain I would make us both miserable. Have a good time, and leave me something to eat while you're gone." He did, and we were both happy :)
It's funny that discussing our "uniqueness" just shows some of our commonalities. No TV, soft drinks, cell phone, or microwave for me. The TV thing often sets me apart from other humans. I get maybe an hour of second hand TV a year. And I would rather watch paint dry than watch a sporting event, and I make no bones about it.

Mighty Frugal
5-14-11, 9:55pm
I am naturally left handed but my mother forced me to eat with my right hand. So now I eat with my right and write with my left. I am the only person I know who can eat a bowl of soup whilst writing a letter at the same time.....

And since I'm a natural leftie I can eat with my left....so when my kids were young I'd spoon feed them with my left and eat my own meal with my right..

I hate all seafood-including shellfish....I've discovered that this makes me unique

hmmm..mine are all about eating-hee

oh, I am only 5' 4" yet I've got huge feet-size nine.....I always say 'I may not have long legs but I've got long feet'

porcelain
5-14-11, 11:09pm
I've never tried a bloody mary, never smoked marijuana (pretty weird in my hippy town), I'm vegan and I've had plastic surgery :)

redfox
5-15-11, 2:43am
Nuthin'... I'm a pretty plain ol' crazy grandma hippie feminist type. Dime-a-dozen in Seattle!

maribeth
5-15-11, 10:36pm
I have been on a few TV quiz shows. This makes me interesting to normal people, but lately I have found it hard to come up with things that are interesting enough for TV quiz show casting directors.

I collect unusual covers of popular songs. I can knit, sew and fix things. I like to cook but hate to bake. I live in a beach town but don't really participate in beachy activities that much -- I just like to know that the ocean is there if I need it.

I also hate camping, and am finally totally at peace with that.

Kat
5-16-11, 7:34am
@mighty frugal--my feet are on the bigger side, too--size 10.
@ porcelain--I've never done smoked marijuana, either. Actually, I have never done any drugs (I mean like illegal drugs--I have taken prescription drugs) or smoked a cigarette. Just never appealed to me.

This is such an interesting thread. I love learning more about the people here! :-)

Spartana
5-16-11, 5:43pm
I believe I am made in the image of God, and there is no one like me on the planet. Every person is one of a kind.

Hmmmm..... aren't ALL people suppose to be made in the image of God? I thought that was one of the basic tenents of Christianity. I am the opposite - not particularly unique or varied from anyone else. I see more similarities than differences when I look at other's irregarless of the lives we lead. But my life has been VERY interesting and I've done alot of unusual things (like guarding Pres Bush the Elder (and little Georgie the Second when he was in short pants still - even though he's much older than me :-)) back in my Coast Guard days) so I guess I have no complaints :-)!

Spartana
5-16-11, 5:48pm
oh, I am only 5' 4" yet I've got huge feet-size nine.....I always say 'I may not have long legs but I've got long feet'

I'm 5'10" and have tiny feet - a size 7. I'm like a Weeble-Wobble, tip me over and watch me fall! Or is it that Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Yep, that's right!

I also don't own a smart phone, I-pad or I-pod or I-anything, don't have a digital camera, don't have a CD player (I'm also pretty much totally deaf from an accident in the Service), no TV, no interenet access at home (that is getting more unique everyday), and... well so many more that aren't really unique but a bit different and maybe odd to others.

Lainey
5-16-11, 11:15pm
I like both high-brow culture and low-brow culture - I can enjoy hours of classical music or watching hearings and involved discussions on C-Span, and then switch to something like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and laugh pretty hard. I can enjoy a $200 bottle of wine or a $2 bottle of beer pretty much equally.

I like writing letters - actual letters on paper that you fold and put into an envelope with a stamp to mail them, not e-mail. I wrote every week for 5 years to a relative who was incarcerated.

jennipurrr
5-17-11, 1:04pm
Oh I don't know how unique I am...aside from the finger prints and the DNA of course...

But I do hate bananas. I haven't met anyone in real life that truly hates them...a few "I don't care for bananas" but no hate. I have been averse to them since they tried to get me to eat banana baby food. The smell of bananas physically repulses me and the slightest taste of them gets my gag reflex going.

babr
5-17-11, 4:15pm
i was referred once as kooky; strange as if everyone is going downstream then i am usually heading in the opposite direction; got it from my mother; who embarrassed me as a kid; now i embrace her uniqueness

dh says i camp inside our condo and i think he is right; my mom says she took me camping when i was three weeks old!

Spartana
5-17-11, 4:18pm
I like both high-brow culture and low-brow culture

Me too - My two favorite shows are the classics on PBS's Masterpiece Theatre and Southpark - OK and Family Guy too :-)

poetry_writer
5-20-11, 10:26am
Hmmmm..... aren't ALL people suppose to be made in the image of God? I thought that was one of the basic tenents of Christianity. I am the opposite - not particularly unique or varied from anyone else. I see more similarities than differences when I look at other's irregarless of the lives we lead. But my life has been VERY interesting and I've done alot of unusual things (like guarding Pres Bush the Elder (and little Georgie the Second when he was in short pants still - even though he's much older than me :-)) back in my Coast Guard days) so I guess I have no complaints :-)!

Yes. All are made in the image of God and all are UNIQUE. one of a kind.

mattj
5-20-11, 6:44pm
I laugh out loud every time I read Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground.

Gardenarian
5-23-11, 5:52pm
I was a child prodigy.
Not particularly prodigiuous now :)

Greg44
5-23-11, 8:15pm
I was a child prodigy.
Not particularly prodigiuous now :)

...and what your talent?

Bronxboy
5-23-11, 9:31pm
Speaking of feet, my shoe size has gone from 10 1/2 to 13 since my early 20s.

Bronxboy
6-1-11, 10:28pm
I have a unique skill at killing perfectly good discussion threads on this site.

Mighty Frugal
6-2-11, 5:11pm
I have a unique skill at killing perfectly good discussion threads on this site.
Not this time buddy. ;)

mm1970
6-2-11, 10:49pm
Hmm...
I've never smoked anything, not a cig, cigar, joint, nothing.
I've never done an illegal drug.
I don't have any piercings or tattoos.
I've never had a mani or a pedi.

Maybe all those things TOGETHER make me somewhat unique.

I'm a cooking-quilting-mommying-exercising-yoga-ing-female engineer. But you know? I even know at least one other quilting engineer in town, so maybe that's not all that unique.

Bronxboy
6-4-11, 8:35pm
Not this time buddy. ;)

Thanks!!!

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 2:20pm
Originally posted by Greg44.
Camping -- I love the outdoors, hiking, etc. But camping just doesn't appeal to me, hauling all that stuff out, bringing back all dirty, having to clean it all up, store it, etc. I have lots of friends that go camping every chance they can...I just say, "I work hard so we are not homeless, why take my vacation time and pretend that we are?"I love this. I have visited and revisited it many, many times...