PDA

View Full Version : What have you made from something else?

kally
5-12-11, 5:37pm
What creative uses have you come up with for things that originally had different uses.

Example:

We had this little round 3 level brass shelf in the bathroom that stood on the floor and held bits and pieces. Each shelf was glass and it was covered in dust all the time. I took it apart and was just going to through it out when dh had an idea.

We stuck it in the garden, popped it's feet in the soil and placed a big dish in place of the top shelf and voila, we have a bird bath or water dish for birds. We can place it far enough away from branches and walls that the cats can't reach it.

Your turn to shine.

Kathy WI
5-12-11, 5:49pm
One end table in our living room is a concrete bird bath with a round piece of glass on it.

catherine
5-12-11, 5:56pm
I made cookies for a Valentine's Day party that I overcooked. They didn't look burnt but were as hard as a rock and completely inedible. So I drilled holes in them and hung them with ribbon as decorations.

Also, I have a chair that has really worn upholstery but I don't want to invest in new covers, so I took an old lace tablecloth and use it as a slipcover. It's in the bedroom so it adds a little romance.

bae
5-12-11, 7:20pm
We were travelling last week, and we all forgot dental floss, but needed some. I disassembled some 550 parachute cord that I had handy in my pack (for lashing, shoelace replacement, etc.), and the inner strands made quite decent floss.

catherine
5-12-11, 7:42pm
We were travelling last week, and we all forgot dental floss, but needed some. I disassembled some 550 parachute cord that I had handy in my pack (for lashing, shoelace replacement, etc.), and the inner strands made quite decent floss.

Holy cow--I don't think I'm THAT committed to flossing! I'd just brush, and wait til I got home, but glad it worked for you!

bae
5-12-11, 7:46pm
Holy cow--I don't think I'm THAT committed to flossing! I'd just brush, and wait til I got home, but glad it worked for you!

Well, sometimes it is essential if something gets caught where it shouldn't be, to avoid the nasty pain several hours later.

kally
5-12-11, 8:01pm
I have seen people using their own hair for flossing. I guess when you wanna floss; ya wanna floss.

Float On
5-12-11, 8:25pm
Made a mirror from a stove pipe grate. Repurpose a lot of clothes into new clothes. Have a table cloth that I intend to make into a skirt next.

Juds
5-12-11, 9:33pm
I upcycle clothing into bags, purses, totes, backpacks and different clothing. Everyone uses old fabrics for quilting and other crafts, so I am no different there. One of my friends asked me to make her a purse from a suit jacket that had belonged to her father. She likes it so much that she refuses to use it, just in case it gets dirty or something happens to it.

In exchange for making the purse, she gave me several old denim overalls, some vintage tablecloths and other linens, and a small box of fabric samples that she got from the garment district in NY in the 70s. So, I made her a denim purse and she has since embroidered the heck out of it. Really lovely. I also make frames and boxes from old furniture and metal junk. I made a birdbath from stacked and epoxied terracotta flower pots.

Oh, and last summer I made some old, broken furniture into a lovely bonfire in the neighbor's fire pit.

danna
5-12-11, 9:36pm
Recently made pull type drawers for the bottom shelves of my cupboards from heavy duty boxes from the grocery store. My old back won't let me bend to reach for the lost items at the back of these shelves anymore and this has solved the problem very cheaply.
I have made cushion covers from skirts (with detail/or buttons down the front)
Old cotton shower curtain/other curtains/tablecloths into tea towels, napkins
A lovely heavy plastic flower vase into a toilet brush holder...
all I can think of for now

Maxamillion
5-12-11, 11:10pm
Not sure if it counts but I'm using bedsheets for curtains right now. I made a shelf for my VHS tapes out of a couple of cardboard boxes. I took some throwaway plastic containers (like Sunny D bottles and a plastic jug that kitty litter came in) and cut them down and am using them for flowerpots. I also bought a couple of large containers from the dollar store and am using those as flowerpots.

fidgiegirl
5-12-11, 11:13pm
Ooh! Ooh! Tomorrow, if I remember, I'm gonna take some pics for this one! :D Perfect thread for it.

madgeylou
5-13-11, 8:43am
years ago, when i was making album cover purses and had my own laminating machine, i made a wall hanging out of some pretty pieces of origami paper and some cable ties. so far i have hung it in 6 different homes, and it always transforms the room!

i made curtains out of a tablecloth ... i make dresses out of curtains ... fabric is fabric i guess :)

iris lily
5-13-11, 9:54am
Oh, we are always hauling crap home from the alleys thinking that we will use it for something else, although less so lately since I am trying to curb that clutter bug.

But a few years ago we made outdoor plant hangers from bird cage stands. At the time I thought they were clever, but now I think they are hideous. They are one of the things I'm putting on my Birthday "un-present" list to get rid of. DH has to agree, never easy.

iris lily
5-13-11, 10:11am
I've never understood the concept of buying a soap dish when there are untold dishes around to adapt for that. Right now I've got a soap dish that is a pretty royal blue, a piece of depression glass, that I found abandoned.

bke
5-13-11, 10:28am
We do this kind of thing all the time. The towel racks in the bath are handicap accesible bars, Dh corraled the lilac bush out back with old roofing tiles. Gosh there should be a million things to add but nothing is coming to mind.

I think my favorite is the time I turned the pantleg of an old pair of jeans into a bag for my clothes pins. I sewed a wire coat hanger into the rim to hang it on the clothes line. I didn't think much of it but my visiting mother-in-law was surprised and impressed that I didn't spend money and buy one.

Keep it, fix it and find a way to reuse it is definitely a motto we live by.

kally
5-13-11, 10:54am
I like the roofing tiles idea.

I've never understood the concept of buying a soap dish when there are untold dishes around to adapt for that. Right now I've got a soap dish that is a pretty royal blue, a piece of depression glass, that I found abandoned.

H-work
5-13-11, 12:25pm
When I was putting up our artificial Christmas tree, the cheap holder kept crumbling and wouldn't hold the tree up. I was on my hands and knees trying different screws and bolts when I spied the picnic table's heavy cast iron umbrella out on the deck thru the sliding glass door. Voila, instant Christmas tree stand.

Our chickens water bottle cracked from frozen water. Instead of buying a new one, I googled how to make my own. Made one from a Gatorade container and a pie dish. The funny thing, it doesn't crack in the freezing weather and has held up so much better than the expensive one from the feed store.

redfox
5-13-11, 1:48pm
Unwaxed floss makes good suture material. I've used it on my sheep when I needed to do an emergency repair. I'd use it on myself if I was in a similar emergency...

Weston
5-13-11, 1:54pm
I have on occasion been accused of making a mountain out of a molehill. Does that count?

redfox
5-13-11, 1:57pm

I have a gorgeous abalone shell I use for a soap dish. It's just so pretty! And, yeah, specialty dishes like this are odd - I say this as a dishes collector! I like re-purposing vintage stuff I find at Goodwill as the pieces are cool designs, and everything I bring home is open to use - no precious anything that just sits on the shelf. Though the cobalt blue coffee pot from the 30's doesn't actually get to have coffee in it - I don't trust the glaze with hot liquids...

Yesterday I bought three panels of heaving linen curtains that are a fab early 60's, mid-century print. They're getting dismantled and made into table linens, and I am considering making some of the fabric - I have 12 yards - into roller shades. I bought a bolt of vintage 60's era heavy linen at Goodwill years ago which is about 22 yards long, and the print is also very cool. I used the entire piece as a banquet table cloth when we had 33 people over for Thanksgiving. The Fiesta dishes looked superb on its vibrant colors. It's folded up waiting for the next banquet, or some kind of inspiration. I think I paid $10 for it. Yup, fabric is fabric! I have a lot of it too... I grew up sewing, and love to create new cool things for friends & fam out of these raw materials.

Juds
5-13-11, 11:10pm
I have on occasion been accused of making a mountain out of a molehill. Does that count?

Gosh, sounds good to me!

Unwaxed floss makes good suture material. I've used it on my sheep when I needed to do an emergency repair. I'd use it on myself if I was in a similar emergency...

This is too cool. I once used button thread to hold a wound closed until we could get my neighbor's dog to the emergency clinic. Just a couple of stitches, but it made me queasy. Years later I became a vet assistant and now nothing bothers me.

frugal-one
5-14-11, 6:05am
Went to a yard sale yesterday and my DH found a new plexiglass that goes under desk chairs for $1. I asked where he was going to put it and he replied he was going to cut it up and install it in the screen doors in winter. Said he purchased a piece for that purpose last winter and the small piece was over $20.

A few days ago I was weeding an area and having difficulty with the dandelion remover. DH saw my dilemma and gave me a tool that he has... a gasket scraper! The best weed digger ever!

danna
5-14-11, 9:41am
A few years back we bought a double bed headboard; yardsale $3.00 and DH attached it to the wall with brackets and it made a really neat side runoff for my desk. When we had company stay in that room it became a shelf for their suitcase...
The new wood to do this would have been much more and not been a nice finished piece..you gotta love thinking outside the box..

madgeylou
5-14-11, 10:26am
on the dish angle ... i really like sewing with a magnetic pincushion (as opposed to the kind that you stick pins in). but the ones at joann's were ugly and i hate joann's anyway. so i glued a few magnet to the bottom of a vintage dish and presto, my own magnetic pincushion for a quarter.

redfox
5-14-11, 2:43pm
on the dish angle ... i really like sewing with a magnetic pincushion (as opposed to the kind that you stick pins in). but the ones at joann's were ugly and i hate joann's anyway. so i glued a few magnet to the bottom of a vintage dish and presto, my own magnetic pincushion for a quarter.

Ok, gotta steal this idea! Thanks.

Mrs-M
5-14-11, 4:12pm
You guys are amazing! I give myself a failing grade in this area as I have nothing to share.

Stella
5-14-11, 4:50pm
Ok, gotta steal this idea! Thanks.

+1 Great idea!

Selah
5-14-11, 7:28pm
Not exactly re-purposing, because I bought the item new for the purpose I used it for, but I bought a plastic box filled with tiny drawers from the hardware store (normally used to hold screws, nails, etc.) and use it as an extremely handy jewelry box. It has a handle on the top, and that old box has travelled with me for nearly twenty years!

Oh yeah...I bought old white cotton sheets at Goodwill, dyed them, and made them into tablecloths for my wedding! Thinking back, I also painted a pair of black sandals pearly white and stuck fake pearls onto them for my wedding shoes...DH and I are getting remarried in June and I'm going to wear them, and the dress, again!

setis
5-15-11, 4:51pm
I changed items but not from the original function other then what has already been mentioned. I changed my 110 volt lamps into 12 volt. Working on changing a 48 passenger school bus into a camper. Maybe ice chests into pet food containers.Keeps fresh longer and critters out. My oldest cat Bubba likes to open the freshest bag from the bottom.

bke
5-15-11, 5:43pm
Weston-I'm still chuckling about your answer. Too cute.

We recieved a set of wood tv trays as a wedding gift almost 14 yrs ago. (Gulp, have I really been married that long??!) I think they have served as tables in pretty much every room of the house: bedside tables, telephone tables, bathroom vanity tables, etc. I cover them with cloth napkins or doilies that my MIL made depending on the look I want to achieve.

We get a lot of gallon jugs at work and repurpose them over and over. People use them for cat food, honey, maple syrup, even to store candy for vending machines. Its also common for people to request our 5 gallon pickle buckets for some of the same things as well as construction crews using them. My father used them to create ground-level planters for things he didn't want to have wander freeling through his flower garden.

Simplicity
5-15-11, 6:09pm
Am in the process today of making curtains out of sheets. I bought a set of sheets at a home show a while back that were labeled Queen size, but are only Double. Very very angry over that. But now I,m making curtains for the bedroom out of them instead, so I guess that should make me feel better.

I have a zillion tomato and pepper plants started in the kitchen. As they grow out of their little pots, I have been cutting plastic 2 litre pop bottles and juice bottles in half and using those for pots for them.

DH is out in the pooring rain right now (crazy man!) finishing up the chicken coop that we built out of old boards that used to be a deck, and 2x4's that were on the floor of his utility trailer.

I'm always reusing plastic containers for something. Large buckets from the ice cream shop are particularly useful. I put my homemade laundry soap in one, cat litter in one, dog food in one, etc. I need to find something like this, but bigger, for chicken feed soon.

Oh! My favorite one! I made a "rag quilt" (with the frayed seams) out of old jeans and flannel. I bought the flannel, but all of the denim came from old jeans and jean skirts. I even left some of the pocets on.

I'm sure there are lots more, but that's all I can think of right now.

redfox
5-15-11, 6:13pm
Taking a break from my IKEA hack potting bench - using some old pine board shelves that I am re-configuring. I've discovered that I embody the phrase 'hacking'. Not very many square corners or neat edges in my re-do. Good thing it's an outdoor utility work-station.

I'm finishing it with a cool blue exterior stain & preservative that matches a project a few years ago, and hung two pot holders and a utility bar on it that I've had hanging around - fun with leftovers!

early morning
5-15-11, 10:43pm
We made a free-standing TP holder out of a holder for fire-place tools. We re-use or re-purpose lots of fabric stuff, as many others have mentioned. Many of our re-purposed things are outside. We plant in all sorts of things- my newest fancy planter is a newish pedestal & sink. Another old pedestal is topped with an old grinding wheel, for an outdoor table. My patio table's top is an old (decommissioned, properly acquired!) STOP sign. I just trash-picked an old metal hose reel with a cool wooden handle, and will put a piece of recycled plexi on for a top. It too will become a yard or patio side table. Front porch planter is a small water tank from an old well pump, cut in half length-wise. We use old crocks for trash cans, and the cat food container is a very large - I think it holds 3 gallons- granite coffee pot. The window box on the shed is an old wire bike basket. I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of at the moment.

Kat
5-16-11, 10:01am
I stumbled across this over the weekend and thought it was pretty ingenius:

http://choosetothrive.blogspot.com/2011/05/flower-planter-from-cake.html

This lady is so creative. Her blog is full of projects that use up what she has sitting around.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-16-11, 10:08am
I bought a set of beautiful white battenburg lace curtains, (all cotton, the lace just refers to the cutwork deisgn), at our local mission store a couple of years ago and although I did hang some of them I have used others to make the nicest pillow cases. When I launder them they are so white and crisp! I still have a few left and not sure if I'll use them for more cases or repurpose them for something else.

Mighty Frugal
5-17-11, 10:04pm
There was a sale on Reese pb cups-individually packaged-for 88 cents for 8 of them. After we enjoyed our pb I stopped myself from throwing the interior cardboard packaging into recycling. It is rectangular, snowy white, the four sides are raised-looks like a paper tray. So the boys painted the inside and it totally looks like a picture complete with frame. I chose a still life, my youngest painted 2 scenes-a hurricane/thunderstorm and a sunny day. My eldest son painted the CN Tower (he always draws/paints that) and for his other one he drew a pic of The Beatles in concert (his fave band)

redfox
5-18-11, 1:01am
I just scored a free, huge (3 feet tall) heavy wrought iron candelabra which is destined as a trellis for a beautiful lime green mini-clematis. It's already rusty... weighs about 40 pounds, and will be stunning in the perennial garden.

Bugeah
5-18-11, 2:23am
My SIL and I make clutch purses out of old upholstery samples and other scrap fabric that we get from a myriad of places. We also make other things out of scrap fabric such as yoga bags and reusable shopping bags. It's our side business. I also repurpose other items on a regular basis. Some examples: I save large glass jars (pickles, juice, etc), clean them out, and use them for food storage. We built a worm composting bin out of old scrap building materials, down to the silver handles, hinges, and nails. I'm using an old crock pot to make homemade soap in. I cut the top off of a 2-liter bottle and use it as my piggy bank. I know there are lots more little things I repurpose, but that's all I can think of for now.

danna
5-18-11, 2:53pm
I am sure a lot of people do this one
Today taking Dgrandson's too short winter pants and making shorts, and a few long sleeved shirts into short sleeved (they won't fit him by fall)

pony mom
5-19-11, 8:57pm
I use a Dollar Store turkey baster as a vacuum for my betta's 3 gal. fishtank. When my dog died last year, her ashes were returned in a lovely box; 11 years ago, my cat's ashes were returned in a cheap tin box. In TJ Max's bath dept. I found a nice marble box with a lid that makes a much nicer more urn-like container. Nothing too original here.

pony mom
5-19-11, 9:25pm
Ooh, I forgot to mention that I'm using coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch for deodorant and it's fantastic!!! Never thought something so simple could be so effective.

Mrs-M
9-4-12, 2:51pm
Old baby-blanket material turned into a pin-cushion. Tack-stitched to hold the cushion together, with a pocket on one end to slip-in a bar of solid soap.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=856&d=1344024357

Tussiemussies
9-9-12, 6:02am
I upcycle clothing into bags, purses, totes, backpacks and different clothing. Everyone uses old fabrics for quilting and other crafts, so I am no different there. One of my friends asked me to make her a purse from a suit jacket that had belonged to her father. She likes it so much that she refuses to use it, just in case it gets dirty or something happens to it.

In exchange for making the purse, she gave me several old denim overalls, some vintage tablecloths and other linens, and a small box of fabric samples that she got from the garment district in NY in the 70s. So, I made her a denim purse and she has since embroidered the heck out of it. Really lovely. I also make frames and boxes from old furniture and metal junk. I made a birdbath from stacked and epoxied terracotta flower pots.

Oh, and last summer I made some old, broken furniture into a lovely bonfire in the neighbor's fire pit.

Wow Juds, your upcycling sounds so nice. The different items sound really special.:)

Tussiemussies
9-9-12, 6:04am
Old baby-blanket material turned into a pin-cushion. Tack-stitched to hold the cushion together, with a pocket on one end to slip-in a bar of solid soap.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=856&d=1344024357

I love it Mrs. M it really reminds of you, through and through! So cute.:)

MaryHu
9-9-12, 10:03am
I use shoe boxes as "food file boxes" in the freezer to keep it organized. I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I cook extra dried beans and freeze them flat in quart ziploks. I also freeze my homegrown corn, tomatoes, salsa etc the same way. Once hard I can stack them upright in the boxes and see what I have "on file" at a glace instead of having them stacked flat on top of one another and wanting to slide around. Once I tried to pull one box out to see what was in it and it tore so now I put duct tape around the top edge to reinforce.

Hubby found an old treadle sewing machine base for free in the neighborhood. He brought it home and took off the falling apart wooden parts (the actual sewing machine was long gone) and cleaned up and primed and painted the metal. Then he took a piece of birch plywood we had in the garage and stained it which made a table top for it. It now holds our house plants with the treadle being an extra shelf. Since it was made from free parts and stuff we already had on hand the only investment was the primer and paint (and his time, of course).

Mrs-M
9-9-12, 10:04am
Thanks, Tussie. It's not made to the regular ordinary Mrs-M, standards, but I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to dedicate the fabric (forever) to a pincushion, so rather than doing a running stitch on three sides, I tacked-stitched a couple of points to keep it secure (and simple)! Worked great!

Miss Cellane
9-9-12, 10:54am
I've acquired a lot of old household things from various departed relations. In order to keep them, I've decided I have to use them. No good to anyone just moldering away in a drawer or box. Some of the things get used as they were intended, but a few things have new uses.

A large, lovely hand-embroidered table cloth is now my summer bedspread. It probably only has a few years left, so I'm hoping to make some pillows out of the good bits in the future. I'd love to save the monogramed parts, and some of the drawn thread work. And it's just such nice soft linen.

To go along with that, instead of a bedskirt, I pinned old linen napkins, with a lace insert in one corner, along the box spring to hide the boxes stored under the bed.

A saucerless tea cup is my change holder on the dresser.

When we were little, and glasses of milk were getting spilled and the glasses broken on a weekly basis, my parents had brass mugs engraved with our names, in an attempt to stop the carnage. Mine is now my pencil holder on the study desk.

Small silver trays act as coasters. I just leave them out on end tables all the time. Guests, who might not ask for a coaster, seem to grasp their function and use them automatically.

A small serving tray that my grandmother painted holds jewelry on the dresser.

Cut glass wine glasses as candleholders.

A candle holder as a pen/pencil holder in the kitchen.

I've also used new tablecloths as curtains. You can get longer lengths for a smaller price than with real curtains, which, if you are silly enough to move into an apartment with several windows that are 90" tall, not counting the moldings around them, you really need.

Mrs-M
10-2-12, 2:13pm
Lots of super ideas, Miss Cellane!

BayouGirl
10-2-12, 7:33pm
I'm always repurposing something.

I used those large containers that laundry detergent come in (with the push button spigots and a handle to carry them) and fill them with water and keep them in the back of the truck for easy handwashing when we are pecan picking in the pasture or out on the tractor with no access to running water.

I use the cardboard roll from papertowels to stuff full of the plastic grocery store bags. It holds quite a few and I keep one in the trunk, one in the truck, ect.

Like so many others, I use sheets to make curtains.

I save remnants of vanilla candles then melt the remnants with a bit of crayon to make a new colored candle. I just buy those long skinny tapered candles (cut to size) as the wick and pour the wax around it in the glass container that the used up wax came from.

I use old plastic bottles (16 oz or 2 liter) and cut in half to make a funnel.

I use an old syringe filled with water to inject water into dried out markers to make them usable again.

I freeze 2 liter bottle filled with water so Bayouboy can put them in his cooler to keep it cook without having to deal with melting water making things soggy. Those same frozen bottles help fill the freezer and eliminate empty space which keeps it colder and also keeps the freezer colder for longer in a power outage. Also, if we need ice, we just hit the bottle a few times with a hammer, cut it open and have crushed ice.

When making gatorade or punch for a large crew to put in those large 5 gallon coolers barrel type with the spigot, I will freeze 16 0z bottle full of the gatorage or punch and then cut the plastic off of them. This makes large cubes that don't water the drink down when they melt, like ice made from water would.

I save pretty glass jars and bottles with metal lids and scrape off the labels and then paint the lids with pretty nail polish to make various storage containers. I use one that had starbucks iced coffees (as sold in stores) to keep me a small milk jar that I can drink a few sips of and then put back in the fridge (rather than using a cup). I paint the metal lids on mason jars with nail polish and use them to store sewing notions, snacks, etc.

I used 2 large bicycle hooks screwed into a ceiling beam about 3 feet apart and then used a metal clothing rod on them to make a sturdy makeshift clothing rod to hang clothes on.

Our washer broke (the lever that stops the washer when you open the lid is broken, so the washer wont come on when you close the lid). I used a metal turkey skewer with a gallon jug to weight it down to flip the lever up and we have been using it that way for years. The replacement part is not sold and I refuse to buy a new washer when turkey skewer does the job.

I used a crochet hook to fix a toyota truck once. My hapless ex hubby was trying to pull a spring in a tight area and the pliers kept slipping. I asked if he want to try my crochet hook and he gave me a look as if I were nuts and said he knew what he was doing. So i went and got it, put it where he could see it and walked off. He noticed it , used it and the problem was solved in 15 seconds (well 30 minutes and 15 seconds if you count the time he wasted doing it "his way" cuz he "knew what he was doing".

I'm always coming up with bizarre ways to make things work or find a new use for things. Some say it is a gift, some say I am just twisted.

Jilly
10-2-12, 9:59pm
Oooh, crochet hooks!

Fish screws out of the window track (trying to hang a little stained glass thingy.

Pull knit garment snags to the inside and work the ends into the weave. What a blast from the past that is!

Catwoman
10-3-12, 7:47am
I have a set of small silk cocktail napkins from Thailand - signed by some designer who disappeared in jungle over there - some story - but don't think they are actually worth much on ebay. Would like to repurpose them in something for the home. Anybody have suggestions? Thanks!!

Mrs-M
10-3-12, 12:42pm
Catwoman. Are the silk napkins patterned? What colour are they? What are the dimensions?

Gardenarian
10-3-12, 2:56pm
Well, this isn't terribly creative but...

i made a fruit-fly catcher with a jar half filled with beer (poke holes in the lid with a nail.) It's works like a charm when the compost bucket gets out of hand. Interestingly, the fruit flies prefer a good, full-bodied beer - I got nothing when I tried Coors Lite.

shadowmoss
10-5-12, 1:12pm
Even fruit flys know what's good!

JaneV2.0
10-5-12, 2:08pm
My fruit fly solution--a no-kill version--involves putting something fruity in the bottom of a tall jar, then emptying it outside when it attracts a crowd. And emptying the compost bowl periodically. Which reminds me...

Tussiemussies
10-5-12, 9:59pm
Saw on Facebook recently that someone made a pair of mittens from an old sweater. What a great idea. Might be able to make a matching hat if it is for a child...

sweetana3
10-6-12, 5:55am
Tussiemussie: Old sweaters are great. If you felt them a little, assuming they are wool, there are patterns for mittens and you can even line them with fleece. I have seen hats, bags, etc. also made out of old sweaters. They can be made smaller for little ones too.

redfox
10-6-12, 6:12am
I've an entire room dedicated to textiles & stuff for re-purposing... it's a bit wild in there! I routinely take apart & reconfigure lamps from various parts, felt wool yardage for weaving & sewing projects, unravel sweaters for re-use, etc. I love doing it.

decemberlov
10-6-12, 1:30pm
http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/100205160428555358_FnguQBcW_b.jpg

Sweaters are great to reuse. I made a pair of these leg warmers/boot socks from the sleeves of an old sweater.

JaneV2.0
10-6-12, 2:58pm
I've been meaning to felt a thrifted wool sweater for cat bed components.

Mrs-M
10-7-12, 7:56am
Wow, wow, wow!!! I love this thread! Lots and lots of fabulous ideas!

kally
10-8-12, 12:48am
my husband made a hat out of shirt. Well he did it twice. He uses the long part with the buttons on it for the band and then builds the hat out of fabric on the back of the shirt. He is very clever like that.

Tussiemussies
10-8-12, 12:53am
Hi Kally haven't seen you much on the boards here. Nice to see you posting!:)

Tussiemussies
10-8-12, 12:55am
I have a set of small silk cocktail napkins from Thailand - signed by some designer who disappeared in jungle over there - some story - but don't think they are actually worth much on ebay. Would like to repurpose them in something for the home. Anybody have suggestions? Thanks!!

You could buy a shadowbox frame and have them professionally framed at Michael's not frugal, I know, but would make such a beautiful wall hanging!

Tussiemussies
10-8-12, 12:56am
Tussiemussie: Old sweaters are great. If you felt them a little, assuming they are wool, there are patterns for mittens and you can even line them with fleece. I have seen hats, bags, etc. also made out of old sweaters. They can be made smaller for little ones too.

Hi sweets a, yes, they all sound like great ideas and very warm. I love felted wool too!:)

Tussiemussies
10-8-12, 12:58am
http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/100205160428555358_FnguQBcW_b.jpg

Sweaters are great to reuse. I made a pair of these leg warmers/boot socks from the sleeves of an old sweater.

Love those!:)