PDA

View Full Version : Hi from mid-Michigan

benhyr
5-11-11, 10:42pm
Gotta say, I'm glad to have found you guys... so far, from what I've been reading, I don't feel so weird any more :~).

My wife and I just bought a house and our goal this year is getting control of our food budget and food supply. To that end, we thought we might try a little gardening. And, since we've read that a lot of people make the mistake of starting out too big, we're planning a little, tiny, can't hardly see it on a map, postage-stamp size, 2500 square foot garden. We're about 500 square feet there so far. Man, talk about a great workout!

So far (knock on wood), it's been going great. We've successfully started about 600 seedlings and all of the direct sown stuff is coming up (beginners luck and all that).

Oh, I suppose there's more to me than gardening, but lately it sure doesn't feel like it :|(

fidgiegirl
5-11-11, 11:16pm
Welcome. I can see that your sense of humor will be a fun addition to the forums!!

Rosemary
5-12-11, 7:55am
Welcome from another northern (MN) gardener!

benhyr
5-12-11, 10:51am
thank you!

We actually moved here from Minneapolis, Rosemary. We'll have to exchange garden notes; I still have a ton to learn!

Mrs-M
5-12-11, 11:01am
Welcome Benhyr! http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/maison/jardiner/jardinage0.gif

goldensmom
5-12-11, 12:37pm
Mid-Michigan Garden Rule: No direct seed sowing until after Memorial Day unless it is peas and potatoes or you are really, really lucky and everything isn't killed by the frost and snow and hail. Is it peas and potatoes?

benhyr
5-12-11, 12:41pm
Mid-Michigan Garden Rule: No direct seed sowing until after Memorial Day unless it is peas and potatoes or you are really, really lucky and everything isn't killed by the frost and snow and hail. Is it peas and potatoes?

peas, potatoes, lettuce and spinach direct sown. Cabbage, broccoli and onion seedlings hardened off and transplanted. Cabbage and broccoli has a light frost cover over it until it's a bit better established / cabbage bugs aren't a problem.

Oh, and these are all in raised beds... which, we'll see if that makes a difference with anything. So far, the soil has gotten warmer sooner and it's draining quicker after the rain.

goldensmom
5-12-11, 12:57pm
Raised beds make the difference. I've had good success in the past planting peas and potatoes on Good Friday (that would be a tradition on Mrs. M's tradition thread) but didn't get to it this year. I have the best little garden growing in the greenhouse but won't transplant until after June 1.

Float On
5-12-11, 1:58pm
Hi benhyr, Mid-Michigan! I drool over some of the properties listed in that area - looks so lush and so inexpensive right now. We do art shows in St Joe and Detroit and I always say I'd love to move up to that area. Until winter, then I'm happy being in SWMO. I won't get my MI fix this summer - we can'c out of those shows for this year.