PDA

View Full Version : Kib's Journal

kib
12-29-10, 5:23pm
1/1/2011. New year, new forums, new me? Well, not really, same old me, but hopefully always evolving. :cool:

I started my simple living journey about 15 years ago at age 33, and have been with SLN for 10 years or so. I have been retired, quasi-retired and for the last five years I've been a housewife, which I have discovered is not the same thing as being retired at all! Currently I live with a husband and four cats in a small town in southern Arizona, always subject to review. (The town, not the husband, I've grown rather fond of him.)

Lately I've become very interested in peak oil, Transition Towns and the idea of decentralizing - creating more self-sufficient, sustainable "local-focus" towns and cities that might better weather the coming changes I anticipate in economics, ecology and perhaps politics as well.

My goal for the coming year is to think more about this and try to come up with some strategies for creating a life that is both sustainable and connected. Looking forward to a positive 2011 - and beyond!

Gregg
12-31-10, 6:33pm
Ya know what Kib, you and I share several interests. Maybe we could find a way to discuss some of these ideas in more detail over the next several years. How to do it? Wait...we're live!!! Happy New Year and happy new forum!

sweetana3
1-1-11, 8:54am
Hi Kib. Hope this new forum is as great as the last one.

I am retired in Indiana with no kids and four cats. Will probably stay here with hubby who I have been married to for 38 years, soon to be 39.

Over the next 10 or so years, I am going to declutter and hopefully clean out so we can downsize again. All my closets are full to bursting and most of the stuff is unnecessary since we never ever use it.

peggy
1-1-11, 5:43pm
kib, I'm surprised you didn't list writing as one of your pursuits/interests. You really have a knack, especially humor.
Good luck in all your goals. Happy New Year.

Mrs-M
1-2-11, 5:32pm
Love your journal Kib!

kib
1-6-11, 2:22pm
Sigh. 1/6/10

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=130&d=1294336459

kib
1-30-11, 12:11pm
Not a lot of update, my hair is now an interesting shade of aubergine, and the conditioner included with the dye has put it in better shape and increased the waviness. Theoretically temporary but going on a month, I'm starting to get used to it! In fact, I'm starting to marvel over it. How shallow can you get, but I've never had hair I liked, this is a pleasing new experience.

Going to be traveling for the next month or so, driving from here to Indiana to pick up Hubby from his time overseas and then taking a "reacquaintance tour" back through the states. Looking forward to everything but the weather! Hopefully when I get home again it will be time for spring planting and more work on the rain cachement irrigation system. Having half a year to myself has been interesting, I still don't feel entirely clear and uncluttered in my stuff or even my mind, but I do feel like progress has been made.

Just have to add a little personal observation ... I burst into tears not once but twice yesterday, the first time saying goodbye to a dear friend who is moving away and the second time on meeting another dear friend I've somehow avoided for months. I really want to look more deeply into my friendships and how much they enrich my life, if only I let them ... time is too short to be a hermit if I feel this positive upon reconnecting.

loosechickens
1-30-11, 8:05pm
there really IS no substitute for dear friends in our lives, even for us complete introverts.......I have great "hermit" tendencies myself, but the older I've gotten, the more I've come to realize that at least a few deep friendships are a positive thing, even for us hermits, and maybe more so for us hermits, who don't bleed off that "social" need in a dozen different directions as so many extroverts do.

kib
3-21-11, 12:34pm
Just a quick note, set off on 2-1 and after some unexpected bumps in the road - figurative and literal - I'm finally back home and lurking again. Thanks to everyone for their concern, and I hope you're ready to enjoy Spring at last, I know I am. :)

Spartana
3-22-11, 2:42pm
Just a quick note, set off on 2-1 and after some unexpected bumps in the road - figurative and literal - I'm finally back home and lurking again. Thanks to everyone for their concern, and I hope you're ready to enjoy Spring at last, I know I am. :)

Geeze I was about to send out the calvery looking for you :-)! Glad to see you are back. Now you need to start posting some more and enliven the boards.

Mrs-M
3-27-11, 9:58am
Hi Kib. Yeah, when are you going to come back to us again? Huh? :) Your hair looks beautiful! So thick and healthy! Very nice colour too. OK now, let's review. Finish up your re-acquaintance tour, then get your http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/yback.gif back here and start posting again would you! :laff:

fidgiegirl
3-27-11, 10:24am
Glad you made it back!!